OT: OT Lounge (No politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
There isn't enough vaccine to go around. You can sign up all you want... I have as I work in an industry that is being prioritized but... Gonna be a good 6 to 12 months before they actually have enough doses for the entire population. If not longer.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
There isn't enough vaccine to go around. You can sign up all you want... I have as I work in an industry that is being prioritized but... Gonna be a good 6 to 12 months before they actually have enough doses for the entire population. If not longer.
So what you're saying is orders /= deliveries? Shocked I am. LOL.

I get my shot on Monday. First shot. There remains a supply problem in this country. Progress is good, eligibility age drops nearly daily. Let's see if supply can keep up.

For me the real test is what happens when the majority gets the second dose.

Reactions: blues10 and Jets 31

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

I get my shot on Monday. First shot. There remains a supply problem in this country. Progress is good, eligibility age drops nearly daily. Let's see if supply can keep up.

I'm saying Manitoba is only ahead of Nunavut in terms of vaccinating people.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We're going to be swimming in vaccine in a month or so. The province's own projections figure 70% of Manitoba adults will have their first dose by June 8 and 2nd dose sometime in July.

90% of everyone over 70 have had at least their first shot. Nearly 80% of age 60-69. Half of age 50-59 (up 15% in the last week). Currently 44% of Manitobans over age 20+ have had at least 1 shot.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

So when you say the real question is what happens after everyone gets their second dose do you mean what happens to the spread of Covid, or what happens to our societal mood and government approach.......or all the above :laugh:

The web said my first Pfizer dose is 80% effective second dose is 90% effective.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
There remains a supply problem in this country

There remains a supply problem in pretty much every country - Canada, however, is one of the better ones when it comes to procuring vaccines for its population, on a per capita basis.

Let's see if supply can keep up.

Supply has been increasing, month over month - all indications show that supply will increase, barring another production issue.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There remains a supply problem in pretty much every country - Canada, however, is one of the better ones when it comes to procuring vaccines for its population, on a per capita basis.

Supply has been increasing, month over month - all indications show that supply will increase, barring another production issue.
Canada switching to a first-dose-first strategy has helped a lot.

This is from 3 days ago, but you can see Canada's ahead of everyone but Israel (who cut a deal with Pfizer and have a small, dense population), the UK (who make AZ in-country), the US (Pfizer in-country and vaccine exports prohibited), Chile and Hungary. (Chart from https://twitter.com/petbugs13).

E00gO-bVIAESpBO

Reactions: Derfel

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Canada switching to a first-dose-first strategy has helped a lot.

This is from 3 days ago, but you can see Canada's ahead of everyone but Israel (who cut a deal with Pfizer and have a small, dense population), the UK (who make AZ in-country), the US (Pfizer in-country and vaccine exports prohibited), Chile and Hungary. (Chart from https://twitter.com/petbugs13).

E00gO-bVIAESpBO
Just crossing my fingers our population is smart enough to outweigh the anti-vaxxers who are becoming a problem in the States. Don't want to plateau at too low of a % of population vaccinated.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Just crossing my fingers our population is smart enough to outweigh the anti-vaxxers who are becoming a problem in the States. Don't want to plateau at too low of a % of population vaccinated.

who cares. even when vaccinated you can still get and carry this virus. if they don't want to get vaccinated it is on them and they will be the ones at risk by choice. Vaccination is not going to miraculously get rid of Covid or stop the spread... it just protects you a bit better.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What difference does it make if the vaccine doesn't prevent infection or transmission (like Dr Tam just repeated)?

The most at risk have been vaccinated, and it's now opening up to whoever wants one. Once people who want it have gotten it, whoever declines is on their own. That's their choice, and regardless of whether I agree with it or not, I'll respect it and we can all carry on as a society

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
who cares. even when vaccinated you can still get and carry this virus. if they don't want to get vaccinated it is on them and they will be the ones at risk by choice. Vaccination is not going to miraculously get rid of Covid or stop the spread... it just protects you a bit better.
Evidence in other countries has shown it tremendously reduces infections and transmission, not 100% but it absolutely helps. Vaccinating is the key to getting out of this. You are misinformed. If there was no vaccination there would be no end in site for this pandemic.

What difference does it make if the vaccine doesn't prevent infection or transmission (like Dr Tam just repeated)?

The most at risk have been vaccinated, and it's now opening up to whoever wants one. Once people who want it have gotten it, whoever declines is on their own. That's their choice, and regardless of whether I agree with it or not, I'll respect it and we can all carry on as a society
See previous answer, it doesn't 100% prevent infecting or transmission but it absolutely helps. In the states it was something like less than 1% of people who have been fully vaccinated have contracted Covid.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Evidence in other countries has shown it tremendously reduces infections and transmission, not 100% but it absolutely helps. Vaccinating is the key to getting out of this. You are misinformed. If there was no vaccination there would be no end in site for this pandemic.

I am not misinformed at all. I am not saying anything negative. I am just saying if the anti vaxxers do not vaccinate that is on them, you cant force them to do it.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

See previous answer, it doesn't 100% prevent infecting or transmission but it absolutely helps. In the states it was something like less than 1% of people who have been fully vaccinated have contracted Covid.
You seem to think natural immunity isn't a thing. For example, compare Israel to South Africa. One is one of the most vaccinated palaces in the world, the other has hardly vaccinated anyone. Very similar outcomes. So it turns out maybe you're misinformed a bit too
Screenshot_20210510-125738_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210510-125615_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210510-125455_Chrome.jpg

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You seem to think natural immunity isn't a thing. For example, compare Israel to South Africa. One is one of the most vaccinated palaces in the world, the other has hardly vaccinated anyone. Very similar outcomes. So it turns out maybe you're misinformed a bit tooView attachment 432173 View attachment 432174 View attachment 432175
I literally haven't said a thing about natural immunity.

Vaccines work, and are the key to getting out of this pandemic. Not letting everybody get sick and dealing with the consequences of 'natural immunity'.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Saying vaccination 'just protects you a little bit more' is a gross understatement. If 80% of people were vaccinated tomorrow, the pandemic would be over.

its not an understatement at all. you are really just speaking in grandiose terms. which is ok, knock your socks off and get excited with it.

All I am saying is if they don't vaccinated its their choice, the virus is still going to float around the general population and we will be a little more protected from it being vaccinated. anti vaxxers as far as I am aware is a very low % of the population so your outrage and worry towards them may be unwarranted. You should be more concerned about the Vaccination hesitancy. The people that are not against vaccination but the ones that are relatively healthy, or may have had covid and came out fine and are unsure about being injected or feel that they dont need it.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
its not an understatement at all. you are really just speaking in grandiose terms. which is ok, knock your socks off and get excited with it.

All I am saying is if they don't vaccinated its their choice, the virus is still going to float around the general population and we will be a little more protected from it being vaccinated. anti vaxxers as far as I am aware is a very low % of the population so your outrage and worry towards them may be unwarranted. You should be more concerned about the Vaccination hesitancy. The people that are not against vaccination but the ones that are relatively healthy, or may have had covid and came out fine and are unsure about being injected or feel that they dont need it.
It is absolutely an understatement. It is the key to allowing elderly people, those with pre-existing conditions etc. to be safe interacting with the public. It is the key to allowing life to go on as it once did. Without vaccinations we would be going in and out of lockdowns for who knows how long.

You are right, strict anti-vaxxers are the minority. The people who are hesitant need to educate themselves on how much harm it will cause if people fail to get vaccinated in high numbers.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So when you say the real question is what happens after everyone gets their second dose do you mean what happens to the spread of Covid, or what happens to our societal mood and government approach.......or all the above :laugh:

The web said my first Pfizer dose is 80% effective second dose is 90% effective.
Even more importantly, a single dose is 100% effective against hospitalization or death. If you get it, it will be mild.

I also have my first Pfizer.

Reactions: Jets 31 and blues10

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

From a study in California it was far less than 1%. Like 1 in 15,000. And none have become seriously ill.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

That’s where I stand. Once everyone has ACCESS to the vaccine, we go back to normal. Either you want to protect yourself or you don’t. Your decision at that point.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Best case scenario in Canada over the next 10 years is COVID 19 becomes more like a seasonal flu experience. You might get infected , you might experience varying degrees of flu-like illness, BUT if you have had the vaccination and have somewhat healthy lungs to begin with, you will have a very low risk of serious illness and hospitalization.

Yearly boosters are likely depending on new strains/mutations. And whether you wear a mask or not will be up to you. New normals are likely.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I literally haven't said a thing about natural immunity.

Vaccines work, and are the key to getting out of this pandemic. Not letting everybody get sick and dealing with the consequences of 'natural immunity'.
My point is that there have been many pandemics, and almost every single one ended without a vaccine.... so to say that "the only way out" is through vaccination (or at least herd immunity is vaccination) is patently 100% false.

On a related note, I spoke to a buddy I work out with/train with. Young and healthy, virtually no risk from covid. Initially he was against the idea of being vaccinated, but he loves to travel and figures there will be restrictions in the future so he went ahead and got the Pfizer 2 weeks ago.

3 hours after the shot he began experiencing debilitating vertigo, and it hasn't improved. He's been unable to work. He's regretting his decision. What if it's permanent?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

What difference does it make whether you fly down to Syria and hang out there during their civil war or just stay at home in Canada since there is no guarantee that criminals are not going to break into your house and kill you?

We have a logician on this board lol.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What difference does it make whether you fly down to Syria and hang out there during their civil war or just stay at home in Canada since there is no guarantee that criminals are not going to break into your house and kill you?

We have a logician on this board lol.
That's the BEST comparison I've ever seen...

At my age/fitness I'm at lower risk from covid than a serious side event from the vax.

You use your background and risk profile to make your decision, I'll use mine. Difference is I won't mock mock for your choice.

Lots of people on here just assume someone's opinion is wrong just because they disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad