OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
So very strange. How do the Nuggets absolutely demolish the Rockets and then turn around and choke away a game against the Kings!?

They looked completely drained and uninterested in the 4th period. Malone should've put some of the reserves in when it was clear the starters weren't cutting it. No points for like 4 minutes is way too long to just ride it out.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I know people like Chubb but letting Shaq Barrett go and spending the pick on Chubb instead of a CB (Ward) or OL (Nelson) has got to be on the Elway blunders list. Chubb is good (Arguably BPA on the board) but Barrett’s playing out of his mind right now.
Or making the trade with Buffalo and taking Lamar with one of those picks.

That's about the only one QB issue I can hold against Elway. It's reminiscent of how Sachi Brown outsmarted himself in Cleveland.

At least we get a look at Lock first.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's was nice to finally see Lock get a start for the Broncos. And he did fine for a first career start. Well that is until the Broncos went full Broncos. We aren't going to win anything of significant value, with this current caching staff, they are plain awful.

Their idea if coaching is try to get a lead of 7-10 points and then play prevent offense and defense the final 50 minutes of the game and try to squeak one out. It doesn't work. In the 70s and 80s getting a lead like that and sitting on it sorta worked and you could eek out a 20-14 win after being up 17-0 early on. But in today's NFL you have to keep scoring and when to have the chance to step on their throat you do it.

We recover a muffed punt on the 20 up 14-3 late in the second quarter. 3 straight dive plays up the middle to 2nd string RB, 3 and out followed by FG. Follow that up with a 3rd quarter which consisted of two types of plays, RB dive left or right, then screen pass. Basically the most conservative offense you can run. It's not shocking because it's what they've done all year. It's simply unacceptable to play that way in the NFL. Play to win games, not get a lead and turtle. Scangarello needs to be canned immediately, can't crack it as a NFL coordinator, he is too scared.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It's was nice to finally see Lock get a start for the Broncos. And he did fine for a first career start. Well that is until the Broncos went full Broncos. We aren't going to win anything of significant value, with this current caching staff, they are plain awful.
It was like Dan Reeves came out of retirement.

Fortunately their balls dropped with the last play call.

I just don't see the point in being conservative with a 3 win team.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It was like Dan Reeves came out of retirement.

Fortunately their balls dropped with the last play call.

I just don't see the point in being conservative with a 3 win team.
It was disgustingly conservative, and you nailed it there is no sense in being conservative when you are a bad team that isn't making the playoffs. It's just chicken shit scared play calling. It might eek out a game like that where the other team basically hands it to you on a platter, but you aren't winning anything of real value.

You have to see if Lock can play or not. If we continue to call games like that we won't know the answer to that question.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It was disgustingly conservative, and you nailed it there is no sense in being conservative when you are a bad team that isn't making the playoffs. It's just chicken **** scared play calling. It might eek out a game like that where the other team basically hands it to you on a platter, but you aren't winning anything of real value.

You have to see if Lock can play or not. If we continue to call games like that we won't know the answer to that question.
Hell winning is practically counter productive at this point. You got the kid his first win, so tanking is not a bad idea. The rest of the season needs to be getting a good look at Lock to determine if you should bet the farm on a 1st round QB this year.

But I might have even less faith in this coaching staff than Vance Joseph. Between neutering Von Miller and play calling like that swinging gate on opening night to the running on 1st own with 11 men in the box these guys are going to have to step it up.

Reactions: chet1926

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Count me as someone who is on McManus's side in trying that FG yesterday. Absurdly pathetic that Fangio didn't have a f***ing pair to let him try. The Half was ending, and I don't personally believe the likelihood of it getting returned was all that high (not saying he would have made it, just don't think it would have been returned for a TD).

I thought Joseph was a bad HC, but Fangio isn't really all that better.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Fangio and Scangarello should be canned after this year. They are simply not capable of being in the positions that are being asked to be in.

I know you can't just keep doing a coaching carousel but you've got to get guys in here that know what they are doing in their respective positions. I've seen high school coaches game plan and call better games than these two. Both of these guys are in way over their heads. Got to move away from them, if you want to get better.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Count me as someone who is on McManus's side in trying that FG yesterday. Absurdly pathetic that Fangio didn't have a ****ing pair to let him try. The Half was ending, and I don't personally believe the likelihood of it getting returned was all that high (not saying he would have made it, just don't think it would have been returned for a TD).

I'd take Joseph over Fangio. And that is saying something because I can't stand Joseph.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You'd think Elway would know better than to get an overly conservative head coach seeing as how he f***in' owned Marty Schottenheimer the whole time he played, yet three of his four hires have been defensive-minded guys who were completely gutless come crunch time.

Fangio's reasoning for not going for the kick was so idiotic and got shot down by McManus right away.

Broncos need to clean house in order to get any better. The players are damn near close to an open revolt.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Count me as someone who is on McManus's side in trying that FG yesterday. Absurdly pathetic that Fangio didn't have a ****ing pair to let him try. The Half was ending, and I don't personally believe the likelihood of it getting returned was all that high (not saying he would have made it, just don't think it would have been returned for a TD).

And you're 3-8, might as well try to create some good moments to build on. Credit where due: rather than neal they won the game by taking a shot down the field.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Fangio is fine for what the Broncos are. They are never going anywhere with Elway at the helm and are better off stockpiling draft capital by sucking than just missing the playoffs. Draft offensive lineman and try to fix that side of the ball. See what you have with Lock all of next year and then if he does not work out suck for a top quarterback in 2021.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
CB is a worse priority than OL. Especially if Harris leaves. Unless we’re drafting in the top 5 I fully expect a CB to be named at the podium in April.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Dammit...I really wanted the Nuggets to beat the Lakers. Drives me nuts that they once again have bought their way back into contention.

Yeah, it's frustrating. I'm not sure what's up with Jokic, aside from a few moments he's been floating all season. He needs to get back into alpha mode, or someone else on the team needs to.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Anyone watching the SEC championship game? This Turf is brutal. I don't think it was setup properly. In general I'm of the mind that all turf should be done away with. It's just too dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad