OT: OT Lounge (No politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
RIP Alex Trebek. It had tapered off as I got older, but I've watched the Jeopardy relaunch since 1984 which I'm sure many others have as well. We were making an effort to watch it more last year because we knew he may not have much time left.

Wheel of Fortune - Jeopardy at 5 PM was must watch TV at my grandparents house when I was a kid, almost feels like part of the family has died in some way. Fond memories of my grandfather yelling at Jeopardy contestants and calling them stupid for getting a question wrong, even though I have zero recollection of him actually answering anything. He just liked yelling at them.

A true Canadian icon.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
While this is great news by the time the vaccine is fully circulated many more cases and deaths will happen here and around the world, the spike around the world right now is out of control pushing resources to the brink and people needs to continue to stay vigilant and not think that the vaccine is right around the corner.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
While this is great news by the time the vaccine is fully circulated many more cases and deaths will happen here and around the world, the spike around the world right now is out of control pushing resources to the brink and people needs to continue to stay vigilant and not think that the vaccine is right around the corner.
Plus just think how many people will refuse to take the vaccine even if it's 100% safe. This virus is going to be here for a long time unfortunately but i'll be first in line to get the vaccine that's for sure.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Plus just think how many people will refuse to take the vaccine even if it's 100% safe. This virus is going to be here for a long time unfortunately but i'll be first in line to get the vaccine that's for sure.
If the herd immunity threshold is 60% and the vaccine is 90% effective, then vaccinating 67% of the population would be enough. Probably a bit less than 67% in Manitoba because we're headed for 2% infected by the time a vaccine is widely available.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If the herd immunity threshold is 60% and the vaccine is 90% effective, then vaccinating 67% of the population would be enough. Probably a bit less than 67% in Manitoba because we're headed for 2% infected by the time a vaccine is widely available.
Endpoint in the vaccine trials isn't to prevent infection, just lessen symptoms. The idea is that by lessening the severity of the infection, it will lead to fewer severe outcomes within high risk groups, like the flu shot is supposed to do. The only caveat is that the elderly generally don't create as robust an immune response after vaccination as young healthy people.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willia...rials-are-designed-to-succeed/sh=302398635247

Covid-19 vaccine trial protocols released

Reactions: Ginger Papa

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
COVID-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer Inc...

But the vaccine’s complex and super-cold storage requirements are an obstacle for even the most sophisticated hospitals in the United States and may impact when and where it is available in rural areas or poor countries where resources are tight.

The main issue is that the vaccine, which is based on a novel technology that uses synthetic mRNA to activate the immune system against the virus, needs to be kept at minus 70 degrees Celsius (-94 F) or below. “This will be a challenge in all settings because hospitals even in big cities do not have storage facilities for a vaccine at that ultra-low temperature.”

Having a vaccine that is 90% effective is good news... but what's not good is the shipping and storage requirements. This temp. requirement is 50 degrees colder than any other vaccine that man has ever created. Super effective vaccine that might be next to impossible to deliver.... Oh, well...

Last edited:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

But the vaccine’s complex and super-cold storage requirements are an obstacle for even the most sophisticated hospitals in the United States and may impact when and where it is available in rural areas or poor countries where resources are tight.

The main issue is that the vaccine, which is based on a novel technology that uses synthetic mRNA to activate the immune system against the virus, needs to be kept at minus 70 degrees Celsius (-94 F) or below. “This will be a challenge in all settings because hospitals even in big cities do not have storage facilities for a vaccine at that ultra-low temperature.”

Having a vaccine that is 90% effective is good news... but what's not good is the shipping and storage requirements. This temp. requirement is 50 degrees colder than any other vaccine that man has ever created. Super effective vaccine that might be next to impossible to deliver.... Oh, well...
Well as long as we get it here in January or February we can just stockpile the vaccine outside. :laugh: Just a little Covid humor this morning. :DD

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Time to move some investment money into liquid nitrogen. :nod:

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,

One of the Podcasts I listen to when I'm driving to & from work is "The Instigators", based out of Buffalo & hosted by Andrew Peters, Craig Rivet (with Martin Biron/Rob Ray sharing the 3rd chair during the week).

For anyone interested, this morning during their 1st hour they had a nice segment on Ducky, starting at 10:30 minutes in:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-instigators/playlists/podcast/embed?style=cover

The timing for this segment comes as a result of the release of "Remembering Dale Hawerchuk" tonight on Sabres.com & their YT Channel. I'll paste the links in here once available.
Edit:
YT Link

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, photos of the Great Lakes' most famous ship

83a_ef8.jpeg

2dc_fitz12.jpeg

25c_fitz24.jpeg

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
poppy.jpg

Thank you for your sacrifice.

I can’t imagine sending a child off to war and not having them return home. For all those who left and never came home. For all those who left and made it home. For all the families of the soldiers who had to endure the stress and hardships.

I will never really be able to find the words to describe my immense appreciation for the greatest of sacrifices.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well now you can only buy essential products at places like Superstore and Walmart and you can't have anyone over or go over to people's homes. I can't wait for a vaccine and try and get back to some kind of normal, stay safe out there people.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Well now you can only buy essential products at places like Superstore and Walmart and you can't have anyone over or go over to people's homes. I can't wait for a vaccine and try and get back to some kind of normal, stay safe out there people.

Vaccine won't make much difference if half the population chooses not to get it because they've been frightened off by some anti-vax bull shit they read on the Internet. My doctor was telling me the other day that a lot of his patients have already decided to just say no. We could still be in a code red lockdown a year from now.

As for these non-essential product restrictions, it's not going to make a damn bit of difference in the numbers heading out shopping and it's just going to piss people off. Well, the more you make things unavailable for in-person shopping, the more people are going to look for online alternatives. And once they get a taste for how convenient that is, a lot will stick with that even after things open up again. So, if all the "it's not fair" whingers want to have their little cackle of glee at getting their way, go ahead. We'll be having the last laugh when we walk past your locked-up storefronts with the Permanently Closed sign hanging in the window.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Vaccine won't make much difference if half the population chooses not to get it because they've been frightened off by some anti-vax bull shit they read on the Internet. My doctor was telling me the other day that a lot of his patients have already decided to just say no. We could still be in a code red lockdown a year from now.

As for these non-essential product restrictions, it's not going to make a damn bit of difference in the numbers heading out shopping and it's just going to piss people off. Well, the more you make things unavailable for in-person shopping, the more people are going to look for online alternatives. And once they get a taste for how convenient that is, a lot will stick with that even after things open up again. So, if all the "it's not fair" whingers want to have their little cackle of glee at getting their way, go ahead. We'll be having the last laugh when we walk past your locked-up storefronts with the Permanently Closed sign hanging in the window.

Heard Bill Gates and Dr Fauci on a podcast and they agreed the PR war will be big to combat the Anti vaccine crowd.

Does it seem odd that the anti vax crowd are getting to witness their master plan in action of a vaccine free world and how is that going?

I guess if Jenny McCarthy says so it must be true.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Heard Bill Gates and Dr Fauci on a podcast and they agreed the PR war will be big to combat the Anti vaccine crowd.

Does it seem odd that the anti vax crowd are getting to witness their master plan in action of a vaccine free world and how is that going?

Make the vaccine mandatory, its as simple as that.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

This is the most mind-boggling part of it all; the simpletons who imagine a world without vaccines -- this world right now is what we have for the want of *one* vaccine. Imagine if we didn't have our dozen most vital ones?

Every time I read the story of Pompeii and Herculaneum, part of me struggles to understand how people could watch a goddamn volcano in their backyard start to explode and be like "meh, I'll worry about it later". Then I look at what's going around and like.. yeah.

With all honesty, once the vaccine is in place and I and all my loved ones have it? I'm going out for a goddamn road trip to whatever extent the law will allow. I'm not going to wait for the illiterati to have a goddamn epiphany of basic intelligence that's never going to come.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Make the vaccine mandatory, its as simple as that.
Yes this would solve alot of issues but then these people will scream about communism and their freedoms . Steinbach at 40% positivity rate right now. :eek: Wouldn't have anything to do with that no mask rally they had, no, no way. :badidea:

Reactions: RabidOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad