OT: OT: MTL Impact Thread - Now Is The Winter Of Our Discontent Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelu88

Sep 12, 2011
Brossard, QC
I think if I look at it objectively, as a fan aware of the worldwide soccer ecosystem, I take that $10 million+ and run. Piatti is not worth that, and we'd be making a smart financial move by doing so.

But the cost needs to be considered. First of all there is the cost to Joey's credibility since he just said 100% guarantee that Piatti will remain for 18 months.

Then there is the fact that there is no replacement for him till this summer at the earliest, even if we have that money. So the first half of our season is at risk.

And both the above lead to risks to the image of the team as a whole. We risk tarnishing the team's image if we sell him and struggle. Would we most probably recover and be better in the long run, but it's hard.

The hockey analogy here is very straight forward. If you're a borderline playoff team, do you sell your star player for a boatload of picks and prospects and dedicate yourself to the tank? Many teams have sold a tanking strategy to their fans successfully, but doing it out of nowhere when everyone thinks you're cup contenders is playing with fire.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
As much as i love seeing Piatti tearing the league apart, if its really 10 million USD thats offered for a 32 year old with a year left on contract, you take the money quick before Boca come to their senses and you go shopping. As long as your not selling without bringing anything in. This has nothing to do with "fans" not understanding the football market, this type of thing will get fans anywhere pissed. You think Boca fans are just shruging at Tevez leaving? Obviously they're expecting a big move with all that money the club received, and i'm not sure they'll be satisfied if it's only Piatti.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Seeing how desperate Boca seems to be, I believe it. Nowadays, every players are overpriced.

I guess you never saw that ; http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1973174-...je-del-hijo-nacho-piatti-en-instagram-stories

EDIT : and What if that 10m offer is true? You take it or leave it?

If we were to believe journalists, Pogba would be at Real and Bale/Varane would be at Manchester United.

As for your question, there is no simple answer. If I have a transfer for a guy that I can market and that will bring similar on-field results to Piatti, sure, do it. However, there would still be some backlash. We aim to be contenders, people expected reinforcement or continuity, not stars to be sold. With a player of equal quality, if we get results, backlash will be short lived.

If I don't have anyway and Romero is my day one starter? **** no.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I dunno, I dont see selling Piatti in such dramatic terms. The only thing i see being a risk as contenders, is breaking the chemistry within the team, cuz there's alot of good players you could get for 10 millions USD and maybe be even more of a cup contender... so many players come to mind... You could make generous offers for both, say, Celso Borges and Mauricio Pinilla and you'd still have money left, or as someone pointed out, theres some pretty good African players on the market right now. I wouldnt see any of those moves as beeing bad for team marketing in order to fill the Stade.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Then there is the fact that there is no replacement for him till this summer at the earliest, even if we have that money. So the first half of our season is at risk.

Isn't the winter transfer window open for 2 more weeks? That's a lot of time to find a replacement.

If I don't have anyway and Romero is my day one starter? **** no.

The point isn't making Romero your starter but finding a better replacement to Piatti that will stick around longer.

Like Lodeiro is an indirect replacement to Obafemi.

if the FO are reading this forum and are too lazy to find a replacement here are some suggestions (African lists only):
Soudani (linked with Seattle)
Kalou
Bouanga
Bakary Sako
Heldon
Abdoulay Diaby

Last edited:

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl

Hey, this is the MLS we're talking about, who cares about half a season?
Look at what Seattle did last year. Wasted half a season > signed Lodeiro in the summer > won the MLS cup.

Tylers Dad

Registered Dad
Sep 12, 2013
Azeroth
I think if I look at it objectively, as a fan aware of the worldwide soccer ecosystem, I take that $10 million+ and run. Piatti is not worth that, and we'd be making a smart financial move by doing so.

I don't know how it works but I don't think the Impact get all 10 million.

The MLS works in such weird ways

gelu88

Sep 12, 2011
Brossard, QC
I don't know how it works but I don't think the Impact get all 10 million.

The MLS works in such weird ways

yup, I posted the exact rules previously, it's public info:

The first cut of the transfer goes to cover any contractual fees. This may include "sell-on fees" that go to prior clubs. Next part goes to cover any fees MLS paid to get the player in the league. Finally, a third of the remaining total goes to MLS and two-thirds goes to the team. Of the two-thirds that come back to the club, only $650,000 comes back as an allocation that can be used for player signings, cap relief, or trades. The rest goes into team operations.

http://www.massivereport.com/2014/8/...to-cut-the-pie

I'm pretty sure there are no pending fees or split payments, so assuming a $10 million fee, IMFC gets $6.6 million.

of that amount, $650k goes to the cap while the other $6 million would need to go to the stadium, academy, staff, or whatever else qualifies as team operations.

Thinking it though like this, it makes me less convinced that he'd ever sell. The team has basically bought everything it needs(ie: staff, the casterne, the academy). The money could be used to pay down debt, but it's of limited value to get a new player, so I don't think its clear that it's something we need.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Looking at the big ''trying to grow the fan base'' picture perspective, Nacho is worth more than 10 millions to the team in my opinion. Selling him now, after such a positive year ,would send a bad message . Unless we have a good target in mind to spend that money that will create some buzz in the city.

Tylers Dad

Registered Dad
Sep 12, 2013
Azeroth
yup, I posted the exact rules previously, it's public info:

http://www.massivereport.com/2014/8/...to-cut-the-pie

I'm pretty sure there are no pending fees or split payments, so assuming a $10 million fee, IMFC gets $6.6 million.

of that amount, $650k goes to the cap while the other $6 million would need to go to the stadium, academy, staff, or whatever else qualifies as team operations.

Thinking it though like this, it makes me less convinced that he'd ever sell. The team has basically bought everything it needs(ie: staff, the casterne, the academy). The money could be used to pay down debt, but it's of limited value to get a new player, so I don't think its clear that it's something we need.
So out of the assumed 10 million, we only get 650k that we're allowed to use to sign a replacement for him?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
No offside would be terrible for the game.

But I would be in favor of eliminating offside once the pass is made after the center line.

oh that would actually be fine, I guess. We see so many terrible offside calls that are made and some that aren't called for some reason. This new rule would change all that. I'm not sure about these new/old penalty kicks, it would make the game funnier though

Tylers Dad

Registered Dad
Sep 12, 2013
Azeroth
oh that would actually be fine, I guess. We see so many terrible offside calls that are made and some that aren't called for some reason. This new rule would change all that. I'm not sure about these new/old penalty kicks, it would make the game funnier though
Old MLS had those penalty kicks

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
pretty much all American leagues had those, I remember watching a few IMFC shootouts

Kant Think

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 30, 2007
Gatineau
As far as I'm concerned, old school MLS shootouts or regular penalty kicks... they're both pretty much the same: frustrating compromises at an unfortunate time.

I say: play as many overtimes as it takes even if you have to sub in members of the crowd!

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
As far as I'm concerned, old school MLS shootouts or regular penalty kicks... they're both pretty much the same: frustrating compromises at an unfortunate time.

I say: play as many overtimes as it takes even if you have to sub in members of the crowd!

yeah and when players have heart attacks for playing 210 minutes what do u do? This isn't hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad