OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
What terrifies me though is losing Chris Harris.

Why? He's been burned lots of times this year and is on the wrong side of 30. He either a) is on physical decline or b) simply doesn't want to be here. I think it's a combo of both. He packed it in a long time ago.

Reactions: AvsWraith

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
**** the Raiders!

Good end to the season. Lock earned a full fledged shot to start next year.

What terrifies me though is losing Chris Harris.

Meh, Harris was decent, not great. And he's 30.

1st/2nd round picks in 2020 (in no particular order) - CB/OT.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sure enough, Joe Ellis is exerting whatever control he can over the Broncos ownership situation, publicly coming out and saying if the other members of the family don't approve Brittany Bowlen as the new owner, they'll put the team up for sale. Cannot wait until that son of a bitch is gone from this organization. He's brought almost nothing but ruin since weaseling his way in.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I wish there was some way of seeing what golden parachute awaits Ellis and Elway if they sold the team. I’m sure it’s included in their contracts.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wish there was some way of seeing what golden parachute awaits Ellis and Elway if they sold the team. I’m sure it’s included in their contracts.

Something tells me Ellis stands to make a LOT of money if they sell the team, or he just gets to stick around if Brittany Bowlen takes over, since it's obvious if Beth took over he'd get thrown out of Dove Valley quicker than a flag on Vontaze Burfict. Either scenario, he wins.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Ellis is 61 - by the time Brittney took control he'd want to retire. Which makes me think even moreso that he'll want to sell the team. Or he'll want Brittney to pay him off.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017

It's an absurd thing to even consider while Jokic is still playing with that number. To be fair some idiot reporter asked Melo the question, he didn't bring it up on his own, but he still gave a stupid answer. I'm not holding a grudge against Melo for demanding his way out of town any longer, but that still should be a disqualifier if you want your freakin' jersey retired by a franchise.

Reactions: 5280

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
On one hand, the Nuggets were just about the most irrelevant franchise in the league before he hopped on board. They went from nothings to the playoffs his rookie season (and on a side note I still say those power blue and gold jerseys were the 2nd best uniforms the Nuggets have ever worn). They were a really fun team, though part of me felt they made some pretty dumb mistakes building around him.

On the other hand, he demanded a trade to ONE franchise and held the Nuggets over the fire until they did so...the amazing thing is, you could argue the Nuggets ended up winning that trade, even though they themselves came out in the presser afterwards and felt it was way lopsided against them. His career proceeded to flame out in spectacular fashion, and frankly I didn't have any sympathy.

So, yeah, I think he deserves to be honored, at some point, but no way in HELL do I think he deserves to have his number retired. The guy wearing his number right now is already a better player and will likely accomplish way more than he ever hoped to.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm reading that now the Rox are "50/50" on trading Arenado. Drew Creasman, DNVR's beat reporter on the team, dismissed it as clickbait nonsense.

It sounds like they're taking calls which I suppose is fine (IMO you should always, ALWAYS take calls on players, no matter what kind of contract or no-trade clause they may have), but I can't help but think they're looking to move him before his player option comes up, because they don't have confidence he'll choose to stay. And right now, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he decided to bolt. So long as Monfort owns the team they will remain a second-rate franchise.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FTR I'm pretty lukewarm on the Nuggets retiring Dikembe Motumbo's number. Great player, one of the best defensive players of all time, but he played a vast majority of his career elsewhere, and apart from one grand, shining moment in the postseason, the Nuggets really weren't all that great while he was in Denver.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
On one hand, the Nuggets were just about the most irrelevant franchise in the league before he hopped on board. They went from nothings to the playoffs his rookie season (and on a side note I still say those power blue and gold jerseys were the 2nd best uniforms the Nuggets have ever worn). They were a really fun team, though part of me felt they made some pretty dumb mistakes building around him.

On the other hand, he demanded a trade to ONE franchise and held the Nuggets over the fire until they did so...the amazing thing is, you could argue the Nuggets ended up winning that trade, even though they themselves came out in the presser afterwards and felt it was way lopsided against them. His career proceeded to flame out in spectacular fashion, and frankly I didn't have any sympathy.

So, yeah, I think he deserves to be honored, at some point, but no way in HELL do I think he deserves to have his number retired. The guy wearing his number right now is already a better player and will likely accomplish way more than he ever hoped to.

Definitely not trying to diminish what Melo did for the franchise. He was a great Nugget. And yes, his trade demand did actually end up working in the Nuggets favor (they easily could have held out hope that they could re-sign him and then lose him for nothing). But it's still something that should weigh in on the question of whether his jersey is retired.

If Jokic has a long, great career for the Nuggets, and they decide to retire the number for Jokic, I could see them having a conversation about retiring it honoring both players. Should be a mute point until then.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Definitely not trying to diminish what Melo did for the franchise. He was a great Nugget. And yes, his trade demand did actually end up working in the Nuggets favor (they easily could have held out hope that they could re-sign him and then lose him for nothing). But it's still something that should weigh in on the question of whether his jersey is retired.

If Jokic has a long, great career for the Nuggets, and they decide to retire the number for Jokic, I could see them having a conversation about retiring it honoring both players. Should be a mute point until then.

Oh hey, I agree wholeheartedly. He strong-armed his way out of town. That didn't sit well with the Nuggets or their fans, nor should it. That plays a part. Also, the Nuggets had a pretty good run while he was in uniform, and he played a huge role in making them respectable again. But I don't recall any truly spectacular moments during his time. I just don't think there's enough there to warrant putting his number up there. If indeed Joker gets the opportunity no way do I think he should have to share it.

There should be a night IMO once Melo is done playing bad basketball for other teams to be honored for a night at Pepsi Center. Give out bobbleheads, give him a nice painting of the mountains, etc. But that's it.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Mel Tucker is putting a better class coming off a 5 win season than Mike MacIntyre did coming off a 10 win season.

Words can't describe how bad MM was here.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Michael Porter is insanely good, a smart front office doing smart things with their plan. Other Colorado franchises should try it some time.

Reactions: Babel Salamander

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Hell of a sports double header for Denver teams tonight. The arrival of Messiah Porter Jr. and blowing out the Blues. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad