OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I think it’s pretty obvious that no heads are going to roll until a new owner is in there. Ellis and Elway are chummy. I think Russell could be let go if Ellis wanted to force a change but it’s probably wishful thinking on my part.

I keep going back to the Chubb pick as a bad bad mistake. I know he was the safe pick but I’ve got to believe Nelson would have been able to tremendously help out Bolles or Allen would have been a good pick. I thought Allen would be a complete bust but boy I’m eating crow on that one. Out of the 3 guys available at that slot we got maybe the least impactful though. Meanwhile Shaq Barrett is doing just fine as a starter. I just didn’t understand that one and still don’t. Chubb was a “nice to have” and you don’t pick those in the top 5.

Edit - I am not saying Chubb is a bad player at all in this. But they went BPA where the other two probable picks exploded.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it’s pretty obvious that no heads are going to roll until a new owner is in there. Ellis and Elway are chummy. I think Russell could be let go if Ellis wanted to force a change but it’s probably wishful thinking on my part.

I keep going back to the Chubb pick as a bad bad mistake. I know he was the safe pick but I’ve got to believe Nelson would have been able to tremendously help out Bolles or Allen would have been a good pick. I thought Allen would be a complete bust but boy I’m eating crow on that one. Out of the 3 guys available at that slot we got maybe the least impactful though. Meanwhile Shaq Barrett is doing just fine as a starter. I just didn’t understand that one and still don’t. Chubb was a “nice to have” and you don’t pick those in the top 5.

Edit - I am not saying Chubb is a bad player at all in this. But they went BPA where the other two probable picks exploded.

New owner? You mean an actual owner. Anything that gets Ellis the hell outta there is okay with me. He's put more effort toward propping up this dumb "trust" situation way, way past its expiration date than he has in actually running the franchise.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I just hope that whatever happens with Broncos ownership, it doesn't disturb the Outlaws. Pat liked them but their attendance has dipped every single year since he stepped away from the day to day operations of his teams.

But the Outlaws are the winningest team in the history of top level north american sports leagues (NBA/MLB/NFL/NHL/MLS/CFL/MLL/NLL/WNBA/AFL). They've won 3 titles in the last 5 years and they're in the semifinals on October 4. I'd hate to see them get lost in the shuffle if someone who doesn't care about lacrosse buys them up.

Maybe Kroenke would take them if the Broncos ever want to sell. Stick them at the Rapids' stadium instead of cavernous Mile High.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Went to my first Rockies game today in almost 18 years and let me tell you that it was one hell of a game to return to. However, I don't know who the hell that Mahoney guy is, but my God he is terribad. Brewers had some amazing catches though, Rockies could've won the game without the extra innings.

Reactions: Pokecheque

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Kind of curious who I should keep from this team, got passed on to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190929-121228.png
    Screenshot_20190929-121228.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 10

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
This is such a terrible time for local fans to not be able to watch the Avs and Nuggets on television, with the Rockies and Broncos both sucking.

Reactions: madman

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Bad teams like the Broncos find ways to lose. Perfect example was yesterday. Very winable game, even got the lead late, but find stupid ways to blow it.

Elway has to go, this is his fault. Bad head coaching decisions, terrible drafts, not accepting the reality that this needs to be a rebuild, no long-term QB solution, no offensive line upgrades. The only reason he had any success was because he lucked into PFM. It's been literally the same season over and over since Peyton retired. Didn't matter who coaches. It's no offense, hope the defense is perfect. Except now the defense isn't perfect, and the offense is as bad as it's ever been.

It's just bad football. Your defense gives up a long drive to start the 3rd quarter, that is ok it happens, this is the NFL other teams are good too. But then the offense needs to pick up the defense and go on a little bit of a drive to at least give them a break, or offense goes 3 and out. Defense doesn't get a rest and that was the ball game.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Bad teams like the Broncos find ways to lose. Perfect example was yesterday. Very winable game, even got the lead late, but find stupid ways to blow it.

Elway has to go, this is his fault. Bad head coaching decisions, terrible drafts, not accepting the reality that this needs to be a rebuild, no long-term QB solution, no offensive line upgrades. The only reason he had any success was because he lucked into PFM. It's been literally the same season over and over since Peyton retired. Didn't matter who coaches. It's no offense, hope the defense is perfect. Except now the defense isn't perfect, and the offense is as bad as it's ever been.

IMO, Elway had two areas/moments of awesome success, and several areas of utter failure.

Signing Manning was one obvious success story, but the other thing Elway did that hit the ball out of the park, was the Free Agent signings of 2014. The Ware/Ward/Talib FA signings really paid off. Ware played well for Denver, but Ward/Talib played at a Pro Bowl level for several seasons after that. Those signings really helped make that awesome defense what it was.

The several areas of failure for Elway, are his draft record, and his inability to see that in the NFL, when a team wins 12+ games for 4-5 straight seasons, when it wins its division 5 straight years, it's almost a given that said team needs to rebuild - at least a bit. Especially when that team loses a HOF quarterback after the last season. There's really only one example of a team that has bucked this trend. Elway's stubbornness in this regard has contributed to the team's current situation, I believe.

A couple of other areas of failure are the hiring of head coaches, and the inability to field a quality NFL QB (though that's really in the poor drafting column).

It's now a complete mess, and time to rebuild. My preseason prediction was 5-11/6-10. Amongst my friends, I was the least optimistic one, and it's looking like even I missed it big time.

They could do a few things right now to help themselves. Trade their remaining quality veteran players for picks and/or young players. Miller, Harris, Sanders are three solid candidates. All are 30-32 years old, and Harris/Sanders are in the last years of their contracts. Miller would cost $12M in dead cap money next season - which is pretty brutal - but given the team isn't going to contend anyway, it's only one year of ugliness there.

Another possibility is Wolfe (another still solid player who will be 30 next season), but I'm not sure he'd get much in return.

That should add a few 1st-3rd round picks to the 2020 draft. The Broncos already have an extra 3rd, so if they continue sucking like this and finish at the bottom of the standings, they could conceivably have 8 picks in the top 100 of next year's draft. That's a nice way to start.

...IF...

They do something about their scouting and choosing draft picks. This needs to also change. Something needs to effing change. Their drafting has been awful. I wonder if they somehow crossed the streams and hired the Avalanche scouting/drafting crew from 2010-2014.

Finally, hire a smart young head coach who understands how to field a modern football offense. One who could take a good young QB (theoretically drafted by said new scouting crew), and mold him into a solid NFL QB.

I'm not going to get into the "fire Elway" stuff, because I don't see that Dove Valley cabal of gangsters being broken up any time soon.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
IMO, Elway had two areas/moments of awesome success, and several areas of utter failure.

Signing Manning was one obvious success story, but the other thing Elway did that hit the ball out of the park, was the Free Agent signings of 2014. The Ware/Ward/Talib FA signings really paid off. Ware played well for Denver, but Ward/Talib played at a Pro Bowl level for several seasons after that. Those signings really helped make that awesome defense what it was.

The several areas of failure for Elway, are his draft record, and his inability to see that in the NFL, when a team wins 12+ games for 4-5 straight seasons, when it wins its division 5 straight years, it's almost a given that said team needs to rebuild - at least a bit. Especially when that team loses a HOF quarterback after the last season. There's really only one example of a team that has bucked this trend. Elway's stubbornness in this regard has contributed to the team's current situation, I believe.

A couple of other areas of failure are the hiring of head coaches, and the inability to field a quality NFL QB (though that's really in the poor drafting column).

It's now a complete mess, and time to rebuild. My preseason prediction was 5-11/6-10. Amongst my friends, I was the least optimistic one, and it's looking like even I missed it big time.

They could do a few things right now to help themselves. Trade their remaining quality veteran players for picks and/or young players. Miller, Harris, Sanders are three solid candidates. All are 30-32 years old, and Harris/Sanders are in the last years of their contracts. Miller would cost $12M in dead cap money next season - which is pretty brutal - but given the team isn't going to contend anyway, it's only one year of ugliness there.

Another possibility is Wolfe (another still solid player who will be 30 next season), but I'm not sure he'd get much in return.

That should add a few 1st-3rd round picks to the 2020 draft. The Broncos already have an extra 3rd, so if they continue sucking like this and finish at the bottom of the standings, they could conceivably have 8 picks in the top 100 of next year's draft. That's a nice way to start.

...IF...

They do something about their scouting and choosing draft picks. This needs to also change. Something needs to effing change. Their drafting has been awful. I wonder if they somehow crossed the streams and hired the Avalanche scouting/drafting crew from 2010-2014.

Finally, hire a smart young head coach who understands how to field a modern football offense. One who could take a good young QB (theoretically drafted by said new scouting crew), and mold him into a solid NFL QB.

I'm not going to get into the "fire Elway" stuff, because I don't see that Dove Valley cabal of gangsters being broken up any time soon.
You pretty much nailed it. We are stuck in reverse. Bad coaching hires, bad drafts, vets not getting it done. Riding mediocre or aging QBs who are well past being useful.

Elway has to go, but you're right he'll never get fired or asked to step down.

Unfortunately this is a complete rebuild, but Elway can't accept that, so we're screwed. We're going 0-16. We are simply not good enough to win any of the remaining games. But even that won't get him fired. He won't trade anyone for picks, and he'll band aid shit together in the off-season and spin it as we are now contenders crap.

You'll see we'll be 0-9 when Lock is available. He won't get into games maybe one pity game at the end, because Elway will cling to the hope that we will run the table and finish 7-9 and squeak into the playoffs. Heaven forbid you see if the guy you drafted has anything to offer. Got to ride those vets to more losses.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Getting PM was not the best thing he did. You guys won when Manning became nothing more than a glorified game manager. The defense Elway built and sucking enough to draft Miller is the reason for the SB.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
You pretty much nailed it. We are stuck in reverse. Bad coaching hires, bad drafts, vets not getting it done. Riding mediocre or aging QBs who are well past being useful.

Elway has to go, but you're right he'll never get fired or asked to step down.

Unfortunately this is a complete rebuild, but Elway can't accept that, so we're screwed. We're going 0-16. We are simply not good enough to win any of the remaining games. But even that won't get him fired. He won't trade anyone for picks, and he'll band aid **** together in the off-season and spin it as we are now contenders crap.

You'll see we'll be 0-9 when Lock is available. He won't get into games maybe one pity game at the end, because Elway will cling to the hope that we will run the table and finish 7-9 and squeak into the playoffs. Heaven forbid you see if the guy you drafted has anything to offer. Got to ride those vets to more losses.

Perhaps the Chubb injury will spur Elway to rebuild this. Too bad. So far this season, between Chubb and Miller, Chubb has been the better player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wade Phillips would not have been able to overcome the lack of talent on the roster.

You're right, but to me that was the first sign that this thing was running aground. They could have easily kept him, but chose not to. A move of pure hubris IMO.

I'd like to think that Wade may have at least tried to steer Elway right on some personnel decisions on defense, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad