OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh man Myles Garrett is now pulling the race card?

Why didn’t you bring that up last week if that indeed did happen? Just admit you f***ed up and grow from, don’t make excuses.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Oh man Myles Garrett is now pulling the race card?

Why didn’t you bring that up last week if that indeed did happen? Just admit you ****ed up and grow from, don’t make excuses.

Ridiculous.

Cue the Garrett-Kaepernick duo on a station near you, fighting rampant racism in the NFL.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ridiculous.

Cue the Garrett-Kaepernick duo on a station near you, fighting rampant racism in the NFL.

Obviously if Rudolph did make a derogatory comment, that would be awful and would explain the outburst, but obviously you still can't run around doing what Garrett did.

But if it comes out that Rudolph didn't say anything that is a reaaallllly bad look for Garrett. Like really really bad.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is an interesting (albeit very long) read. Basically the NFL is realizing a little too late that Los Angeles really didn't miss them, and that the hubris of some very rich people is leading to disaster and a lot of wasted money. I'd kinda like to see E. Stanley Kroenke in the back of a quiet coffee shop losing his shit on Roger Goodell on the phone.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28117460/inside-rams-chargers-marriage-nfl-fights-los-angeles

And at the center of all this? The real commissioner of the NFL, Jerry Jones, who somehow has his hands in everyone's pockets, poised to profit no matter how this goes.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
That’s a super long article. Didn’t read all of it but what a disaster. The Chargers alone being there in LA is so wrong on so many different fronts.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That’s a super long article. Didn’t read all of it but what a disaster. The Chargers alone being there in LA is so wrong on so many different fronts.

What's funny is that Spano was pissed off at San Diego about getting a new stadium, but was also pissed off at the league and being treated as sort of a "throw-in" in the NFL's grand attempt to take over Los Angeles by storm. If he'd have just stayed put and funded a stadium (or Qualcomm renovation) by himself he'd have probably not only saved face, but a made a whole lot of money in the long run. But he let his wounded ego and Jerry Jones talk him into making a really dumb move, and now he, Kroenke and the Rams, and the whole damned league are paying the price.

This is my favorite part:
On Jan. 18, 2017, the Chargers held a fan rally at the Forum in Inglewood to officially announce the move to L.A. Only a small section of the arena was open, and it was nowhere close to full. On a huge screen, Chargers highlights played, accompanied by the soundtrack from "Top Gun," which was set in San Diego. Superstar quarterback Philip Rivers looked dour on stage, like a child who had been dragged to a party by his parents, and would later proudly refuse to move his family to L.A. Twice, Goodell praised Kroenke, who was not in attendance, and his vision for the palatial new stadium before mentioning Spanos, who was seated nearest to the commissioner. When it was Spanos' turn to speak, he surveyed the scarce and scattered Chargers fans. "This is surreal!" he said. A group of fans flipped him off.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I dunno I’ve come to appreciate Rivers over the years. That guy has gotten a completely raw deal in SD. I know he’s not popular with Broncos fans but I actually have some sympathy for him. Spanos should have dealt him a while ago. It’s too late now - Rivers seems to be on a pretty steep decline this year.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno I’ve come to appreciate Rivers over the years. That guy has gotten a completely raw deal in SD. I know he’s not popular with Broncos fans but I actually have some sympathy for him. Spanos should have dealt him a while ago. It’s too late now - Rivers seems to be on a pretty steep decline this year.

I have none. Eli Manning knew what was up and refused to sign with that ridiculous franchise. Rivers is indeed a fantastic talent, but I have zero sympathy. The man LITERALLY POUTS with his lower lip sticking out all the damned time. I try to avoid the platitudes and cliches about "leadership" but that doesn't mean I don't think it plays a small part in building a champion. Who the hell's gonna follow THAT guy?

The guy seems to be doing just fine for himself. He just better hope he never has to divorce his wife because holy shit those child support payments will be a doozy.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Broncos...don’t think there’s anything else to say about them...Elway need to go ASAP and new ownership. The faster the full rebuild happens the better. This is just sad, no offense and now no defense.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Literally half a decade or more of horrendous drafting and terrible free agent pick ups will do that. It’s almost comical how bad Elway is at running the team. Go get Flacco the least mobile quarterback when the league is trending the opposite direction (mobility) AND you have one of the worst offensive lines in the league. There’s no excuse for it. We are in for years of torture until the ownership is sorted and they clean house.

Reactions: madman

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Literally half a decade or more of horrendous drafting and terrible free agent pick ups will do that. It’s almost comical how bad Elway is at running the team. Go get Flacco the least mobile quarterback when the league is trending the opposite direction (mobility) AND you have one of the worst offensive lines in the league. There’s no excuse for it. We are in for years of torture until the ownership is sorted and they clean house.
Yeah I‘ve been telling everyone that will listen to me that the Broncos are going to be bad for a while. They have a void at ownership and I’m not really sold with Elway as a GM. By all accounts the president is a moron, too. At least I don’t have to live in Denver and hear the implosion on the news channels. At least the Avs and Nugs are doing better.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Literally half a decade or more of horrendous drafting and terrible free agent pick ups will do that.

It really is awful. I read somewhere that the Broncos only offered one player from the 2013-2015 drafts a 2nd contract after the rookie contract(s) expired. One player in 3 years. That's ugly business.

The current roster is really devoid of talent all over the field.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
It will be devoid for a few more years because they’re about to go back to the well again at CB, QB and LT. Watching Elway draft these positions is like watching a kid try to hit a piñata with a wet noodle.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
How many years of "dead money" do the Broncos have to deal with?

In respect to what? There is lots of potential dead cap money every year, though it tends to be top heavy with contracts that were recently signed.

If you're asking about those three positions in the previous post (QB, T, CB), it's not very good news at QB/T, not so bad at CB. Here is the 2020 dead money involved, if Denver cuts players at those positions:

QB:
Flacco - $13.6M
Lock - $3.1M

OT:
Ja'Wuan James - $19.0M
Bolles - $1.5M

CB:
Callahan - $2.6M
Yiadom - $0.4M

I'll throw in one note at Safety:

Kareem Jackson - $17.0M

People should probably start getting ready to see Bolles in uniform for one more season. The difference between his salary and his dead cap hit is under $500K. For that number, he's playing. Even as a backup, that's a bargain.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Bolles remains in Denver, I'm fine with that. They moved him to guard last year and he did okay. But if they're going to keep him as the starting RT, I'm out.

That said, I really think a guy like that is toxic to a locker room. He's either too dumb or too big a jerk to take ownerhship of his supreme failings at the NFL level. I'd rather he wasn't there.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can we talk about the Nuggets for a second? Winners of six straight and currently the 2nd-best team in the West.

Will Barton appears to have found his place on this team, Milsap is playing like a guy who wants to stay, and Malone is utilizing the depth and talent at his disposal quite well.

Reactions: Babel Salamander

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
And still getting very little respect. Lakers has some weak *** schedule and is getting all the hype along with the other big market teams. It’s ok tho, really hope they can make it all the way this year would be freaking awesome. Go Nugs and Avs.

Rockies is a lost cost, good one year and stink the next 3. It’s an endless loop. As for the Broncos no clue when they are watchable again.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
And still getting very little respect. Lakers has some weak *** schedule and is getting all the hype along with the other big market teams. It’s ok tho, really hope they can make it all the way this year would be freaking awesome. Go Nugs and Avs.

Rockies is a lost cost, good one year and stink the next 3. It’s an endless loop. As for the Broncos no clue when they are watchable again.

NBA coverage is all about fawning the same 3 or 4 teams and 8 or so players. If you are not a fan of one of those it is impossible to get actual discussion about what you are a fan of.

Reactions: S E P H

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

After the ownership mess is sorted out and Joe Ellis pushed into retirement.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I feel like the Nuggets hold a similar status within the NBA and the local sports scene as hockey does in the national sports conversation. A smaller but very dedicated following, but usually overlooked/disregarded elsewhere. It's a bit annoying that the Broncos have to dominate the conversation locally even though things are a bit messy right now (they are only a QB and a few o-lineman from being good, but that's like saying I'm just a couple of million dollars away from retiring). The Nuggets are a Trae Young explosion away from being on an 11 game winning streak. And that's with Jokic not really playing at the top of his game.

The television fiasco isn't helping the Avs and the Nuggets of course. Getting more local attention is dependent on casual viewers being able to turn on the games. It's just the worst time for this to be happening with both franchises on the upswing and having bright futures and the Broncos struggling.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I know people like Chubb but letting Shaq Barrett go and spending the pick on Chubb instead of a CB (Ward) or OL (Nelson) has got to be on the Elway blunders list. Chubb is good (Arguably BPA on the board) but Barrett’s playing out of his mind right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad