Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXI: Bulls Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Russell has been average for two years now, and only provides value with his glove. That, plus the domestic abuse stuff will mean he's not that attractive. I take whatever I can get for him at this point.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
He's a starting caliber shortstop, who's still young and cost controlled. I could see the Blue Jays, Orioles, Cardinals (DeJong isn't much of a defensive SS), Giants (probably to play 2nd until Crawford goes), Rays, Twins, Marlins, Padres, and Royals all being very interested.

If his name is cleared someone will take him, but you’d be selling him off when his value is at his absolute lowest. That’s just bad asset management. Unless you think the Cubs are selling him because they’ve just finally had enough like the Browns did with Gordon.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
man I remember when the Cubs had like 4-5 star short stops...lol, times have changed!

We’ve got Baez at SS and that’s all we need. Now bring in Machado and see if Murphy will take a 2-3 year deal to stay with us at 2B and move Bryant to LF. That’d be a sick team.

Reactions: AmericanDream

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I totally get being upset or sad, but I don't get being mad at Maddon for this game. Rizzo being taken out for Gore is the reason why we got a run in the first place, which is the only reason the game went into extras that necessitated him taking at bats. Lester being taken out gave us one of our few solid hitting at bats, and the bullpen was solid after that only allowing one run in multiple innings of work. if you lose a 13 inning game with only two runs allowed, it's not the pitching or defense that's at fault, they did their jobs.

At the core, last night (and two afternoons ago) was an example of the batters just failing. No amount of coaching will fix cold bats in an individual couple of games, which is why I still stand by the notion that tinkerings and not overreactions are what's most needed.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
@RayP in two posts you say we shouldn't sell Addison and we have Javy at SS.

If you don't want to sell on Addison at this point, then he needs to get a ton of starts there next year. If you do that then Javy isn't your SS. If you commit to Addison another year, you risk having that position be an offensive black hole again.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Also, hopefully we can sign Chavez to a nice cheap deal. Think he enjoyed his time here.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
@piteus

Lol my original How'd the team win the WS? was simply a question. You over thought it and spun off a huge retort

Most people here think everyone is out to get them and goes for the jugular immediately. I was just saying back off.

You were calling to trade everyone that wasn't Baez, Bryant, or Rizzo. I simply was stating this roster won the WS so what changed to need to get blown up?

Same thing about the contract, Rizzo signed an amazing deal, but Jesus Christ, since it wasn't literally the greatest contract ever written, a huge retort again?
1.. LOL So keeping Baez, Bryant, Rizzo but making every hitter expendable is some sort of radical change? That's called a core. The lineup needs a massive make over. I said nothing about the pitching.

2. I showed you how the Cubs hitting was far better in 2016 than 2018 ... which was a major they won a WS.

* Cubs 2016 hitting: 199 HR, .343 OBP, 1339 Ks
* Cubs 2017 hitting: 223 HR, .338 OBP, 1401 Ks
* Cubs 2018 hitting: 167 HR, .333 OBP, 1388 Ks

=> Your retort. Calling me a "spaz." When people have no facts, they resort to calling people names.

3. You said Rizzo signed an amazing deal which is true. All I posted in return was you should see what Christian Yelich signed for ... which you said let's wait 4-5 years. That's fine but you didn't even know that the top prospect the Marlins got back in return, Lweis Brinson hit .199 with 120Ks in 382 ABs. Yelich is signed until 2022 for $49mn.

If you meant for posters to back off ... I get that. However, then say it rather than ask how the Cubs won the 2016 World Series? You made it seem like the Cubs hitting was just an abberation from 2016. At least some posters thought Chili Davis had to go. The Cubs were neck in neck with the Orioles in most games with 1 run or less this year. That's a major problem.

I have no issue if you wanted posters to back off after an emotional loss. However, you asked a sarcastic question ... and I supplied you with a solid answer and proceeded to call me a "spaz."

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I totally get being upset or sad, but I don't get being mad at Maddon for this game. Rizzo being taken out for Gore is the reason why we got a run in the first place, which is the only reason the game went into extras that necessitated him taking at bats. Lester being taken out gave us one of our few solid hitting at bats, and the bullpen was solid after that only allowing one run in multiple innings of work. if you lose a 13 inning game with only two runs allowed, it's not the pitching or defense that's at fault, they did their jobs.

At the core, last night (and two afternoons ago) was an example of the batters just failing. No amount of coaching will fix cold bats in an individual couple of games, which is why I still stand by the notion that tinkerings and not overreactions are what's most needed.
I think the concern is that a lot of the bats are just not that good vs. them just being cold.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
If his name is cleared someone will take him, but you’d be selling him off when his value is at his absolute lowest. That’s just bad asset management. Unless you think the Cubs are selling him because they’ve just finally had enough like the Browns did with Gordon.
I'd rather run Baez-Bote in the MIF or, ideally, Machado-Baez. His value isn't going to get any favors done to it if he's not starting.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@RayP in two posts you say we shouldn't sell Addison and we have Javy at SS.

If you don't want to sell on Addison at this point, then he needs to get a ton of starts there next year. If you do that then Javy isn't your SS. If you commit to Addison another year, you risk having that position be an offensive black hole again.

Mainly because I don’t think he’s going to be playing for anyone after this investigation.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

I agree, I have no issues with how Joe coached the game for the most part. I don't really want Joe to be fired.

However, I feel he has a chance to be fired.

Why did Mallee get fired then? Not an attack, just a question.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
1.. LOL So keeping Baez, Bryant, Rizzo but making every hitter expendable is some sort of radical change? That's called a core. The lineup needs a massive make over. I said nothing about the pitching.

2. I showed you how the Cubs hitting was far better in 2016 than 2018 ... which was a major they won a WS.

=> Your retort. Calling me a "spaz." When people have no facts, they resort to calling people names.

3. You said Rizzo signed an amazing deal which is true. All I posted in return was you should see what Christian Yelich signed for ... would which you said let's wait 4-5 years? That's fine but you didn't even know that the top prospect the Marlins got back in return, Lweis Brinson hit .199 with 120Ks in 382 ABs.

If you meant for posters to back off ... I get that. However, then say it rather than ask how the Cubs won the 2016 World Series? You made it seem like the Cubs hitting was just an abberation from 2016. At least some posters thought Chili Davis had to go. The Cubs were neck in neck with the Orioles in most games with 1 run or less this year. That's a major problem.

I have no issue if you wanted posters to back off after an emotional loss. However, you asked a sarcastic question ... and I supplied you with a solid answer and proceeded to call me a "spaz."

oh my god. smh just stop please. Seriously, beating a dead horse.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
oh my god. smh
This is what I'm talking about about. I gave you a reasoned retort after YOU "@ed" me at the beginning of the thread ... and all you can say is "OMG, smh?"

You asked and I gave you facts. If you don't want the truth, don't ask.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think the concern is that a lot of the bats are just not that good vs. them just being cold.

Maybe, but the Cubs offense had bit explosive games and were among the best even with the cold games. I don't think "not good" is a descriptive for a team that had so much explosive ability underneath the inconsistency, which is why....
I agree, I have no issues with how Joe coached the game for the most part. I don't really want Joe to be fired.

However, I feel he has a chance to be fired.

Why did Mallee get fired then? Not an attack, just a question.

... ancillary coaches getting canned is a far more likely situation. A hitting coach can be gotten rid of over a head coach without any hesitation and basically doesn't really amount to much other than saying that the end result wasn't acceptable. I don't think that Theo & Co. are looking at the situation and circling Maddon as a detriment to the overall team and on the contrary still view him as a positive even if they think his hiring of a hitting coach was a bad one.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
If I'm the Cubs, Yasmani Grandal gets a boatload of cash and Contreras catches Lester and plays LF.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

3. You said Rizzo signed an amazing deal which is true. All I posted in return was you should see what Christian Yelich signed for ... which you said let's wait 4-5 years. That's fine but you didn't even know that the top prospect the Marlins got back in return, Lweis Brinson hit .199 with 120Ks in 382 ABs. Yelich is signed until 2022 for $49mn.

MY BAD. MY BAD. I MISREAD.

LET"S BURY THIS ONE.
giphy.gif

hard to read tone via text, so it looked like you were questioning.

Last edited:

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Totally fair argument, and not sure I disagree. I’m over him and Contreras at this point.
I also wouldn't mind selling high on Contreras, especially if they reel in Grandal. Despite the down year with the bat, he could probably headline a deGrom deal.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Maybe, but the Cubs offense had bit explosive games and were among the best even with the cold games. I don't think "not good" is a descriptive for a team that had so much explosive ability underneath the inconsistency, which is why....

... ancillary coaches getting canned is a far more likely situation. A hitting coach can be gotten rid of over a head coach without any hesitation and basically doesn't really amount to much other than saying that the end result wasn't acceptable. I don't think that Theo & Co. are looking at the situation and circling Maddon as a detriment to the overall team and on the contrary still view him as a positive even if they think his hiring of a hitting coach was a bad one.
I didn't say the offense wasn't good, I said some of the bats in it may not be good. The explosive output you mentioned basically was due to Javy, Rizzo, Zobrist and KB when he was healthy.

Are the following guys players you can rely on offensively if you're a contender?

-Happ
-Almora
-Schwarber (sure, kills righties but has not been good against lefties)
-Contreras
-Heyward (obviously different than the above, but still a factor)

That's almost your entire outfield.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I didn't say the offense wasn't good, I said some of the bats in it may not be good. The explosive output you mentioned basically was due to Javy, Rizzo, Zobrist and KB when he was healthy.

Are the following guys players you can rely on offensively if you're a contender?

-Happ
-Almora
-Schwarber (sure, kills righties but has not been good against lefties)
-Contreras
-Heyward (obviously different than the above, but still a factor)

That's almost your entire outfield.

How's your outlook on hitting the Prop Day lottery? ;) I'm hoping to go again this year. Went last year and had a blast, despite the frigid temps and having to warm the beer over fire barrels.

I see you posting over on BA under the same name. Only reason I knew. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->