Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
MY BAD. MY BAD. I MISREAD.

LET"S BURY THIS ONE.
giphy.gif
No problem. I honestly don't care ... it's just sports. We're allowed to be emotional.

All you had to tell me to act rational after a bad loss last night. Lord knows I told many people to do that after a Bears or Hawks loss. :)

I still think we could use a major lineup overhaul. Baez, Rizzo, and Bryant are the untouchables. The declining OBP with power down is alarming. I'm fine with the pitching. I'd liked to get some relievers though and exercise Hamels' option and keep him.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
No problem. I honestly don't care ... it's just sports. We're allowed to be emotional.

All you had to tell me to act rational after a bad loss last night. Lord knows I told many people to do that after a Bears or Hawks loss. :)

I still think we could use a major lineup overhaul. Baez, Rizzo, and Bryant are the untouchables. The declining OBP with power down is alarming. I'm fine with the pitching. I'd liked to get some relievers though and exercise Hamels' option and keep him.

It's tough reading tone over message boards. That was my bad.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
How's your outlook on hitting the Prop Day lottery? ;) I'm hoping to go again this year. Went last year and had a blast, despite the frigid temps and having to warm the beer over fire barrels.

I see you posting over on BA under the same name. Only reason I knew. Lol.
Ha, actually hadn't entered. Sucks for you you have to read my bitching in two places.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I didn't say the offense wasn't good, I said some of the bats in it may not be good. The explosive output you mentioned basically was due to Javy, Rizzo, Zobrist and KB when he was healthy.

Are the following guys players you can rely on offensively if you're a contender?

-Happ
-Almora
-Schwarber (sure, kills righties but has not been good against lefties)
-Contreras
-Heyward (obviously different than the above, but still a factor)

That's almost your entire outfield.

The players you mentioned have either all shown past ability to be hugely clutch, signs of getting better offensively (Heyward), or are possible bits of trade bait for the short and longterm, and we also don't know who if anybody we could be picking up this offseason (i.e. - Harper, though I still think he'll be a Yankee). Not remotely suggesting standing pat, but I think this is changing a part here or there situation rather than getting a new car or a whole new engine.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Totally fair argument, and not sure I disagree. I’m over him and Contreras at this point.
The issue with trading Contreras ... decent catchers don't grow on trees. However, his pitch framing has to get better for our staff. Our starters don't blow anyone away. They need a catcher who can frame pitches. Of course, if MLB just used technology, it wouldn't matter.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He’s a 26 year old catcher who can’t frame but has a cannon of an arm and had a terrerruble second half. I’m also just kind of over his antics. Tired of seeing lost strikes because he’s so antsy behind the plate.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
The players you mentioned have either all shown past ability to be hugely clutch, signs of getting better offensively (Heyward), or are possible bits of trade bait for the short and longterm, and we also don't know who if anybody we could be picking up this offseason (i.e. - Harper, though I still think he'll be a Yankee). Not remotely suggesting standing pat, but I think this is changing a part here or there situation rather than getting a new car or a whole new engine.
Sure, they've all been good at times, but are they guys you put into a lineup and you're confident they'll produce for the whole year? I'm not.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
He’s a 26 year old catcher who can’t frame but has a cannon of an arm and had a terrerruble second half. I’m also just kind of over his antics. Tired of seeing lost strikes because he’s so antsy behind the plate.
Which is undervalued. As is game calling.

But, Grandal is the best in the business behind the plate. A near MVP candidate in my mind. Give him what he wants for the next 5 years.

Reactions: TLEH

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

He probably cramped because he was running around like a nut job. Pimping walks, running to first with full gear, jumping over the rails.

I love the emotion but bring it down a few notches.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Which is undervalued. As is game calling.

But, Grandal is the best in the business behind the plate. A near MVP candidate in my mind. Give him what he wants for the next 5 years.
You know baseball. How big of a detriment is the new luxury tax to owners? I'm scared the Heyward Darvish signing will come back to really bite the Cubs. They really need to perform because their low production and massive number to the soft cap can hurt the Cubs doubly.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
You know baseball. How big of a detriment is the new luxury tax to owners? I'm scared the Heyward Darvish signing will come back to really bite the Cubs? They really need to perform because their low production and massive number to the soft cap can hurt the Cubs doubly.
I don't know how much of a detriment it is to the owners, but it's punitive enough that it gives them an excuse to not spend.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
You know baseball. How big of a detriment is the new luxury tax to owners? I'm scared the Heyward Darvish signing will come back to really bite the Cubs. They really need to perform because their low production and massive number to the soft cap can hurt the Cubs doubly.
They key is not being over it for 4 years in a row (I think 4 is the number). So since the Cubs are under this year, they can be over the next four years and not incur the stiff penalties.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I've entered in prior years, but I'm just gonna plan to try them all at FOBAB.

Makes sense. I think I'm skipping fobab. Hit a bunch of fests last year. I'll prolly try to get into Prop Day, and if not, I'll just do DLD again in May. Got a fest coming on the 13th, though. Half Acre Far and Away down at the rooftop in Millenium Park. That lineup looks amazing... well worth the 90 bucks, IMO.

Should prolly take the convo to the off topic thread though. :laugh:

Although baseball is over, so whatever.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

This is pure speculation, but reports are that Ricketts has invested more than $1b in the construction projects and hotels near Wrigley. To the extent that the Cubs success boosts the success of those projects, I think he'll continue to be relatively aggressive with payroll.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Overall though, I think Machado has to be the number one target. Especially with Bryant's shoulder issues.
That means we have to keep Almora as they are extremely close. If the Cubs sign Machado ...

That's Rizzo at 1B, Baez at SS, Machado at 3B, Bryant in LF, Almora in CF, Heyward in RF (can't trade that contract).

That makes Happ, Schwarber, Zobrist, Bote, Russell expendable. We need to find a replacement for Contreras before we can trade him. Caratini is a capable backup but probably not a starter.

I would like the Cubs to get some young power arms ... at least in relief. We have no velocity in our pitching except Morrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad