OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I am pretty sure that I read something that @chet1926 is on to something with--Flacco's dropbacks. I could have swore I read something from a former O-Lineman saying that he's taking extra steps, and it means that the OL has to work harder to contain for longer (since the extra steps prevents him from getting into passing position).

I know I've given ol' Chet a bit of a hard time with what I believe are his hot takes, but I am not sure this is one of them. At the very least I think it would be a correct assessment to label Flacco as "in the running for worst starter in the league", because you're looking at people like Fitzpatrick/Rosen in Miami, Trubisky in Chicago, to go along with Flacco, as some names on that list.

This was spoken about on Altitude 92.5FM too on the Moser, Lombardi and Kane show a week or so ago.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Flacco's drop backs are atrocious. They aren't close to what they need to be. He is missing by 2 steps, which for a big guy like him is a big difference. It throws route timing off, it makes it nearly impossible for the line to maintain protection. It's just bad.

This is something even rookie QBs understand and work on constantly. Not sure why a vet who has had success at one point in this league can't do simple dropbacks. And if he has been doing this his whole career then Baltimore must of had the best o-line in the league.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Brandon Allen is starting? Gives me an excuse to post one of my favorite plays ever

Reactions: sethro109

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Colorado Mammoth have re-signed goalie Dillon Ward to a four year contract extension.

Ward has been with the Mammoth 6 seasons. He is a 3X All Pro and 2017 NLL Goalie of the Year.

He has also won a pro championship outdoors with the MLL's Denver Outlaws and goal medals at the world games for team Canada both indoors and outdoors.

So all he needs is an NLL championship to complete the resume.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not overly surprising that Broncos actually looked semi reasonable after moving away from Flacco.

Allen nice game, didn't do anything stupid and made some plays.

Not surprised that the O-line looked sightly better now we have guy back there that can move a little bit, gets outside the pocket on bootlegs, makes accurate drop backs and delivers the ball on time. 3 sacks against really 2 since one was at the end of the half on a play we tried to fool them instead of taking a knee and Allen just ate it and fell to the ground. Having a QB that isn't a human pylon will help dramatically.

Run game was improved due to Allen being able to run the play action/bootleg with success. At least Allen made the defense think there was a possibility of a completion down field so that couldn't just stuff the box with 8+ guys.

Game was far from perfect, but at least it was tolerable to watch. At least we can look forward to much more watchable product the rest of the season now that Flacco is done.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Losing to the Broncos is so bad that players are risking their jobs lashing out at fans in frustration. Browns player, Whitehead threatened fans lives and gave an address as to where to fight him on twitter 15 minuets after the loss. Crazy stuff.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Losing to the Broncos is so bad that players are risking their jobs lashing out at fans in frustration. Browns player, Whitehead threatened fans lives and gave an address as to where to fight him on twitter 15 minuets after the loss. Crazy stuff.
Thats what happens when you get a big head. Everyone in the media told the Browns how good they were at the beginning of the season. And now they suck, and don't know how to handle it.

I've never seen a more arrogant 2-6 team. Selfish players, acting like prima donnas, celebrating like they won the super bowl after the most trivial plays. Glad the Broncos don't act like that. I don't have a problem with celebrating a good play, but when you make a five yard catch and stare down the corner like they can't cover you, you've got issues.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Thing about Flacco that disappointed me most was his arm. I knew he never had great fundamentals or mechanics, and I knew he moved like a redwood, but I was hoping to see that guy gun a few throws downfield. Nope.

So they got a guy who can actually move and, unlike Flacco, can thread a pass properly (I knew he wasn't the most accurate of throwers but good God, even the easy stuff was off-target) and voila, they managed to beat someone (a thoroughly lousy team, but a win is a win).

Certainly not ready to say "PLAYOFFS, BABY" but at least there's a ray of hope that things might turn around...

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Flacco was always a bootleg QB that throws deep balls. He can’t run anymore and our OL can’t protect him long enough to throw deep.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
Allen didn't do anything much better than Flacco beside move around and not get sacked or turn it over. The main difference was the big play by the TE and the Browns being the Browns

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
To be fair Allen’s TD throw to Sutton was way off target. That was a product of Sutton’s incredible catch, not Allen’s amazing throw. But I think that’s what’s been lost here for a while - even making time to give other people chances to make plays.

I go back and forth on whether I prefer a pocket passer or a mobile QB these days. Mobile QBs get beat up bad; but they buy time and offset poor OL play (which is getting worse and worse around the league). The OL play is so terrible that you literally have to get a good pocket passer plus invest in the line. Or you simply go the Baltimore Raven route and pick up a QB that’s gonna run for his life and do great but might only survive 5 years in the NFL before his body breaks down.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's almost a shame Dick Vermeil didn't do more with those Chiefs teams back in the day. Trent Green was by no means an elite QB, but he had the best O-line in the league blocking for him, which allowed him all the time in the world to decide where to throw it. It helped that they also had a top-flight run game to go with it. If he hadn't been so ridiculously loyal to Greg Robinson and that garbage defense, I think they would've won a Super Bowl.

I grew up watching more Elway than Marino, so I prefer mobile QBs. And right now it shouldn't even be a tough decision--the O-line is so horrendous you simply can't have a pocket passer out there.

FTR elite pocket passers still move well within the pocket. Marino's footwork gave him an extra second or two sometimes, and that's all he ever needed.

I think Elway would've had even better numbers and endured much less punishment had it not been for Reeves. He admitted in later years he let the rush in on purpose sometimes just so he could make up his own plays.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Cam is probably my least favorite player in the league. I know it’s got a chance but wow I hope not. I could totally see Elway taking the bait though.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I think the Bears would be pushing harder than the Broncos for Cam. They don't have a 1st round pick and are still stuck with Trubisky. I would also hate having Cam on the Broncos. Long list of injuries and complains about when he gets hit even though he puts himself in a vulnerable position as a runner.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So can someone who has more basketball knowledge than I explain to me why in the hell the Nuggets are so opposed to giving Porter Jr minutes? You can't tell me that he doesn't bring more to the table than some of the other bench players getting more minutes. Is it simply he is a rookie on a deep team and the coach doesn't trust him. or is there some other reason? If you ask me it's a good way to piss off a young talented player, if you don't find him more than 5 minutes or less a game, it will quickly lead to demanding a trade.

I really hope the Nuggets don't blow this one, he fell into our laps, but now we refuse to play him even though he looks solid every time he gets chance, no one is asking for 30 mins+ a night, but under 5 a night is getting ridiculous fast.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I would think the Bears would be pushing harder than the Broncos for Cam. They don't have a 1st round pick and are still stuck with Trubisky. I would also hate having Cam on the Broncos. Long list of injuries and complains about when he gets hit even though he puts himself in a vulnerable position as a runner.

This has always been so mind boggling to me. QB's never initiate contact with defenseman and for good reason, now Cam was big enough and fast enough that he could put his head down and break some tackles which is very rare for a QB. But don't complain about being hit when you're literally initiating contact and trying to break tackles.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
So can someone who has more basketball knowledge than I explain to me why in the hell the Nuggets are so opposed to giving Porter Jr minutes? You can't tell me that he doesn't bring more to the table than some of the other bench players getting more minutes. Is it simply he is a rookie on a deep team and the coach doesn't trust him. or is there some other reason? If you ask me it's a good way to piss off a young talented player, if you don't find him more than 5 minutes or less a game, it will quickly lead to demanding a trade.

I really hope the Nuggets don't blow this one, he fell into our laps, but now we refuse to play him even though he looks solid every time he gets chance, no one is asking for 30 mins+ a night, but under 5 a night is getting ridiculous fast.

I am curious about this as well. I don't think they're gonna trade anyone to make room.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If Elway brings in Can Newton, I'm not sure what I'd do. I can tolerate a lot of poor decisions but that guy is bum, who was never any good, now all he cares about is the money and his post game look.

I love the Broncos but that's a move I can't get behind.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Malone says he wants MPJ to rebound and defend better. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I'm more concerned about Joker gettin' going first.
How the hell is he supposed to do that when he never gets to play. How are you supposed to do something when you don't get the chance to do it. Don't say in practice, because we all know that is way different than a game.

Reactions: AvsWraith
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->