OT: OT Thread Part 7: Where the Only Off Off Topic is Politics (Well Not Literally!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
So I was shouted down (not surprised it is Alberta) for mentioning that it is fairly tone deaf for the Oilers to do a military appreciation night considering how many women are coming forward with their experiences with sexual harassment in the Forces and a current parliamentary inquiry.

So the question is, did anyone else find this very tone deaf considering the current environment?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So I was shouted down (not surprised it is Alberta) for mentioning that it is fairly tone deaf for the Oilers to do a military appreciation night considering how many women are coming forward with their experiences with sexual harassment in the Forces and a current parliamentary inquiry.

So the question is, did anyone else find this very tone deaf considering the current environment?

This is an issue in the US as well. However we are not honoring those people specifically, being in the military is not easy on the people serving or their families. There will always be good and bad in every occupation, hopefully there is change for the better and these incidents become much fewer and far between.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Come on man, how on earth is it tone deaf?

Sadly sexual harassment is a daily occurrence in every single walk of life and every single profession and career. Doctors. Lawyers. Dentists. Accountants. Teachers. Clergy. Trades. Politicians. Volunteer Organizations. Police and RCMP. Uber Drivers. It is beyond terrible in the Restaurant industry. And yes, Military - and the list goes on.

You name it, there is some shitbag scum who needs his f***ing balls cut off using his position of power and/or influence to sexually harass, abuse and intimidate women.

The military is many tens of thousands of people, many of whom literally put their lives on the line on a daily basis mostly helping others and face unbelievable dangers to life and limb doing things most of us would refuse to do. They are there in disaster relief here and and deployed abroad, providing assistance nobody else can or would. They were deployed overseas to fight a murderous scum religious cult which took over a large swath of the middle east and used captured women as sex slaves. They were deployed into the heart of the Covid crisis taking over care homes in Quebec, many of whom contracted Covid when nobody knew much about Covid.

So the media is making the military its centre of attention today (tomorrow it could be focused on a wrongdoing in your industry). That doesn't mean you cancel an event designed to appreciate the people who by in large serve with dignity.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Sadly sexual harassment is a daily occurrence in every single walk of life and every single profession and career. Doctors. Lawyers. Dentists. Accountants. Teachers. Clergy. Trades. Politicians. Volunteer Organizations. Police and RCMP. Uber Drivers. It is beyond terrible in the Restaurant industry. And yes, Military - and the list goes on.

You name it, there is some shitbag scum who needs his f***ing balls cut off using his position of power and/or influence to sexually harass, abuse and intimidate women.

The military is many tens of thousands of people, many of whom literally put their lives on the line on a daily basis mostly helping others and face unbelievable dangers to life and limb doing things most of us would refuse to do. They are there in disaster relief here and and deployed abroad, providing assistance nobody else can or would. They were deployed overseas to fight a murderous scum religious cult which took over a large swath of the middle east and used captured women as sex slaves. They were deployed into the heart of the Covid crisis taking over care homes in Quebec, many of whom contracted Covid when nobody knew much about Covid.

So the media is making the military its centre of attention today (tomorrow it could be focused on a wrongdoing in your industry). That doesn't mean you cancel an event designed to appreciate the people who by in large serve with dignity.
I was going to say if we were going to stop honouring people who are apart of organization that have sexual harassment that we wouldn't be honouring a whole heck of a lot of people.

As long as the group is doing far more better than worse I don't have an issue giving them some air time and a 50-50 draw.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

I think this is where people are misunderstanding what I meant.

I'm less talking about the intention of the event, but more the timing of it all.

To me it felt tone deaf considering the current media attention. Similar (but not nearly as bad) to having a Police recognition night during the George Floyd protests last summer.

I thoroughly believe that our men and women of the Canadian Forces deserve respect and recognition, but for me there is a time and a place for everything. This to me at least seemed like not the time.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I was going to say if we were going to stop honouring people who are apart of organization that have sexual harassment that we wouldn't be honouring a whole heck of a lot of people.

As long as the group is doing far more better than worse I don't have an issue giving them some air time and a 50-50 draw.

Not saying that.

I'm just saying that the timing seemed tone deaf.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
This is an issue in the US as well. However we are not honoring those people specifically, being in the military is not easy on the people serving or their families. There will always be good and bad in every occupation, hopefully there is change for the better and these incidents become much fewer and far between.

Again, my issue isn't the event itself, its the timing.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Yeah I wouldn't say it's tone deaf if it was a planned event prior to this story becoming wide spread news. I didn't watch the whole thing but from what I did see I didn't notice any mention of this issue which I think would have been good to acknowledge and for somebody to note that any form of sexual harassment in the military is not okay. I think for the military to not address the issue is a little tone deaf and disappointing. It's a serious issue that is rightly garnering press at this time, and I think just carrying on without saying anything supportive of those women/people in the military who might be dealing with it currently in a public moment such as the one last night, given the situation speaks a little bit to the culture of the military. That culture being to close ranks, protect their own, keep tight lipped on this sort of thing and hope they can either brush it under the rug or it just goes away, which unfortunately plays into the hands of the perpetrators of sexual assault/harassment and leaves the victims up shit creek.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Again, my issue isn't the event itself, its the timing.

Without knowing anything about these incidents or the timeline I would only say that the media should not dictate when things are happening. It was likely pre-planned and costs $ to do. I would've still gone through with the police thing because unless it was Chauvin himself they shouldn't be painted with the same brush. That's just me though.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Without knowing anything about these incidents or the timeline I would only say that the media should not dictate when things are happening. It was likely pre-planned and costs $ to do. I would've still gone through with the police thing because unless it was Chauvin himself they shouldn't be painted with the same brush. That's just me though.

Yeah I recognize the logistics would've made cancelling the event impossible, and honestly I wouldn't have preferred it to be cancelled. But the blind praise that was the nature of the event made it really feel off to me. At least recognize the faults, especially when this whole scandal is so public.

Eh I won't engage too much with the last bit. What I will say, is that it kinda misses the whole point of the George Floyd incident and protests. The fact was it wasn't one cop, it wasn't one incident. The issue is systemic racism that is prevalent in law enforcement in both the US and Canada. As far as I'm concerned if you're a part of the system, you deserve to get painted with the same brush.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Yeah I wouldn't say it's tone deaf if it was a planned event prior to this story becoming wide spread news. I didn't watch the whole thing but from what I did see I didn't notice any mention of this issue which I think would have been good to acknowledge and for somebody to note that any form of sexual harassment in the military is not okay. I think for the military to not address the issue is a little tone deaf and disappointing. It's a serious issue that is rightly garnering press at this time, and I think just carrying on without saying anything supportive of those women/people in the military who might be dealing with it currently in a public moment such as the one last night, given the situation speaks a little bit to the culture of the military. That culture being to close ranks, protect their own, keep tight lipped on this sort of thing and hope they can either brush it under the rug or it just goes away, which unfortunately plays into the hands of the perpetrators of sexual assault/harassment and leaves the victims up shit creek.

That's precisely what made it feel tone deaf to me.

Its 2021, you can do more than just shower praise on the military. You can recognize the issues as well.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think this is where people are misunderstanding what I meant.

I'm less talking about the intention of the event, but more the timing of it all.

To me it felt tone deaf considering the current media attention. Similar (but not nearly as bad) to having a Police recognition night during the George Floyd protests last summer.

I thoroughly believe that our men and women of the Canadian Forces deserve respect and recognition, but for me there is a time and a place for everything. This to me at least seemed like not the time.

The event was planned probably once the season schedule was announced along with the benefiting charities. Last night the 50-50 charity was the Northern Military Family Assistance Centers (pardon me if I got the name incorrect). This just wasn't about honouring the military but the charitable support as well via the 50-50.

There was literally nothing wrong with the timing. You are being overtly sensitive in my opinion.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Are you in or ex military?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Are you in or ex military?

No but I know people who are in or were in the military. When I'm talking about that culture I'm more referring to the chain of command, and certainly like any workplace there are people who handle things differently, people with different leadership styles, and people with different values/morals. That said, it's just not surprising to me that given the culture that nothing was mentioned on the broadcast. If you know somebody in the military I would suggest asking them if they were surprised that nothing was mentioned on the broadcast last night, and why that is.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The event was planned probably once the season schedule was announced along with the benefiting charities. Last night the 50-50 charity was the Northern Military Family Assistance Centers (pardon me if I got the name incorrect). This just wasn't about honouring the military but the charitable support as well via the 50-50.

There was literally nothing wrong with the timing. You are being overtly sensitive in my opinion.

The Oilers Community Foundation is a gem. I get that most people buy 50/50 for the chance to get rich, but I'm thankful that the Oilers have been bringing on guests during the period breaks to tell us a bit about the other side, and how the money helps their cause. I've worked a bunch of 50/50's at games, and the impact it provides small organizations at the grassroots level is amazing. Last night was for a very specific cause, and it would have been a disservice to this specific cause to politicize the time spent speaking about the negative issues around the military, and society in general. Lots of different times and places to discuss those very important issues, and last night was absolutely not one of them. Kudos to The Oilers for reading the tea leaves right on that. I wasn't planning on buying a ticket last night, but ended up buying one after hearing about the program it was helping. You don't stop offering help to people just because there are issues with something out of their control. If anything, now is the perfect time to offer help to the 90%+ of those in service that honor us and our country in their service.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No but I know people who are in or were in the military. When I'm talking about that culture I'm more referring to the chain of command, and certainly like any workplace there are people who handle things differently, people with different leadership styles, and people with different values/morals. That said, it's just not surprising to me that given the culture that nothing was mentioned on the broadcast. If you know somebody in the military I would suggest asking them if they were surprised that nothing was mentioned on the broadcast last night, and why that is.

I know a LOT of current and ex-military, around the globe, and military studies are part of my background. You are so far off base in your assumptions that you are in a different ballpark.

First, This was an Oiler event, not a military event.
Second, To suggest that "military culture" had anything to do with why this wasn't mentioned and why that is, is because it wasn't the time or the place for that discussion.
Third, You can hold an event honouring the 99.9% of good people without having to drive into the muck of the 0.01% of what some bad people have done.

If you hold true to your train of thought then every single Oiler 50-50 you will have to bring some skeleton out of the closet to remind the viewers of some bad thing someone in their organization did at some point in history. There is a time and place for everything. Honouring the deeds of not only the military but the benefiting charitable organization was not the time nor the place for the discussion you feel they should have had.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The Oilers Community Foundation is a gem. I get that most people buy 50/50 for the chance to get rich, but I'm thankful that the Oilers have been bringing on guests during the period breaks to tell us a bit about the other side, and how the money helps their cause. I've worked a bunch of 50/50's at games, and the impact it provides small organizations at the grassroots level is amazing. Last night was for a very specific cause, and it would have been a disservice to this specific cause to politicize the time spent speaking about the negative issues around the military, and society in general. Lots of different times and places to discuss those very important issues, and last night was absolutely not one of them. Kudos to The Oilers for reading the tea leaves right on that. I wasn't planning on buying a ticket last night, but ended up buying one after hearing about the program it was helping. You don't stop offering help to people just because there are issues with something out of their control. If anything, now is the perfect time to offer help to the 90%+ of those in service that honor us and our country in their service.

The Homes for Heroes project is another cool one that was noted on the broadcast. Modular tiny home communities for homeless military veterans who are in need.

Cities | Homes For Heroes

Anytime you can help people in need it's certainly commendable and you're right, the Oilers Community Foundation does really good work. It amazes me a little how consistently large the online 50/50 jackpots get. It's great that Oilers fans are donating to many great causes and if you just happen to get lucky and win then I figure that's just lady luck patting you on the back for contributing to a good cause.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I know a LOT of current and ex-military, around the globe, and military studies are part of my background. You are so far off base in your assumptions that you are in a different ballpark.

First, This was an Oiler event, not a military event.
Second, To suggest that "military culture" had anything to do with why this wasn't mentioned and why that is, is because it wasn't the time or the place for that discussion.
Third, You can hold an event honouring the 99.9% of good people without having to drive into the muck of the 0.01% of what some bad people have done.

If you hold true to your train of thought then every single Oiler 50-50 you will have to bring some skeleton out of the closet to remind the viewers of some bad thing someone in their organization did at some point in history. There is a time and place for everything. Honouring the deeds of not only the military but the benefiting charitable organization was not the time nor the place for the discussion you feel they should have had.

I think that's a fair argument, and I don't think a lot of what you're saying goes against anything I think. I think maybe you're just somewhat misconstruing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not attacking, disrespecting or trying to denigrate the military. Nor am I saying the Oilers should have called off that 50/50 last night. I said in my first post I don't think it was tone deaf to go ahead with a 50/50 that was tied to the military, nor for that matter do I agree with the cancel culture mentality. There are a lot of good people in the military who are trying to be of service protecting their communities and country. I just think the military missed an opportunity to take a few seconds to say something supportive for those who have experienced sexual harassment/assault in the military given it's currently a hot topic in the media. Maybe it's not normally the right place or time given you want the focus to be on the charity itself, but I think given the circumstances it could have been a positive. It might be an uncomfortable topic for some, however it is something that needs to be addressed.

I will say that I think your 3rd point there is a common attitude that makes it easier for people who do commit sexual assault/harassment to evade justice. By saying that having that discussion in the public domain is bringing 99.9% of good people into the muck is framing it in a way that makes it difficult for people who have experienced it to find support. If people were more willing to talk openly about it then it would help deter and decrease how often it happened. Whether the victims of these crimes want to disclose anything publicly is up to them, however if they knew that people were going to be supportive of them if they did come forward that would help them feel more secure in doing so. As it is, many don't say anything because of how the public and those in their community tend to respond, that is negatively, especially if the accused is somebody that is known to the victim which is the case 70% of the time in Canada.

Some stats:
Canada: Sexual Assault Statistics - Rape Vicitm Support Network
Sexual Assault And Harassment in Canada | The Facts
US: Statistics

Now again, in this instance I'm not talking about going into detail on anything specific, I'm just suggesting this could have been a good time to quickly say/do something supportive especially given this is something that affects people beyond just the military.

Regarding the chain of command, below are a couple of links to stories detailing exactly what I'm talking about. There are plenty of different stories to reference. If those at the top of the chain of command wanted to do something about this they've had plenty of time to act, have said they would act but have in fact consistently under-delivered on what they've committed to doing regarding sexual assault in the military. I'm not suggesting this should have in any way shape or form been brought up last night, I agree that topic would have been totally inappropriate. However that the military conviction rate is 1/3 of that in the civilian judicial system for sexual misconduct charges is very troubling and speaks to institutional problems within the Canadian military's justice system.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/co...s-peter-dawe-apologizes-open-letter-1.6008705
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fifth-estate-military-justice-1.5943931

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think that's a fair argument, and I don't think a lot of what you're saying goes against anything I think. I think maybe you're just somewhat misconstruing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not attacking, disrespecting or trying to denigrate the military. Nor am I saying the Oilers should have called off that 50/50 last night. I said in my first post I don't think it was tone deaf to go ahead with a 50/50 that was tied to the military, nor for that matter do I agree with the cancel culture mentality. There are a lot of good people in the military who are trying to be of service protecting their communities and country. I just think the military missed an opportunity to take a few seconds to say something supportive for those who have experienced sexual harassment/assault in the military given it's currently a hot topic in the media. Maybe it's not normally the right place or time given you want the focus to be on the charity itself, but I think given the circumstances it could have been a positive. It might be an uncomfortable topic for some, however it is something that needs to be addressed.

I will say that I think your 3rd point there is a common attitude that makes it easier for people who do commit sexual assault/harassment to evade justice. By saying that having that discussion in the public domain is bringing 99.9% of good people into the muck is framing it in a way that makes it difficult for people who have experienced it to find support. If people were more willing to talk openly about it then it would help deter and decrease how often it happened. Whether the victims of these crimes want to disclose anything publicly is up to them, however if they knew that people were going to be supportive of them if they did come forward that would help them feel more secure in doing so. As it is, many don't say anything because of how the public and those in their community tend to respond, that is negatively, especially if the accused is somebody that is known to the victim which is the case 70% of the time in Canada.

Some stats:
Canada: Sexual Assault Statistics - Rape Vicitm Support Network
Sexual Assault And Harassment in Canada | The Facts
US: Statistics

Now again, in this instance I'm not talking about going into detail on anything specific, I'm just suggesting this could have been a good time to quickly say/do something supportive especially given this is something that affects people beyond just the military.

Regarding the chain of command, below are a couple of links to stories detailing exactly what I'm talking about. There are plenty of different stories to reference. If those at the top of the chain of command wanted to do something about this they've had plenty of time to act, have said they would act but have in fact consistently under-delivered on what they've committed to doing regarding sexual assault in the military. I'm not suggesting this should have in any way shape or form been brought up last night, I agree that topic would have been totally inappropriate. However that the military conviction rate is 1/3 of that in the civilian judicial system for sexual misconduct charges is very troubling and speaks to institutional problems within the Canadian military's justice system.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/co...s-peter-dawe-apologizes-open-letter-1.6008705
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fifth-estate-military-justice-1.5943931

Fair enough.

I will say that Chain of command, closing ranks and insular problem solving is a problem with many large organizations. Of note, the Catholic Church and how they have chosen with their centuries of sexual abuse and sodomy. Various failed Wall St firms which left investors bankrupted. It’s a large organization issue.

Certainly the primary purpose of the military is to find then kill thy enemy so following orders are ingrained in recruits as second nature and this constitutes other issues but most civilians cannot comprehend military command.

As for point 3 - I get your point but you can accomplish honouring during one event and discussion of the issues during another.

No harm no foul, good to discuss.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah I recognize the logistics would've made cancelling the event impossible, and honestly I wouldn't have preferred it to be cancelled. But the blind praise that was the nature of the event made it really feel off to me. At least recognize the faults, especially when this whole scandal is so public.

Eh I won't engage too much with the last bit. What I will say, is that it kinda misses the whole point of the George Floyd incident and protests. The fact was it wasn't one cop, it wasn't one incident. The issue is systemic racism that is prevalent in law enforcement in both the US and Canada. As far as I'm concerned if you're a part of the system, you deserve to get painted with the same brush.

And this IMO is what is wrong with society today. Screaming racism, sexism, etc. every second of every day on one hand while painting an entire diverse group of people with the same brush on the other. There are police officers of every race in these countries and while there are some absolute shit stains that wear a badge there are also some very good cops. Like every job there are good and bad. You hear a lot more about the bad than the good because that is the nature of the media.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
And this IMO is what is wrong with society today. Screaming racism, sexism, etc. every second of every day on one hand while painting an entire diverse group of people with the same brush on the other. There are police officers of every race in these countries and while there are some absolute shit stains that wear a badge there are also some very good cops. Like every job there are good and bad. You hear a lot more about the bad than the good because that is the nature of the media.

Are you gonna honestly tell me that policing in Canada isn't inherently racist? That's a harmful and insane opinion to have. I have stories of Natives being assaulted by the RCMP such that I have to testify before a court.

But we can't because the RCMP threaten to not protect us.

Didn't know it was bad of society to read books and come to conclusions, based on the actions people commit ...

Also its a problem with society rather than it being a problem that RAPES OCCUR ON THE REGULAR IN THE CANADAN FORCES.

Are you f***ing serious?

God, this thread makes me more and more happy I've left the cesspool that is Alberta.

Oh good, there's good CDN Forces members and police officers. Fantastic. They'll just do what other "good officers/soldiers" do.

They'll watch as the women are raped and the POC are excluded on race reasons.

Great job. You've solved racism and sexism.

Last edited by a moderator:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I bet a lot of people in this thread think FHRITP is really funny.

Alberta is always Alberta I suppose.

You need to calm the f*** down with this Alberta is always Alberta bullshit and painting anyone who disagrees with your POV as some sort of racist sexist rape apologist asshole.

You asked a question that people disagreed with. Now "Alberta is always Alberta"???!!!!?? - maybe explain that one to the Edmonton Oiler fans here many of which are born and raised Albertans. What are you saying exactly?

Your statement that "They'll watch as the women are raped" with respect to our military is sheer hysterical lunacy that has no place here. The guys I know in the military - and it's a lot of them - would kick the living f*** out of anyone who did anything untoward a female military member or any female for that matter.

Finally saying people IN THIS THREAD (who disagreed with you one must assume) think FHRITP is funny? Really? Where do you get that from and what gives you that idea? (for the record anyone doing that needs a knee to the balls from the reporter)

You need to climb down your moral high ground here pal before you get a nosebleed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Are you gonna honestly tell me that policing in Canada isn't inherently racist? That's a harmful and insane opinion to have. I have stories of Natives being assaulted by the RCMP such that I have to testify before a court.

But we can't because the RCMP threaten to not protect us.

Didn't know it was bad of society to read books and come to conclusions, based on the actions people commit ...

Also its a problem with society rather than it being a problem that RAPES OCCUR ON THE REGULAR IN THE CANADAN FORCES.

Are you f***ing serious?

God, this thread makes me more and more happy I've left the cesspool that is Alberta.

Oh good, there's good CDN Forces members and police officers. Fantastic. They'll just do what other "good officers/soldiers" do.

They'll watch as the women are raped and the POC are excluded on race reasons.

Great job. You've solved racism and sexism.

Are you going to tell me that all police officers in Alberta are racist? Talk about an insane opinion. Your generalizations do absolutely nothing except instill fear into those that maybe targeted by those that are racist into thinking that all cops are murderous assholes so they will run or fight for their lives sometimes against perfectly good cops and then may lose their lives for it.

The rest of your post is pure shit to be honest, not even worth replying to. It's clear that you hate police and military personnel so there's really no point in carrying on this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad