OT: OT Lounge (No politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Fair question. The symptoms are similar to Covid. However, after the 2nd dose hospitalization and death falls into rare territory. With Covid I would have to miss 14+ days of work , my close contact wife and children would be isolating for 14+ days and who knows how sick anyone of us would get.

3 days layed up In bed taking ibuprofen watching Netflix and sports on tv seemed like a pretty good trade off.
Fair enough, and thanks for the answer.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
it’s sorta like the same as getting the flu shot. The annual flu shot doesnt always stop you from getting the flu, but it will reduce the severity of it if you do still get it. It stops most people from getting severely sick or end up in the hospital if they do get it. In fact, some people that get the flu shot still get the flu, they just never know it. And some people that get the shot do react to it and get sick, but it’s about trying to do what’s best for the masses, not what’s best for the individual.

said this before…everything we are doing is to stop the hospitals from getting totally overwhelmed. Reducing the severity of COVID stops that.
That's all true, and if someone is at a higher risk for a severe outcome like hospitalization, ICU or death it makes sense. That was the goal of the vaccine form the start, and I think that we're already starting to see the benefits of vaccinating the higher risk populations with the fact that our cases are rising but the more severe outcomes aren't in lockstep.

Reactions: cbcwpg

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Really? Temporary pain to prevent possible future long term health issues or even death...why would that even be debatable?
Because some people aren't at risk for a long term health issue or death if they get covid. There are all kinds of risk/benefit analysis to be done by people all over the risk spectrum. I was asking specifically what when into their decision process.

I find all this fascinating, and we're in a really unique period of human history.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Because some people aren't at risk for a long term health issue or death if they get covid. There are all kinds of risk/benefit analysis to be done by people all over the risk spectrum. I was asking specifically what when into their decision process.

I find all this fascinating, and we're in a really unique period of human history.
Nobody knows that. It affects people differently.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Nobody knows that. It affects people differently.
Sure, but I could also say that nobody really knows the long term effects of the vaccines, especially the mrna ones.

So we assess our risk/benefits, run it though our life experiences and make our decisions. I respect the choice you made, I hope you do the same for others

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
"While it’s difficult to definitively say whether or not there are long-term side-effects, the medical and scientific community is confident in the long-term safety of the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines.
According to the USA Centers for Disease Control, “Researchers have been studying and working with mRNA vaccines for decades."

Reactions: Jets 31 and blues10

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
"While it’s difficult to definitively say whether or not there are long-term side-effects, the medical and scientific community is confident in the long-term safety of the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines.
According to the USA Centers for Disease Control, “Researchers have been studying and working with mRNA vaccines for decades."

Exactly - in fact, the Pfizer vaccine for COVID-19 has been in development in some form since 2012 - it has just been modified for and tested against COVID-19 specifically.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Honest question... considering that the vaccine doesn't prevent infection or transmission (only reduce severity of disease), isn't the whole point of taking it to NOT end up like that?

I don't want to turn this into any kind of taboo topic, I'm just genuinely curious here. It sounds like you traded apples for different kind of apples
I believe the evidence shows that the vaccines do prevent infection and transmission.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-vaccine-first-dose-protection-canada-1.6009822

I had my first shot of AZ two weeks ago. About 12 hours after, I started feeling some chills, muscle/joint aches and a headache. Didn't sleep well and took the next day off work. Felt pretty good about 24 hours after the initial onset of symptoms and was back at work the next day.

I felt crappy - but not so bad I couldn't lie on the couch and watch Netflix all day... ;)

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Update for those who care: Friday will be 4 weeks smoke free :thumbu:
Congrats Dude!

Today is my 10 year anniversary for quitting smoking. I smoked for over 30 years and finally had enough and kicked it cold turkey. It was a real bitch (as was I according to my wife :)) but obviously well worth the effort.

Keep fighting the good fight...

tenor.gif

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Got my AZ shot 2 weeks ago today ….. didn’t fell anything not even a sore arm! When I get a flu shot I usually am sore for a day or two….
Didn’t even get the chance to skip out on a day of work lol

Reactions: blues10 and Jets 31

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
My street was the last one on one of the "high risk areas" so fiancee and myself got our vaccine booked for May 19th. Really hoping enough people will sign up so that we can have a cfl season.

Reactions: ps241

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
My better half and I got our vaccine yesterday

Arm is a little sore but nothing else major

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Congrats Dude!

Today is my 10 year anniversary for quitting smoking. I smoked for over 30 years and finally had enough and kicked it cold turkey. It was a real bitch (as was I according to my wife :)) but obviously well worth the effort.

Keep fighting the good fight...

tenor.gif
Thanks, I'm almost at 5 weeks and barely a craving now. Sometimes if I'm feeling highly stressed I will but ones associated with coffee, after a meal, with a beer etc are gone.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks, I'm almost at 5 weeks and barely a craving now. Sometimes if I'm feeling highly stressed I will but ones associated with coffee, after a meal, with a beer etc are gone.

Dude, that's awesome. You're doing amazing with one of the most difficult challenges. Both my grandfathers quit cold-turkey in their late 50s and they were extraordinary men, and it looks like you're made of the same stuff too :). Keep it up!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
well I lasted 7 days dry, lol. currently in 'nostalgia phase'

How many days were you shooting for? I did a sober February and was surprised how tough the first week was but I have been a total pail face during Covid (“in the Pail”)

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
How many days were you shooting for? I did a sober February and was surprised how tough the first week was but I have been a total pail face during Covid (“in the Pail”)

Was trying to go the whole month at least. So now gonna go 30 of 31 days, figure that'll be the second best achievement :)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Was trying to go the whole month at least. So now gonna go 30 of 31 days, figure that'll be the second best achievement :)

30 of 31 is spectacular and accomplishes the same thing so take a bow!!

February was good for me it was a reboot after I picked up some new bad habits during the stress of Covid. It was nice to get back to my old usual way less than perfect self.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, COVID's blowing up in Winnipeg again.

Stay safe, mask up, do curbside pickup for everything you can.

At least the snow will be gone in a few days...
We're on track to fill up all the ICU beds very soon, so continue to keep your heads down, everyone!

Reactions: Jets 31

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Congrats! I'm at week 704... ;) My only quitting tip is to always stick to your guns about not smoking. Don't have a drag or bum one in a moment of weakness. You're a non-smoker now - so no more smoking at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad