OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Here's an unfortunate stat for Broncos fans to ingest.

Prior to yesterday's game, in the last 5 years there had been 99 different times when a team was up by 20+ points at the half - the record for those teams leading was 99-0. Until yesterday. 99-1

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The NFL did just about everything they could to try and put him in a legal bind.

-Scheduled the workout unbeknownst to him, and gave him 2 hours to accept it.

-Put the workout on a Saturday instead of the more usual Tuesday, and would not even re-schedule it for the following Saturday to give more teams time to decide to send someone or not.

-Would now allow independent film crew to document it

-Would not release which teams would participate/who was coming from those teams

-Wanted him to sign a completely different liability waiver than any other Pro Day/Tryout participant, one that specifically revoked his right to further litigation (this is the big one).

Tim ****ing Tebow got 4 chances at an NFL roster because he knelt/kneels for Jesus, but Kaepernick can't get a workout without all these hoops because he knelt/kneels--silently--in protest of racial injustice. If Kaepernick signed today with anyone, I'm sure there would be a media circus around it...but it would be short-lived. I'll ****ing harp on Tebow getting 4 chances at the NFL all day because he brought a pretty much unprecedented amount of media circus wherever he went.

The NFL can go **** themselves with this obvious charade.

Not sure why the two sides can't simply agree and we all move on, so we can all stop talking about this.

IMO, two things are as clear as day:

The NFL does not want Kaepernick playing in the NFL.

Kaepernick does not want to be playing in the NFL.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not sure why the two sides can't simply agree and we all move on, so we can all stop talking about this.

IMO, two things are as clear as day:

The NFL does not want Kaepernick playing in the NFL.

Kaepernick does not want to be playing in the NFL.

The NFL doesn't want to do that. They want to smear him in some feeble attempt to save face.

And Kaep absolutely wants to play. I do kinda wonder if he can at this point after being away for so long. But given how bad QBs are in the league nowadays, it's not like he has a massive bar to clear.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
The NFL did just about everything they could to try and put him in a legal bind.

-Scheduled the workout unbeknownst to him, and gave him 2 hours to accept it.

-Put the workout on a Saturday instead of the more usual Tuesday, and would not even re-schedule it for the following Saturday to give more teams time to decide to send someone or not.

-Would now allow independent film crew to document it

-Would not release which teams would participate/who was coming from those teams

-Wanted him to sign a completely different liability waiver than any other Pro Day/Tryout participant, one that specifically revoked his right to further litigation (this is the big one).

Tim ****ing Tebow got 4 chances at an NFL roster because he knelt/kneels for Jesus, but Kaepernick can't get a workout without all these hoops because he knelt/kneels--silently--in protest of racial injustice. If Kaepernick signed today with anyone, I'm sure there would be a media circus around it...but it would be short-lived. I'll ****ing harp on Tebow getting 4 chances at the NFL all day because he brought a pretty much unprecedented amount of media circus wherever he went.

The NFL can go **** themselves with this obvious charade.
I knew you would comment and know more about this than I did. :laugh: Mine was a pretty hot take, tbh. I’ve read up and didn’t realize there was more to this that I first thought. I was not aware the waiver the NFL asked him to sign was different than any other standard waiver.

Bottom line to me is that CK cares more about his social justice initiative than he does in playing in the NFL and, for better or for worse, it’s a choice he makes. He doesn’t have to mix the two and could have used his platform as a celebrity to advocate for social reform in a different way that wouldn’t piss off half the country. I don’t really have that much sympathy for him and his want to play in the NFL anymore, tbh.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I knew you would comment and know more about this than I did. :laugh: Mine was a pretty hot take, tbh. I’ve read up and didn’t realize there was more to this that I first thought. I was not aware the waiver the NFL asked him to sign was different than any other standard waiver.

Bottom line to me is that CK cares more about his social justice initiative than he does in playing in the NFL and, for better or for worse, it’s a choice he makes. I don’t really have that much sympathy for him and his want to play in the NFL, tbh.

If more people cared about what Kaep is taking a knee for than Kaep taking a knee the world would be a much better place.

Reactions: Avs91

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
If more people cared about what Kaep is taking a knee for than Kaep taking a knee the world would be a much better place.
Yeah this is true and a good point.

I edited my post a bit, but I do think he could have used his platform as a celebrity to support social reform in any number of other ways instead of doing what he did and in the end pissing off half of the country. There are many other players who donate their time and money to all sorts of causes outside the realm of football. He didn’t have to mix the two.

On the other hand, the NFL could have taken a different route and avoided most, if not all of this, imo.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah this is true and a good point.

I edited my post a bit, but I do think he could have used his platform as a celebrity to support social reform in any number of other ways instead of what he did and in the end up pissing off half of the country. There are many other players who donate their time and money to all sorts of causes outside the realm of football.

On the other hand, the NFL could have taken a different rout and avoided most, of not all of this,
imo.

On that note, I agree wholeheartedly. They have taken the most idiotic, ham-fisted approach possible and all the while made themselves look even dumber than they already are, which is considerable. The fact they tried to make Kaep look bad with this clumsily scheduled workout just adds more fuel to the fire.

There has never been a white guy who failed upwards more spectacularly than Roger Goodell. No idea why in hell that man not only gets to keep his job, he gets paid obscene amounts to do so.

And I know what some of you are thinking, but that guy is orange, not white.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Bottom line to me is that CK cares more about his social justice initiative than he does in playing in the NFL and, for better or for worse, it’s a choice he makes. He doesn’t have to mix the two and could have used his platform as a celebrity to advocate for social reform in a different way that wouldn’t piss off half the country. I don’t really have that much sympathy for him and his want to play in the NFL anymore, tbh.

Want to know the mind-boggling thing? I was never really a fan of Kaepernick the football player. I was in favor of Denver adding him strictly because I felt he was the best option available, not because I thought highly of his QB skills.

I *do* think he’d be one of the better backups in the league, and on a bad-to-middling team he’d be an “OK” starter. I don’t think he’s a SB or even playoff-caliber QB.

In this specific instance, I think his reasoning for doing what he did was successfully muddied by certain people. No, it didn’t help that he did certain things at the onset, or that his then-GF badmouthed the Ravens (but she did have a point about them employing Ray Lewis, highly suspected murderer). But I at least commend him for putting his money where his mouth was.

Of course, I understand how biased I am given my particular set of social values :dunno:.

Reactions: 5280

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
On that note, I agree wholeheartedly. They have taken the most idiotic, ham-fisted approach possible and all the while made themselves look even dumber than they already are, which is considerable. The fact they tried to make Kaep look bad with this clumsily scheduled workout just adds more fuel to the fire.

There has never been a white guy who failed upwards more spectacularly than Roger Goodell. No idea why in hell that man not only gets to keep his job, he gets paid obscene amounts to do so.

And I know what some of you are thinking, but that guy is orange, not white.

Because he has guided the NFL to ungodly amounts of money, and since that’s what the owners want from him.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Because he has guided the NFL to ungodly amounts of money, and since that’s what the owners want from him.

A goddamned trained seal could sit behind that desk for half the price and they'd still be making money hand over fist. If anything, the NFL's stranglehold on those coveted $$$$$$ dipped slightly under Goodell. I believe they're back now (why, I don't know, the product still sucks) but I don't think Goodell has done much more than mismanage virtually every situation presented to him.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
And Kaep absolutely wants to play.

No way. Absolutely not. Unless it could push those social justice $$$ for him, of course. Perhaps he has some interest in that respect.

To be clear, I never really had religion one way or another in regards to the whole kneeling thing. I can objectively see the point from both sides, never really cared. Still don't. It's Sunday football.

Kaepernick is obviously targeting $$$ doing social justice now. I actually don't blame him. Seems like a solid financial decision, all things considered. But him being committed to being a NFL QB again? He's not interested in the least. Not even a little. I don't buy it for a second.

As I said earlier, neither side wants him to be in the NFL. Not the NFL, not him. I suspect most fans couldn't give a s**t either. I certainly don't.

As more time goes by, it's a story that's not a story. I don't buy the NFL's opening the door for him. I don't buy his BS "I want to play" crap either.

I think this nonsense being a story, is a testament to how bad the NFL product on the field is.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
A goddamned trained seal could sit behind that desk for half the price and they'd still be making money hand over fist. If anything, the NFL's stranglehold on those coveted $$$$$$ dipped slightly under Goodell. I believe they're back now (why, I don't know, the product still sucks) but I don't think Goodell has done much more than mismanage virtually every situation presented to him.

The product he has put on the field is pretty brutal. And degrading as time goes by.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
One of my buddies pointed out that this workout was 9 months to the day that the settlement between Kaep and the NFL was reached and perhaps the workout was probably some type of condition baked into that agreement. I guess it’s kind of a conspiracy story but I buy it. Kaep pulls out of the workout and incredibly has a Plan B (alternate location, setup, etc.) in place that goes seamlessly. The NFL waits until the very last minute to hastily put something together for the plan A. There’s something *odd* here for sure.

I think both parties are over it to be honest and this whole workout was just a contract formality that may have sounded good at the time but both parties didn’t really want when the time/place actually came.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Btw there’s a whole different thread about the media coverage but Big Al mentioned on KOA yesterday that the Rockies RSN deal with all of the providers is coming up within the next 12 months or so. Probably will go through a tough negotiation as well.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Btw there’s a whole different thread about the media coverage but Big Al mentioned on KOA yesterday that the Rockies RSN deal with all of the providers is coming up within the next 12 months or so. Probably will go through a tough negotiation as well.

It could very well be. I’d be curious to know the viewership for Rockies games. I still think that has played a large role in this Altitude debacle. If the Rockies games produce better viewership, then perhaps the negotiations go somewhat smoother than the Altitude one :dunno:.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It could very well be. I’d be curious to know the viewership for Rockies games. I still think that has played a large role in this Altitude debacle. If the Rockies games produce better viewership, then perhaps the negotiations go somewhat smoother than the Altitude one :dunno:.

Altitude just filed a lawsuit against Comcast.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That's the part that has me so perplexed, re: the NFL's incompetence. It's obvious the product has degraded. I guess until the money part of it also degrades, they'll sit and do nothing.

Exactly. They put out a horseshit product year after year and still manage to sucker in millions to pay regular game prices for PRESEASON contests. It's why the NFL essentially broke the players' union. People were so hungry for football they had no issue watching Slick Rick Neuheisel and a bunch of subpar scab players imitate the real deal. I think they could put the worst QBs they could possibly find behind center for all 32 teams and profits would still roll in like crazy.

Much as I blast the NFL though, the game of football itself is just about the most perfect sport for the modern age. It's custom-built for gamblers and TV watchers, and that's why it'll never, ever give up its spot at the top. And I'll readily admit that when football is good, holy shit is it ever good.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Altitude just filed a lawsuit against Comcast.

Yeah, I know. I was saying I’d be curious to find out the Rockies’ viewership, because if it’s higher than Altitude’s (for Nuggets and Avs games) then I would imagine a deal is reached quicker.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I didn't see the game but I don't know what was more satisfying, to read that the Nuggets pretty much stomped the Rockets, or that James Harden was so butthurt over being shut down by Denver's defense he called them "lucky" and refused to give them even a nod of consideration.

Also, if the "strip club correlation" is true, then Harden must've had one hell of a good time at Shotgun Willie's.

Reactions: AvsWraith
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad