Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXI: Bulls Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Theo always said change is a good thing. No organization should remain static ... and this was an answer referring to the idea of changing manager. I don't think it should surprise anyone if Theo looks for a change next year ... short of winning or at least making a WS.

Who started the Maddon rumors? Was it Kaplan? Those Skokie guys are trouble.
It was Bob Nightengale who started them.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As I said last night, the rumor went from unlikely to flat out no way on earth the second Ross was mentioned as a possible next guy.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
As I said last night, the rumor went from unlikely to flat out no way on earth the second Ross was mentioned as a possible next guy.
The Cardinals did it before with Matheny. However, Ross seems to like his broadcasting gig anyways.

If the Cubs were rumored to be after Girardi, that would have given the rumor more legs. However, I don't think Girardi and Theo would get along. Theo's new school. Girardi is old school. Girardi once told the Marlins owner, Jeffrey Loria, to pretty much screw himself in a game. He was almost fired in between innings.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I want to see his statement.

Abuse is never acceptable but I want to see if he takes ownership.
I also want to see the report from the police if they felt the need to investigate it. I'm always a bit more cautious when the investigation is led by a professional league or University FOR BOTH SIDES. They are not equipped to investigate matters of sexual / domestic assault in a correct manner.

I'm not looking for a smoking gun as this is not a court of law. I'm just looking for a logical explanation that makes sense. Circumstantial evidence matters in this case. Corroborating witness testimony is fine too. Concrete evidence is obviously damning. If Russell did lay his hands on her more than once ... that's grounds for dismissal from not only the Cubs, but also MLB.

Remember, Russell also denied these allegations. If rational minds believe there's truth to these allegations ... Russell needs to explain himself; own it; and talk about the steps he'll take to NEVER let this happen again.

Then we can talk about possibly coming back to the team. Until then, his career is in complete limbo and deservedly so.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Here is his statement, "After gaining a full understanding of the situation I have concluded its in the best interest of my family to accept MLB's proposed resolution of this matter. I wish my ex-wife well and hope we can live in peace for the benefit of our child."

I also want to see the report from the police if they felt the need to investigate it. I'm always a bit more cautious when the investigation is led by a professional league or University FOR BOTH SIDES. They are not equipped to investigate matters of sexual / domestic assault in a correct manner.

I'm not looking for a smoking gun as this is not a court of law. I'm just looking for a logical explanation that makes sense. Circumstantial evidence matters in this case. Corroborating witness testimony is fine too. Concrete evidence is obviously damning. If Russell did lay his hands on her more than once ... that's grounds for dismissal from not only the Cubs, but also MLB.

Remember, Russell also denied these allegations. If rational minds believe there's truth to these allegations ... Russell needs to explain himself; own it; and talk about the steps he'll take to NEVER let this happen again.

Then we can talk about possibly coming back to the team. Until then, his career is in complete limbo and deservedly so.

Um, isn't the logical explanation (i.e. occam's razor) that he abused his ex-wife, she told her friends who leaked it, but she didn't feel comfortable talking to police/MLB about it at the time, and now she does?

You're grasping for straws here.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Here is his statement, "After gaining a full understanding of the situation I have concluded its in the best interest of my family to accept MLB's proposed resolution of this matter. I wish my ex-wife well and hope we can live in peace for the benefit of our child."

Um, isn't the logical explanation (i.e. occam's razor) that he abused his ex-wife, she told her friends who leaked it, but she didn't feel comfortable talking to police/MLB about it at the time, and now she does?

You're grasping for straws here.
One thing I learned about sexual / domestic assault cases ... never take any statements on either side for granted. You give the proper sensitivity and do your own work to vet the truth. That was the same with Rueben Foster (where I jumped to conclusions because of his past), Derrick Rose, Patrick Kane, Rasheed Sulaimon, UVA Rape Hoax, Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, etc.

Every domestic / sexual assault case is unique. There is no template except give the proper time and effort to find the truth. You have to try your best to verify her statement.

I'm not grasping at straws. I'm just trying to be fair. And I also realize the court of public / professional opinion has a far lower bar than a court of law. That's why I wanted to read the police report. Russell can be "most likely" guilty without being indicted. That I understand.

I want to know what Russell is admitting to. I want to know the details. I think it's a fair ask before forming a rational opinion. However, I will say it doesn't look good.

I'm no Russell fan. I never have been. He's a utility infielder. There's no ulterior motive. I just want to be sure we have all the facts before coming to a decision. Then no one has a reason to complain.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Just like I thought ...

* Theo complained about the Cubs scoring 1 or less runs 40x this season ... only comparable to the 115 loss Orioles.

* He also said the Cubs were 37-13 (?) in the 2nd half where the Cubs scored more than 2 runs. Pitching wasn't the problem.

* Theo said we hit more ground balls, less home runs, lower OBP, struck out too much, etc.

=> As expected, Theo knows the issues. He's looking to rectify the matter. He didn't sugar coat a thing.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Just like I thought ...

* Theo complained about the Cubs scoring 1 or less runs 40x this season ... only comparable to the 115 loss Orioles.

* He also said the Cubs were 37-13 (?) in the 2nd half where the Cubs scored more than 2 runs. Pitching wasn't the problem.

* Theo said we hit more ground balls, less home runs, lower OBP, struck out too much, etc.

=> As expected, Theo knows the issues. He's looking to rectify the matter. He didn't sugar coat a thing.

Just add money to the problem. Cubs have deep pockets. First team to hit 300 million payroll?

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
One thing I learned about sexual / domestic assault cases ... never take any statements on either side for granted. You give the proper sensitivity and do your own work to vet the truth. That was the same with Rueben Foster (where I jumped to conclusions because of his past), Derrick Rose, Patrick Kane, Rasheed Sulaimon, UVA Rape Hoax, Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, etc.

Every domestic / sexual assault case is unique. There is no template except give the proper time and effort to find the truth. You have to try your best to verify her statement.

I'm not grasping at straws. I'm just trying to be fair. And I also realize the court of public / professional opinion has a far lower bar than a court of law. That's why I wanted to read the police report. Russell can be "most likely" guilty without being indicted. That I understand.

I want to know what Russell is admitting to. I want to know the details. I think it's a fair ask before forming a rational opinion. However, I will say it doesn't look good.

I'm no Russell fan. I never have been. He's a utility infielder. There's no ulterior motive. I just want to be sure we have all the facts before coming to a decision. Then no one has a reason to complain.
I'd rather read a novel written by BWC than something like this again. Geez dude.

Reactions: TorMenT and RayP

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Whit Merrifield would be a good trade target. Maybe they’d trade him for Happ. Throw in Russell too if he’s still worth something, get some pen prospects.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'd rather read a novel written by BWC than something like this again. Geez dude.
I don't understand why people are so amped to jump to conclusions before gathering all the facts. I never said you were wrong to be skeptical of Russell.

However, what's so hard with waiting for the facts to come out? Theo is. You and I would have been BOTH wrong regarding Rueben Foster if we decided to move at first blush.

This is the same reasoning why the Phi Kappa Psi House was attacked with students in the residence when the Rolling Stone article came out. The protest was led by professors. This set back sexual assault victims on college campuses a decade. That's why you have idiot policians attacking Dr. Ford's credible testimony.

People don't understand getting the facts from BOTH sides not only protects future victims, but also gives the alleged a fair chance.

I find both ends of the spectrum idiots. One wants to crucify before the facts. The other wants to label the accuser a liar. No one wants the truth before coming to an informed opinion. Extremist on either side are dangerous. It's why we can't have a rational discourse about a serious topic. They are all pushing a narrative.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

That was his statement? f*** him.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That was his statement? **** him.
It doesn't look good. I want to know the details. This is not about the Cubs. This is about booting him from Major League Baseball. It's a fair ask.

The facts and details matter if you want to set a proper precedent. Otherwise you have another Osuna pitching in the playoffs in 2 years because we don't know the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad