Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXI: Bulls Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I want the Cubs to keep Almora and Contreras.

Trade Schwarber, Happ,and Russell if you can.

Doesn't Machado want to play short?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I want the Cubs to keep Almora and Contreras.

Trade Schwarber, Happ,and Russell if you can.

Doesn't Machado want to play short?
That's right. Baez can play 2B if necessary.

My impression is that Machado wants to play short NOW to get that HUGE contract as a power hitting SS. They are more valuable than a power hitting 3B. After the contract, will he care that much? Less wear and tear on the body as a 3B.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That means we have to keep Almora as they are extremely close. If the Cubs sign Machado ...

That's Rizzo at 1B, Baez at SS, Machado at 3B, Bryant in LF, Almora in CF, Heyward in RF (can't trade that contract).

That makes Happ, Schwarber, Zobrist, Bote, Russell expendable. We need to find a replacement for Contreras before we can trade him. Caratini is a capable backup but probably not a starter.

I would like the Cubs to get some young power arms ... at least in relief. We have no velocity in our pitching except Morrow.

I’d prefer to keep Almora over Happ if you look to move one of them.

I don’t think you move Zobrist.

So I think you look to move Happ at a minimum and maybe Schwarber.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Can Andrew Miller rebound or is his arm shot? What kind of contract you think he’ll get?

Might be tough to say depending on his and the Indians post season run, though, I suppose.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
He had a lot of injury problems this year and hasn't been as effective.

Yeah, I know, and he’s 33. I’m just not sure if he’s a rebound candidate or if he’s toast at this point. That’s what I’m trying to ask.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I’d prefer to keep Almora over Happ if you look to move one of them.

I don’t think you move Zobrist.

So I think you look to move Happ at a minimum and maybe Schwarber.
Zobrist is on his last year. Unless the Cubs need his salary space, there's no reason to move him. However, you can get something back for Zobrist. That's why he is enticing. Russell is almost worthless. IF the investigation turns to show nothing, he can be a competent utility player.

That leaves Happ and Schwarber as our primary trading chips ... along with possibly Zobrist.

Contreras is more sensitive as we'll have to find a more expensive replacement.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I get why they are doing this but the nosedive of last 2 years has more to do with ownership and upper management then Buck

Also he brought credibility back to an organization that was a joke for so long

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Just saw someone say (and of course I can’t find it now!!) that Theo & Joe have not been seeing eye-to-eye on things lately, and that there may be more animosity there than some people realize. That’s interesting, if true.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Zobrist is on his last year. Unless the Cubs need his salary space, there's no reason to move him. However, you can get something back for Zobrist. That's why he is enticing. Russell is almost worthless. IF the investigation turns to show nothing, he can be a competent utility player.

That leaves Happ and Schwarber as our primary trading chips ... along with possibly Zobrist.

Contreras is more sensitive as we'll have to find a more expensive replacement.
Zobrist is one of our best players, our window is now and he has a NTC. He's not going anywhere.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Zobrist is one of our best players, our window is now and he has a NTC. He's not going anywhere.

It would be stupid to move him anyway, to me he’s kind of the gel that holds this team together if that makes sense.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Has it ever not been a bust?

The second they won a championship it made the deal worth it. Saying he did not contribute is just not factual.

Has he lived up to his deal? No but if he can play like he did this season it is not that bad.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
So the Heyward signing is officially a bust now right?
He's not a TERRIBLE player. It's just that he's not remotely close to being worth the value of his contract. Semantics implies that's not a bust. It was a horrible miscalculation on Theo's part. It's pretty much what Soriano's contract was.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The second they won a championship it made the deal worth it. Saying he did not contribute is just not factual.

Has he lived up to his deal? No but if he can play like he did this season it is not that bad.

He’s had 3 terrible years at the plate and still has $106,000,000 left to be paid out.

It’s a terrible contract, that’s all there is to it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He’s had 3 terrible years at the plate and still has $106,000,000 left to be paid out.

It’s a terrible contract, that’s all there is to it.

He was not close to terrible this season and has been a great defensive player. Is he worth his deal? Obviously not but to say he is terrible is not correct.

I don't think they win in 2016 without him.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
He was not close to terrible this season and has been a great defensive player. Is he worth his deal? Obviously not but to say he is terrible is not correct.

Pretty expensive motivational speech.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I didn't know he has a NTC. You have to give up something to get something. It also clears some cap space. I agree ... Zobrist is an important component.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Woof. Sounds like Seabrook.
Seabrook won us 3 Cups ... literally gave up his brain and body for it. I love ripping on Stan for giving Seabrook that atrocious deal. I love making fun of Seabrook in a light hearted way.

That said, Seabrook is a homegrown guy who met all expectations. Seabrook's contract is OUR mistake. So it's kind of different.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Well he certainly wasn’t good or even close worth what he’s being laid.

And no, probably not, but again he’s still not even sniffing being worth what he’s being paid and if could really handcuff the Cubs going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad