OT: OT: MTL Impact Thread - Now Is The Winter Of Our Discontent Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Once again, bad marketing (in this case, once again, bad market analysis). Demand has increased in the last two years, but they overestimate the elasticity of the demand. If they raise the prices too much, people will stop going. 40$ for general admission is crazy at this point.

OT: You guys are going to hate me. I got invited to the Habs game tomorrow by a supplier and I am going to be in one of the luxury suites wearing a tie and not really paying attention to the game while discussing deals with business partners. I will be part of everything that is wrong with pro sports today. Bitter sweet feeling I would say. Fun to have the chance to go in one of these suits, sad that I am not going for the product itself and will, by not being there for hockey, lessen the real fan's experience.

It's not like you cared about the Habs anyway :laugh:

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Is it just me, or tickets are more expensive? Not by a dollar or two, but more.

37$ + 2$ fee for general admission

I went a lot less last year because of the price hike, and will be going even less this year. Legendre claims that they want it to be an accessible and family friendly place, but kinda hard to afford bringing your whole family with you... unless your from a certain class. And at these prices its getting harder to find friends who want to go there instead of watching the game on TV/streaming, and I'm talking about imfc/soccer fans. Yes, it's cheaper than going to a hockey game, but the core people who go to IMFC games are not the same boomer and yuppie zombie crowd as at the Bell Center, and that was a big part of what I appreciated about the experience. The price hikes and the sanitizing anti-ultra stance are a definite turn off. I plan going to 2-3 games this year compared to 5 last year and at least 10 the years before.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It's not like you cared about the Habs anyway :laugh:

No, but I love hockey :laugh:. I even bought playoff tickets (game 3 and game 6) for Habs/Bruins in 2011. Game 6 is one of my best LIVE sports memories (****ing Lucic who hit Spacek from behind).

My beef with corporate tickets and luxury suites is mostly that it raises prices for the REAL fans especially in markets like Montreal. However, without those, there probably wouldn't be a sports business. Thank god IMFC tickets are still relatively cheap. Can't believe they raised the prices that much after ONE succesfull season at the gate under very special circumstances (Drogba). I think IMFC's marketing people are too number driven and don't understand context. How else could you make such a shortsighted decision. Anyway, it isn't as if most sport teams were example of good business management :help:

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Training camp roster announced:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/fr/post/2017/01/23/limpact-amorce-son-camp-dentraînement

The only real surprise is Anthony Wallace (27 years old ex-RBNY/Colorado/Dallas depth player) who was likely brought to challenge Aron Mkungilwa for the #2 LB spot.

I wonder how it'll work out for the kids with the Canada U20 team. I know there's another trainng camp in Mexico Jan 25-Feb 4, then the CONCACAF U20 Championship Feb 17-March 6. They'll most likely miss part of training camp and the Rowdies invitational. I'm mostly anxious to see Ballou play with/against MLS first team quality players.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Do you guys know when the 10 game package comes out usually? I can't access that info on IMFC website currently, and I sent them an email about it, but I was wondering if any of you knew.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
No, but I love hockey :laugh:. I even bought playoff tickets (game 3 and game 6) for Habs/Bruins in 2011. Game 6 is one of my best LIVE sports memories (****ing Lucic who hit Spacek from behind).

My beef with corporate tickets and luxury suites is mostly that it raises prices for the REAL fans especially in markets like Montreal. However, without those, there probably wouldn't be a sports business. Thank god IMFC tickets are still relatively cheap. Can't believe they raised the prices that much after ONE succesfull season at the gate under very special circumstances (Drogba). I think IMFC's marketing people are too number driven and don't understand context. How else could you make such a shortsighted decision. Anyway, it isn't as if most sport teams were example of good business management :help:

I can see the organisation complain that the stadium isn't full, only to lower the prices halfway thru the season.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
The most I paid last year was 20-25$ per ticket, thanks to the videotron promo code every purchase. I will still be going to 90% of games for my third year in a row, but I won't be purchasing anything there anymore (I usually went for a beer).

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

It seems to me that they're testing the market. It is far from a steep raise. You rarely have a night out nowadays for less than 40 bucks (i.e. Comedy Show, Restaurant, Nightlife, Pro sports, etc). Some people like to go to the restaurant 5 times a week and it's fine, it's discretionary spending, but I'd rather go once a week and spend the rest on an IMFC game every now and then.

Besides, the prices are only out for the first game. Maybe they charge more for it?

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It seems to me that they're testing the market. It is far from a steep raise. You rarely have a night out nowadays for less than 40 bucks (i.e. Comedy Show, Restaurant, Nightlife, Pro sports, etc). Some people like to go to the restaurant 5 times a week and it's fine, it's discretionary spending, but I'd rather go once a week and spend the rest on an IMFC game every now and then.

Besides, the prices are only out for the first game. Maybe they charge more for it?

Testing the market at this point seems like a pretty short-sighted move. Yes, you come up of two very successful seasons on the pitch, record TV ratings and good gates. However, there is the Drogba factor. With no Drogba and barely any recruiting, how can they expect the fanbase to pay MORE at this point? If attendance holds up this year at last year's price even when lesser results and no global superstar, then, since the market showed that it was more solid than we thought, you can test it and raise the prices. Raising them now seems like an unnecessary risk... especially when considering that the entry fee has now been paid in full (so less expenses). You don't necessarily need the extra income it MIGHT bring at this point. I guess one could argue that Saputo has no more funds to take the losses if attendance drop as a result of the price increase.

Maybe they do charge more for the opener and that would be a smart move, actually. There will be more demand for that game. Having premium games is a better idea than unilateraly raising the prices IMO.

At the end of the day, everything depends on the results on the pitch. If the team is a contender, the stadium will be full all summer long (don't expect it to be full in April and May, no matter the prices though).

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
That being said, I think tickets at the Big O were always more expensive, but I don't remember them being 39$ for general admission

Saputo GA was how much last year? 29$?

I tried finding my receipts, but I only seem to have the actual ticket, can't find cost.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
Raising prices and no star power attraction. Mmmmm....

I really should have kept a record of individual and season ticket prices

Because GA season tickets are 380$, which is exactly 20$ per game (17 regular season home games + 1 canadian tournament game + 1 friendly), and that's cheap, I even think cheaper than last year

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I really should have kept a record of individual and season ticket prices

Because GA season tickets are 380$, which is exactly 20$ per game (17 regular season home games + 1 canadian tournament game + 1 friendly), and that's cheap, I even think cheaper than last year

So it's not true? I'm mixed up here. Are they going up or not?

BigFatPapa

Oct 7, 2003
read it as Rodney Wallace and got excited for a second. :shakehead

that Forward depth is depressive

Especially when you consider that Mancosu's loan ends during the summer.

I wonder how it'll work out for the kids with the Canada U20 team. I know there's another trainng camp in Mexico Jan 25-Feb 4, then the CONCACAF U20 Championship Feb 17-March 6. They'll most likely miss part of training camp and the Rowdies invitational. I'm mostly anxious to see Ballou play with/against MLS first team quality players.

A bit of a weird situation for Ballou and Shome but at least they are under contract with the team so they can ease them in early during the season.
TMG, on the other hand, is currently our best unsigned prospect (voted 2nd best U20 canadian player, started both U20 games as captain). They better sign him, if only for him to get loaned somewhere (I don't see him getting a lot of minutes at CB with Ciman, Cabrera, Camara and Lefèvre ahead of him).
Hopefully Ottawa has seen enough of him in the past to want him.

Another interesting observation: in the last Secteur 12 video, IMFC staff is seen speaking with Ottawa's coach Paul Dalglish during the combine so it seems that the two organisations are at least working closely together.

@ 4:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad