Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I haven't seen him at all, I was mostly being hyperbolic given their past tendencies. I did look at some vids on the kid in the past hour and its his first step that's problematic, maybe due to size, but his edgework looks good.
I absolutely get your reaction. Big Good is still around the offices. But small Michkov, Barkey and Ciernik are encouraging... as were Brink and Tuomaala.

Reactions: iceman42

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
At least we know the guy we get will be 6'5" and can win bar fights, thats all that matters. #Sameasiteverwas
"you cant teach size"...

ahhh the Flyers classic...

Greentree sounds like the typical Flyers pick, from the few experts Ive seen. Works hard, tough, nothing extraordinary, needs to work on skating. Might as well send in the card now.
facts check out...

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Lot of talk about the 1st round for obvious reasons.

Been following the Moose Jaw-Blades series. The teams set a record for most OT games in a series. Both teams were stacked but Lynden Lackovic caught my eye. He’s been a bit overshadowed by Firkus, Savoie etc. Knowing how much Flahr gravitates toward size, they could do worse for a ~3rd round pick. He’s got a great shot, skates well and was clutch in the series (two OT goals including the series clincher). His dad was also an NHL’er. Sasha Lakovic. Passed way when Lynden was very young.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Lot of talk about the 1st round for obvious reasons.

Been following the Moose Jaw-Blades series. The teams set a record for most OT games in a series. Both teams were stacked but Lynden Lackovic caught my eye. He’s been a bit overshadowed by Firkus, Savoie etc. Knowing how much Flahr gravitates toward size, they could do worse for a ~3rd round pick. He’s got a great shot, skates well and was clutch in the series (two OT goals including the series clincher). His dad was also an NHL’er. Sasha Lakovic. Passed way when Lynden was very young.
Not eligible this year. He’s as 2025 guy.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
So what’s the deal with Sennecke? There is chatter, possibly clickbait, that he may be one of the first forwards off the board and a top ten pick. Is it just because he is having great playoffs?
Haven’t watched him much but listening to pronman and peters, he’s always had elite level size and skill combo but didn’t produce at that level but he is now during the playoffs. Keeps getting better and better vs Eiserman who has stagnated

santapore

Oct 11, 2010
damn this draft is hard. if we get like eiserman...sure michkov passing to him sounds amazing! but more i think...we need more picks. seriously trade laughton and even maybe konecny.

Last edited:

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
damn this draft is hard. if we get like eiserman...sure michkov passing to him sounds amazing! but more i think...we need more picks. seriously trade laughton and even maybe konecny.
If TK is traded I doubt a high pick is coming back because the type of team to trade for him would be a team going for it. A upper echelon prospect or good really young player stuck in a logjam on a contending team would likely be the focal point. I’d be very open to a trade where he brings back a center or Dman with high upside. Either way the Flyers have a tough decision to make with him soon.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
If TK is traded I doubt a high pick is coming back because the type of team to trade for him would be a team going for it. A upper echelon prospect or good really young player stuck in a logjam on a contending team would likely be the focal point. I’d be very open to a trade where he brings back a center or Dman with high upside. Either way the Flyers have a tough decision to make with him so

A good GM finds the teams that are ready to push their build forward and think now is the time. Looking at the teams above us, could see that applying to Montreal, Utah (make a splash in new home), Buffalo, New Jersey.

A great GM finds the teams that think they are ready to make a big jump but are wrong.

So far, Briere seems like the type to be neither.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
A good GM finds the teams that are ready to push their build forward and think now is the time. Looking at the teams above us, could see that applying to Montreal, Utah (make a splash in new home), Buffalo, New Jersey.

A great GM finds the teams that think they are ready to make a big jump but are wrong.

So far, Briere seems like the type to be neither.
I think it’s unfair to judge Briere from one year of work. He certainly hasn’t worked miracles but he hasn’t made any major blunders. In regards to trading TK, we really don’t know what’s out there, offer wise. TK and Laughton will certainly show what kind of GM Briere is. Laughton should 100% be gone, and Briere made the right similar move with Walker. As long as Briere shows himself to be planning for the future, I’m content. However I will sound the panic alarm if he starts signing 28-32 year old 2nd line or second pairing players to bad contracts. One thing I fear in regards to TK is that it’s becoming more of a buyer’s market and high end players won’t fetch the returns they used to

Reactions: IronMarshal

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I think it’s unfair to judge Briere from one year of work. He certainly hasn’t worked miracles but he hasn’t made any major blunders. In regards to trading TK, we really don’t know what’s out there, offer wise. TK and Laughton will certainly show what kind of GM Briere is. Laughton should 100% be gone, and Briere made the right similar move with Walker. As long as Briere shows himself to be planning for the future, I’m content. However I will sound the panic alarm if he starts signing 28-32 year old 2nd line or second pairing players to bad contracts. One thing I fear in regards to TK is that it’s becoming more of a buyer’s market and high end players won’t fetch the returns they used to
The fact that we're picking 12th in the first year of a "rebuild" is a major blunder

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The fact that we're picking 12th in the first year of a "rebuild" is a major blunder
My call is to put that on Tortorella. Briere built the roster but the coach puts the players on the ice. He refused to move off of his old vets and play the young guys. Why play Brink when he could play Atkinson? Why play Attard when he could play Staal? And so on. Tortorella refused to play the guys that would make a successful rebuild.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
My call is to put that on Tortorella. Briere built the roster but the coach puts the players on the ice. He refused to move off of his old vets and play the young guys. Why play Brink when he could play Atkinson? Why play Attard when he could play Staal? And so on. Tortorella refused to play the guys that would make a successful rebuild.
But everyone knew what Torts was gonna do. It was Briere's job to prevent it. No room for Brink in the lineup? Trade Laughton. Staal blocking Attard? Trade Staal (or not sign him to begin with). Instead he kept all of those guys and made sure that Seeler would be around to block the kids for four more years.

The larger issue is that I think he actually believes this culture BS. He really thinks a bunch of guys - five of whom might actually still be around when we're competing - learning how to win is more valuable than a top-5 pick.

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
You think we won more games because we played Atkinson over Brink or Attard over Staal? Did you watch those guys play this year?

We would have been picking a lot worse had Torts actually optimized the roster.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
So it appears Lindstrom has back issues. Maybe there’s a chance he drops. With the injury risk would he still be worth betting on at 12 if he’s there?

Reactions: Larry44

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
You think we won more games because we played Atkinson over Brink or Attard over Staal? Did you watch those guys play this year?

We would have been picking a lot worse had Torts actually optimized the roster.
Neither Brink, Attard or several other young players were given the ice time that they should have under a rebuild. Tortorella only care about winning and his personal legacy.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
So it appears Lindstrom has back issues. Maybe there’s a chance he drops. With the injury risk would he still be worth betting on at 12 if he’s there?
It could be a smoke screen but you better do your homework if you are going to take that risk. Based on history I wouldn't trust the Flyers medical staff to read his xray right side up.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
But everyone knew what Torts was gonna do. It was Briere's job to prevent it. No room for Brink in the lineup? Trade Laughton. Staal blocking Attard? Trade Staal (or not sign him to begin with). Instead he kept all of those guys and made sure that Seeler would be around to block the kids for four more years.

The larger issue is that I think he actually believes this culture BS. He really thinks a bunch of guys - five of whom might actually still be around when we're competing - learning how to win is more valuable than a top-5 pick.
Briere blew it by not insisting on his own coach. Unfortunately, he tarnished his own reputation as GM before he even had one by keeping that idiot as coach. Sharks and Hawks are going to have pretty good teams in a few years. Will the Flyers? Meh, they are planning for #PerpetualMediocrity.

Reactions: renberg and bauer

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I picked Silayev in the mock draft based on reports from places I trust. Liked that he was young in the KHL too. I didn’t look into the lack of production too much but it seems like if it existed he would be in the #2 overall conversation

Anyone actually watch him and have an opinion? Seems like he will go high still

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
I picked Silayev in the mock draft based on reports from places I trust. Liked that he was young in the KHL too. I didn’t look into the lack of production too much but it seems like if it existed he would be in the #2 overall conversation

The one write up is a little funny as its kind of an eye roll. "... Silayev has the potential to be a special offensive player, and if he can add that dimension to his game." Really?!!?! if he can add being a special offensive player to his game then he will be a special offensive player.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It could be a smoke screen but you better do your homework if you are going to take that risk. Based on history I wouldn't trust the Flyers medical staff to read his xray right side up.
Yeah I'm avoiding another nolan patrick wasted high pick at all costs, especially with nagging injuries like a back

If he drops to #12 then you can bet we're running to the stage. You don't get players that size, with that mobility and that compete and defensive level basically ever. You can't even trade for them.

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad