OT: OT: MTL Impact Thread - Now Is The Winter Of Our Discontent Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Twitter rumors has Boca Junior apparently doubling their initial offer for Piatti. I guess we're talking about a double-digit transfer fee offer.

Joey will tell them to suck his Italian dick. I think the negative financial repercussion of trading Piatti at this moment would outweight the money received. At this point, we have to build on last year to maintain credibility in the public eye. Selling Piatti, our best player, would make this goal nearly impossible to reach. We need to ADD to the team, not substract.

BigFatPapa

Oct 7, 2003
Joey will tell them to suck his Italian dick. I think the negative financial repercussion of trading Piatti at this moment would outweight the money received. At this point, we have to build on last year to maintain credibility in the public eye. Selling Piatti, our best player, would make this goal nearly impossible to reach. We need to ADD to the team, not substract.

Especially since he confirmed no later than yesterday (Monday) that Piatti was coming back next season. Selling Piatti today would be exponentially more damaging to his credibility and the team's image than selling him last week, before the press conference.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
Especially since he confirmed no later than yesterday (Monday) that Piatti was coming back next season. Selling Piatti today would be exponentially more damaging to his credibility and the team's image than selling him last week, before the press conference.

If the initial offer really was 10M and that Boca is doubling it, 20 million USD is a lot of money

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal

Or it could have been a ploy to up the transfer fee

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If the initial offer really was 10M and that Boca is doubling it, 20 million USD is a lot of money

Long term he will lose more than that if he damages the relationship with the fanbase. Casual fans don't understand the reality of world football yet. All they would see is us sending our best player away for money. That would anger a lot of people. Letting him go for free would have financial and football impact, but less fan backlash. People understand free agency, they don't yet understand the transfer market.

If we had a "mature" fanbase, sell the guy, buy players with that money or invest in the Academy structure and be better off in the long run. Saputo painted himself in a corner by trying to play with the big boys with the Drogba signing. Now, people not only expect results, they expect to be a big player. To maintain that status not only do we need to sign more players, but we need to keep the stars we have. Piatti and Ciman, of course, but guys like Bernier, Camara and Bush too as.they have a VERY STRONG connection with the customer base.

Drogba brought us "mainstream" credibility now we gotta maintain it. Selling Piatti destroys that credibility.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
It could've very well been a negotiation tactic to confirm Piatti back, and I'd sell Piatti for dirty money. But I don't think it'd sit well with the casual fan who barely follows soccer. Still, we sell Piatti and we're perhaps facing a **** season next year. I don't think the growing fan base is ready for that.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Sebastian Blanco might still be available if Piatti is sold (or even not sold)

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It could've very well been a negotiation tactic to confirm Piatti back, and I'd sell Piatti for dirty money. But I don't think it'd sit well with the casual fan who barely follows soccer. Still, we sell Piatti and we're perhaps facing a **** season next year. I don't think the growing fan base is ready for that.

You do that and you have 12k people in the Big O for the opener and maybe 10k if you are lucky in September. Not a good strategy, bruh.

The relationship with the fanbase just reached mainstream status. You have on average about 200k people watching soccer on TV and we had sellouts all Summer long... and Drogba barely played. IMFC brand grew a lot in the last two years thanks to the CCL run, Drogba and last season's playoff run. Ciman, Piatti, Bush, Camara and Bernier are at least "known" by most mononcle. Sell Piatti now and you lose a lot of goodwill that will be very hard to get back. "Pffff, all they do is sell the best players, like the Expos did."

Joey has to be very careful as the fanbase is still very fragile. Growing, more passionate (heck, Ron ****ing Fournier talks soccer semi-regularly), but fragile. Can't look like clowns by losing our best player. Never forget that Piatti learned French and is beloved by the fanbase. It counts. Our brand is not strong enough yet and the public doesn't understand how soccer works yet. If Ballou develops well, selling him will be hard too. They might have to give him (or any youngster that becames a star) Bradley money so he stays and help improve the league. Even then, he might leave. Let's not kid ourselves next step for MLS is develop stars and keep them.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Oh boy Joey is gonna regret this... The more they knock, the more the temptation will rise.

You guys are acting as if Piatti is irreplaceable. We're gonna lose him no matter what after this year. Only difference is that we'll suffer next year. If NDS has indeed 'so many connections' in Argentina, it shouldn't be troublesome. Plus, watching that Africans Cup, I see a few players playing in lower leagues that would fit IMFC so well; Soudani, Kalou, Bouanga(Gabon) and Bakary Sako barely playing with Crystal Palace. Heldon playing in Portugal, Diaby from Mali but not selected. This shows the FO's incompetence.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Oh boy Joey is gonna regret this... The more they knock, the more the temptation will rise.

You guys are acting as if Piatti is irreplaceable. We're gonna lose him no matter what after this year. Only difference is that we'll suffer next year. If NDS has indeed 'so many connections' in Argentina, it shouldn't be troublesome. Plus, watching that Africans Cup, I see a few players playing in lower leagues that would fit IMFC so well; Soudani, Kalou, Bouanga(Gabon) and Bakary Sako barely playing with Crystal Palace. Heldon playing in Portugal, Diaby from Mali but not selected. This shows the FO's incompetence.

I'm pretty sure no one here is acting like that.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Long term he will lose more than that if he damages the relationship with the fanbase. Casual fans don't understand the reality of world football yet. All they would see is us sending our best player away for money. That would anger a lot of people. Letting him go for free would have financial and football impact, but less fan backlash. People understand free agency, they don't yet understand the transfer market.

If we had a "mature" fanbase, sell the guy, buy players with that money or invest in the Academy structure and be better off in the long run. Saputo painted himself in a corner by trying to play with the big boys with the Drogba signing. Now, people not only expect results, they expect to be a big player. To maintain that status not only do we need to sign more players, but we need to keep the stars we have. Piatti and Ciman, of course, but guys like Bernier, Camara and Bush too as.they have a VERY STRONG connection with the customer base.

Drogba brought us "mainstream" credibility now we gotta maintain it. Selling Piatti destroys that credibility.

So we're gonna refuse a double digit transfer offer for an aging winger that is homesick bc casual fans don't understand the reality of football?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It isn't incompetence. It is a business decision, not a soccer one. You look at it strictly from a soccer point of view. From that point of view... yeah take the money and get some depth and at least an impact offensive player. Invest the extra money on better coaches for the academy. More traveling, build international relationships, etc.

Unless we use Piatti money to instantly bring in a mainstream recognazable star, therefore creating the perception we upgraded on Piatti, there will be a huge backlash.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
So we're gonna refuse a double digit transfer offer for an aging winger that is homesick bc casual fans don't understand the reality of football?

Fans = revenues. So, yeah. Unless you have a big transfer lined up and you need funding to complete it... selling would be stupid. Once again, from a business point of view, very risky move.

And let us be honest, 10m+? That is a silly rumor.

BigFatPapa

Oct 7, 2003

The reality of football is that football is a business and in business, you need to know the market you operate in.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
It isn't incompetence. It is a business decision, not a soccer one. You look at it strictly from a soccer point of view. From that point of view... yeah take the money and get some depth and at least an impact offensive player. Invest the extra money on better coaches for the academy. More traveling, build international relationships, etc.

Unless we use Piatti money to instantly bring in a mainstream recognazable star, therefore creating the perception we upgraded on Piatti, there will be a huge backlash.

You're overreacting, before Piatti came, no one knew who he was. Also fair to say he got better and bigger brand too. His value went through the roof and now it's time to say goodbye (or at most by next season). There were people at the stadium before he joined and there will be after he leaves. For years, you always had doubts about attendance, I don't get it...

I see the point you're trying to make but if for example we bring a player of a good level, (no need for an elite mainstream )there won't be any 'huge backlash'.

Fans = revenues. So, yeah. Unless you have a big transfer lined up and you need funding to complete it... selling would be stupid. Once again, from a business point of view, very risky move.

And let us be honest, 10m+? That is a silly rumor.

That is by far the most abusrd comment I read so far this year. $10m+ for a MLS Player that isn't named Giovinco, Dos Santos, Altidore or Bradley and above 30 is ALOT. Even in Europe, a 32 yo winger is cheaper (outside of CR, Ribery and Robben). this is what we call an offer that is too good to refuse. That is wonderkid transfer money. The record for a transfer in MLS was 10 years ago when Altidore got signed by Villareal and he was a wonderkid...

Considering early reports said Boca were looking to sign Piatti for 4-5 mill, fair to say that by doubling it, it becomes 10Mil

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
If you don't have a replacement you don't sell, that simple.

With no Piatti or any same caliber replacement the Impact would be due for a long and terrible season, which would destroy any momentum built in the past few years.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Refusing a 10 million dollar offer for a 32 year old player playing in MLS? Heck yes he's gone.

Exactly on point. I'm trying to think of a player in Europe playing in his position and same age range that would cost as much or more. The only ones that vaguely comes to mind are Ronaldo, Robben and Ribery and that says a lot...

With no Piatti or any same caliber replacement the Impact would be due for a long and terrible season, which would destroy any momentum built in the past few years.

If we aim for Argentine players yea we're maybe doomed but there are good available players worldwide, the list is longer than Schindler's list.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You're overreacting, before Piatti came, no one knew who he was. Also fair to say he got better and bigger brand too. His value went through the roof and now it's time to say goodbye (or at most by next season). There were people at the stadium before he joined and there will be after he leaves. For years, you always had doubts about attendance, I don't get it...

I see the point you're trying to make but if for example we bring a player of a good level, (no need for an elite mainstream )there won't be any 'huge backlash'.

That is by far the most abusrd comment I read so far this year. $10m+ for a MLS Player that isn't named Giovinco, Dos Santos, Altidore or Bradley and above 30 is ALOT. Even in Europe, a 32 yo winger is cheaper (outside of CR, Ribery and Robben). this is what we call an offer that is too good to refuse. That is wonderkid transfer money. The record for a transfer in MLS was 10 years ago when Altidore got signed by Villareal and he was a wonderkid...

Considering early reports said Boca were looking to sign Piatti for 4-5 mill, fair to say that by doubling it, it becomes 10Mil

That's what I am saying. 10M is a silly offer. As in way too high. I don't buy for a second that they are offering that much.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Yup. And the more we lose the more people are pissed, the more they stay at home and stop watching games on TV.

Perception will be that Joey went for the cash, doesn't give a **** about the fans or winning. He did like the Expos did and sold their best players.

Selling Piatti would be a ****** business move. And forget about the 10M, there is likely no such offer. Even 5 is far-fetched.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad