OT: OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers and our pointless bowl games we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Honestly, I can understand the reasoning of the call. I disagree with the rule, and think it should be changed, but as written I can understand it to a degree being ruled incomplete.

But that controversial call, coupled with the all of 2 penalties for all of 4 yards called against the Patriots for that entire game, really makes me question the refs that game. I'd love for one coach to have the balls to question the officiating calling all of 2 penalties on the Pats that entire game.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The one thing people need to understand about the rule, that they are actually getting wrong is, a player must maintain possession of the ball as he is going to the ground. So... when you are just talking about the goaline, you are wrong. He had to possess the ball. That's an actual rule in the NFL and players have "Caught" balls in the end zone, failed to maintain to the ground, and the ball is called incomplete.

But.. this is not about that. He did maintain possession AND recognized he was short of the endzone making a FOOTBALL MOVE to extend to the goaline. And not only that... he maintained possession as he originally hit down. The extension to the goaline is a clear indication he made a football move, and that DOES count.

So when you are bitching about it... just make sure you are bitching about the right part.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If you don't begin to question the league's integrity after something like this, you lack critical thinking ability. The Patriots had 5 yards in penalties on the road, which happened for only the 5th time this season, weren't called on many obvious penalties, on top of that bogus overturned TD at the end.

Let me ask you something, were you surprised at the review result?
weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The one thing people need to understand about the rule, that they are actually getting wrong is, a player must maintain possession of the ball as he is going to the ground. So... when you are just talking about the goaline, you are wrong. He had to possess the ball. That's an actual rule in the NFL and players have "Caught" balls in the end zone, failed to maintain to the ground, and the ball is called incomplete.

But.. this is not about that. He did maintain possession AND recognized he was short of the endzone making a FOOTBALL MOVE to extend to the goaline. And not only that... he maintained possession as he originally hit down. The extension to the goaline is a clear indication he made a football move, and that DOES count.

So when you are *****ing about it... just make sure you are *****ing about the right part.

At worst, James recovered his own fumble.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It is what it is. Serves me right for watching when I know what the ending will be.

Wasn't going to watch, but I talked to my cousin who lives in NE. He's dying from cancer and so is his wife, and I just felt really positive about this game after I got off the phone with him. He gave me positive vibes and his f***ed up situation just kind of was a big reminder to me that this game isn't life or death.

Hopefully AB doesn't have compartment syndrome, which is likely why they shipped him off to the hospital (monitor it, etc).

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly, I can understand the reasoning of the call. I disagree with the rule, and think it should be changed, but as written I can understand it to a degree being ruled incomplete.

But that controversial call, coupled with the all of 2 penalties for all of 4 yards called against the Patriots for that entire game, really makes me question the refs that game. I'd love for one coach to have the balls to question the officiating calling all of 2 penalties on the Pats that entire game.

If you question the refs, you get money taken out of your pockets. It's hilarious. The NHL and MLB do it, too. A coach can't actually say what he thinks because these leagues will take actual money from your pocket for doing so. And not just a little, either.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

So when you are *****ing about it... just make sure you are *****ing about the right part.
indeed. Had he landed in the endzone in the first place and bobbled it, I would get the call. But he caught it, went down and held it, then extended into the endzone. THEN he bobbled it.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

As far as I know, the Patriots have been involved in 3 similar plays this year. The James "td", a game-winner to Brandin Cooks in week 3, and a play against the Jets where a TD was turned into a touchback.

All 3 plays were called in the Patriots favor.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

Totally agree. Ball in both hands, knee down, extends toward the goal line in a deliberate manner, and crosses said goal line with first his knee and then his elbow down. What a dumb call. And while Id like to say I dont believe in conspiracies, no one in the NFL is on the receiving side of as many close calls as the Pats. Unbelievable.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I honestly didn't think a football game could get me this angry. I.. am actually shocked. :laugh: That ruling is so f***ing dumb.

But honestly shame on the Steelers for:
- 3 and out on offense when you control the game.
- Clear INT in your hands dropped to seal the game.
- Not being prepared on 2nd/3rd down after the overturn.

Shame on the team for that. Other than the lack of focus, they played a damn good game.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
They say you should never go to bed angry, so Im going to go crack a bomber and watch Bettis truck Urlacher in loop.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
It is what it is. Serves me right for watching when I know what the ending will be.

Wasn't going to watch, but I talked to my cousin who lives in NE. He's dying from cancer and so is his wife, and I just felt really positive about this game after I got off the phone with him.

Hopefully AB doesn't have compartment syndrome, which is likely why they shipped him off to the the hospital (monitor it, etc).

Yeah, I thought about compartment syndrome. Hopefully, the trip to the hospital was purely precautionary.

Anybody notice what I thought was the blatant taunt on Gronk's TD. Lot less has been called unsportsmanlike conduct.

Anyway, the TD call is bull****, but you could look at a lot of plays/series that changed the game. Steelers going too conservative for most of the second half; failure to stop the Pats in the last two minutes (well they only needed a minute) and many others. It was entertaining, but really, the NFL's ability to muck up what's a clear catch and let refs control the outcome of the game is something they need to fix.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm a Pats fan and that overturned TD was crazy. I don't pretend to be an expert in the catch rule, but if the rule says that's not a touchdown then we need a new rule...

No. they never needed to extend the ground has to be the definitive ruling with control of the ball.

Basically they can say a guy who drags both feet in bounds but has the ball come out out of bounds after hitting the ground that it isn't a catch.

It's stupid and ruining the game.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You're kind of proving me right by just posting throwaway images. Maybe you could actually explain your thinking .
There are too many people with too much money on the line to stay quiet about the NFL being rigged. It would come out. Why would the other teams just let it happen?

Incompetence is a perfectly reasonable explanation. Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.

But you aren't going to change your mind. It's too well protected.

tinfoilhatguy.jpg

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
There are too many people with too much money on the line to stay quiet about the NFL being rigged. It would come out. Why would the other teams just let it happen?

Incompetence is a perfectly reasonable explanation. Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.

But you aren't going to change your mind. It's too well protected.

tinfoilhatguy.jpg
OK, do you believe the NBA has rigged games in the past then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad