OT: OT Thread Part 7: Where the Only Off Off Topic is Politics (Well Not Literally!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Think of it like a coup d’état in sports.

It would be like a bunch of NHL, KHL, Finnish league, Swedish league teams etc splitting off and forming their own league.

As with most things in life the primary reason: it’s all about the Benjamin’s

Sounds like it’s falling apart. Bunch of teams already pulling out. Fans have spoken. ;)

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Some of the richer clubs in European football want to get away from the current Champions League, where lesser clubs compete along side the big clubs for the CL trophy. The SL wants to keep lesser clubs out of lucrative matches and possible upsets.

UEFA and FIFA declare this league as outlaws and want to put sanctions on any team in the SL, including not allowing any player on these teams to be involved in international play.

There's a lot more to this.

Yeah essentially the Super League is being set up so that these richer clubs are guaranteed their games, as the 15 founding members out of the 20 total SL clubs would be permanent members. They would also be guaranteed their slice of a the 4 billion euro pie they project in yearly broadcasting revenue, as compared to the 3.25 billion euros the Champions League generates in commercial revenue and which is split among the competing teams based on performance.

The clubs themselves want to control it and cut out UEFA, FIFA. They would also protect their brands from embarrassing Champions League losses to "lesser" teams.

Reports: Chelsea, Manchester City pulling out of European Super League - TSN.ca

Atletico and Barcelona look to be pulling out as well.

Reactions: oilers'72

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Sounds like it’s falling apart. Bunch of teams already pulling out. Fans have spoken. ;)

A friend of mine who is much more into soccer (I dabble with Bundesliga and watch the World Cup) was saying that FIFA pretty much blackmailed these teams by saying they couldn’t compete in international championships which is the biggest thing to it falling apart, at least it seems

Reactions: bellagiobob

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
A friend of mine who is much more into soccer (I dabble with Bundesliga and watch the World Cup) was saying that FIFA pretty much blackmailed these teams by saying they couldn’t compete in international championships which is the biggest thing to it falling apart, at least it seems

Yeah it would upend the soccer order in Europe by undermining UEFA's power and with it FIFA's power. It would also potentially have a negative effect on the domestic leagues down the road if those SL teams ever up and left and just decided to play in their own separate league altogether outside of the domestic leagues. They say they won't but once they have one foot out the door they might change their minds. So the domestic leagues, UEFA and FIFA all banded together and have put a huge roadblock in the SL teams' path, so much so that several teams have bailed already.

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Yeah it would upend the soccer order in Europe by undermining UEFA's power and with it FIFA's power. It would also potentially have a negative effect on the domestic leagues down the road if those SL teams ever up and left and just decided to play in their own separate league altogether outside of the domestic leagues. They say they won't but once they have one foot out the door they might change their minds. So the domestic leagues, UEFA and FIFA all banded together and have put a huge roadblock in the SL teams' path, so much so that several teams have bailed already.

The fans of the respective clubs have also spoke out against the idea of a Super League. As a result of all those roadblocks, all 6 EPL clubs that might have been involved have backed out.

All six Premier League clubs withdraw from Super League plan – live!

Reactions: TB12

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
How have you been doing lately with all that?

That must really be awful. Hope your recovering well.

I regained some strength but, for some reason, my sleep patterns are off. Really waking up at noon, sleeping in the mid afternoon, waking up, maybe sleeping at about 7, waking up, then nap until 11, up until 2 or 3 in the morning before getting about 10 hours of fitful sleep.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I usually record and then speed watch the Oscars, but will probably pass this year. Haven’t watched even one of the nominated movies. My tv watching these days is pretty much just watching streaming series.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I usually record and then speed watch the Oscars, but will probably pass this year. Haven’t watched even one of the nominated movies. My tv watching these days is pretty much just watching streaming series.

The last time I watched the Academy Awards was when LOTR Return of the King was nominated as Best Picture (and won).

I cant stand the grandstanding these actors do on stage. Accept your award and f*** off to your $20 million dollar mansion in Beverly Hills or Laguna. I do not need to hear how I should be living my life from someone who lives in such an alternate reality that it isn't even real to 99.9% of the people on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad