OT: OT Thread Part 7: Where the Only Off Off Topic is Politics (Well Not Literally!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The last time I watched the Academy Awards was when LOTR Return of the King was nominated as Best Picture (and won).

I cant stand the grandstanding these actors do on stage. Accept your award and f*** off to your $20 million dollar mansion in Beverly Hills or Laguna. I do not need to hear how I should be living my life from someone who lives in such an alternate reality that it isn't even real to 99.9% of the people on the planet.

Leonardo Dicaprio was harmed by this post..

;)

You couldn't pay me to watch this crap. I don't care what they think. You act in movies, you read scripted lines, STFU!

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Leonardo Dicaprio was harmed by this post..

;)

You couldn't pay me to watch this crap. I don't care what they think. You act in movies, you read scripted lines, STFU!

3p6q05.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What a disgusting injury Weidman suffered Saturday. Somehow this injury has only occurred twice before in the UFC and oddly enough Weidman was involved in one of those when Silva did the same thing against him.

I won't post the video as I just about puked when I saw it, but if you have the stomach you can take a look.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"MMA is really safe they say, safer than all other sports, hardly anybody gets injured.."

The above being what people have told me about it since the start of time as I generally say no to watching it and supporting this nature of gladiator entertainment. "hey you want to come over and pay in to watch this PPV" no....

I don't get the appeal.

Reactions: oilers'72

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
What a disgusting injury Weidman suffered Saturday. Somehow this injury has only occurred twice before in the UFC and oddly enough Weidman was involved in one of those when Silva did the same thing against him.

I won't post the video as I just about puked when I saw it, but if you have the stomach you can take a look.

I'm honestly surprised it does happen more often, given the force these guys use to hit each other with their appendages. Just a gnarly injury to see. (For those wondering, the guy's shin wrapped around the other guy's leg.)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I’m fine with the fee. It was absolutely insane last year in the area. Way too many people without a clue how to act on the trails who were just there for their Instagram photo op. Liked it better when it was a hidden gem. ;)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I’m fine with the fee. It was absolutely insane last year in the area. Way too many people without a clue how to act on the trails who were just there for their Instagram photo op. Liked it better when it was a hidden gem. ;)

Word now that there are some folks that snapped up a bunch of passes and are selling them online for huge profit.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Instagram is ruining all destination locations. Its resulted in untenable situations in Lake Louise area as well and massively overflowing parking facilities at Lake Louise and Moraine lake in particular. The usage being a joke as well. Most visitors to Moraine Lake just park, climb the rubble scree, and thats all they are there for because thats where the instagram photos are. Very few are there to hike any of the trails. But they take up all of what is extremely limited parking at that location. To hike Moraine lake area now you have to show up around 5-6am from what I'm reading. haven't been down there since the pandemic.

I see no reason why Kananaskis should not have a fee when NP have a daily fee or annual pass.

Further, Kananaskis is of particular benefit to Calgarians, why should all of Alberta fund their massive parkway when no similar draw place exists outside the NP's?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Instagram is ruining all destination locations. Its resulted in untenable situations in Lake Louise area as well and massively overflowing parking facilities at Lake Louise and Moraine lake in particular. The usage being a joke as well. Most visitors to Moraine Lake just park, climb the rubble scree, and thats all they are there for because thats where the instagram photos are. Very few are there to hike any of the trails. But they take up all of what is extremely limited parking at that location. To hike Moraine lake area now you have to show up around 5-6am from what I'm reading. haven't been down there since the pandemic.

I see no reason why Kananaskis should not have a fee when NP have a daily fee or annual pass.

Further, Kananaskis is of particular benefit to Calgarians, why should all of Alberta fund their massive parkway when no similar draw place exists outside the NP's?
Well one unexpected benefit from the road up to the parking lot closing early in the mornings after it's full is that it is great for road cycling. ;)

Speaking of which, very happy to see that sections of 1A and Minnewanka loop are closed again this summer for riding.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well one unexpected benefit from the road up to the parking lot closing early in the mornings after it's full is that it is great for road cycling. ;)

Speaking of which, very happy to see that sections of 1A and Minnewanka loop are closed again this summer for riding.

Thats a nice uphill segment to Lake Louise visitor parking lot. Of course downhill its pedal free going 40-50K...Which is kind of nice to Cycle back to the Campground nice and easy after a decent day hike. I miss it.

Reactions: Nunymare

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Thats a nice uphill segment to Lake Louise visitor parking lot. Of course downhill its pedal free going 40-50K...Which is kind of nice to Cycle back to the Campground nice and easy after a decent day hike. I miss it.
Last time I headed down that road on my bike to the townsite I hit 70+. (do not recommend ;))

But in all seriousness, if anyone here has a chance to go cycling in the Rockies this summer, there are some great trails from Canmore (Legacy Trail) to the Bow Valley Parkway that can easily be a 100k round-trip ride in a day. It was quite well utilized last year.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Word now that there are some folks that snapped up a bunch of passes and are selling them online for huge profit.

I spent nearly 4 hours trying to get backcountry passes this year for Skyline as well as Yoho. Website constantly crashed over and over, or reset. It just wasn't prepared for the massive crush of people. They needed to beef up their queue system. Ended up not being able to get a single night that I wanted after all of that. Not the end of the world. I may just go run Skyline myself instead of hiking it with a friend, and Yoho was a dads/sons thing that we can reschedule to somewhere in the Public Land Use area, but tough to feel like it's battle to the death for a backcountry pass these days. Wouldn't be surprised at all if a bunch of them end up not being used because people are trying to resell them. Last year there were absolutely empty spots at Jacques Lake when we went for the weekend, and it was supposedly all booked up.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I spent nearly 4 hours trying to get backcountry passes this year for Skyline as well as Yoho. Website constantly crashed over and over, or reset. It just wasn't prepared for the massive crush of people. They needed to beef up their queue system. Ended up not being able to get a single night that I wanted after all of that. Not the end of the world. I may just go run Skyline myself instead of hiking it with a friend, and Yoho was a dads/sons thing that we can reschedule to somewhere in the Public Land Use area, but tough to feel like it's battle to the death for a backcountry pass these days. Wouldn't be surprised at all if a bunch of them end up not being used because people are trying to resell them. Last year there were absolutely empty spots at Jacques Lake when we went for the weekend, and it was supposedly all booked up.

That sucks. People reselling them is total BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad