Speculation: OT: Do you think the Tampa Bay Lightning can or will be the next NHL dynasty? (Edit: hahaha, nope)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
you know, this is totally my opinion and well here it is

Fla maybe looking to move their goalie - James Reimer .... i know nothing of TB goalie - Vasi nor do i know anything about Reimer...

so what are your thoughts. or anyone else.

You don’t know anything about arguably the best goalie in the league?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
IMO, the penguins getting swept by the Islanders is more embarrassing.

Columbus clearly loaded up at the trade deadline and was always more built for playoff hockey than regular season hockey, whereas the lighting looked like the opposite much like the 2010 caps. Columbus is all in for this year

The Islanders on the other hand don't have a legit no.1 dman, a first year coach (not in the league but with a new roster implementing a brand new system) and they just lost their best player and Hart caliber player last season.

The penguins are a team that won back to back cups and lost a hard series to the eventual cup winners last year.

They flat out got embarrassed

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
IMO, the penguins getting swept by the Islanders is more embarrassing.

Columbus clearly loaded up at the trade deadline and was always more built for playoff hockey than regular season hockey, whereas the lighting looked like the opposite much like the 2010 caps. Columbus is all in for this year

The Islanders on the other hand don't have a legit no.1 dman, a first year coach (not in the league but with a new roster implementing a brand new system) and they just lost their best player and Hart caliber player last season.

The penguins are a team that won back to back cups and lost a hard series to the eventual cup winners last year.

They flat out got embarrassed

No way. TB getting swept is legendary.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Bye bye.

byebye.gif

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

- Ryan Pulock is very legit. One of the best young defenders in game and certainly a quality #1 at this point
- Upgrading at head coach is a bad thing? And Q took Hawks to the WCF his first year with team so this idea that a new coach/system is some huge issue is odd argument
- Mathew Barzal was Isles best player last year and will be face of franchise. Tavares actually was not very good after the deadline last year down stretch for them and the Isles had plenty of talent left after he left

The TB lightning went 62-16-4 for 128 pts ,,,,,, There is no way to spin a first round sweep at hands of Jackets (30 pts behind them in standings) as somehow not as bad as Pens being swept by a team they finished 1 pt ahead

TB failure this year was historic and will be talked about for decades to come

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Lightning becomes the disappointment all others will be measured against
And for sports fans in Tampa Bay, it was the final chapter in a whole new story of despair. In a way, it was as if an entire community was duped. For six months, the Lightning had you believing you were seeing something historic.

And in the end, it was all choke and mirrors.
No President’s Trophy winner has ever been swept out of the first round of the playoffs, let alone one that tied the NHL’s record for victories. It’s like getting a perfect SAT score and then misspelling your name on a college application.
They looked for all the world like they had a date with destiny.

Yet when their moment arrived, Lightning players did not show up.

Some brutal and bluntness here from TB times

Also the comments are entertaining here

Reactions: ChiHawks10

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
"No President’s Trophy winner has ever been swept out of the first round of the playoffs, let alone one that tied the NHL’s record for victories. It’s like getting a perfect SAT score and then misspelling your name on a college application."

Ouch! This also happened to be the first playoff series win in Blue Jackets history. Double Ouch!

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
A regular season powerhouse who tied NHL win record

I mean, the 2010-2011 Canucks were also a 117 pt team that barely got out of the first round thanks to a game 7 ot winner from burrows and ended up not winning the cup down the line

At some point if you don't have the mental fortitude and right mix of players to fight through four rounds of every style of hockey, doesn't really matter how great of a regular season you have

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The Lightning have been an outstanding team in both the regular season and the playoffs for years. They just haven’t had any luck with injuries in their runs. I still think they’ll win a Cup soon.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Luck with injuries? BS every team is injured during playoffs

And they have had core that has no showed year after year in big moments and a coach who has repeatedly been outcoached

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
That’s complete bullshit. Kucherov has about the same playoff PPG as Kane. Hedman isn’t far off from Keith. Johnson and Stamkos are both pretty good too. They’ve made it to the finals once and the 3rd round twice in the last 5 years. They’ve had core players rendered borderline useless by injury. Any other reason is secondary.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
I mean, the 2010-2011 Canucks were also a 117 pt team that barely got out of the first round thanks to a game 7 ot winner from burrows and ended up not winning the cup down the line

At some point if you don't have the mental fortitude and right mix of players to fight through four rounds of every style of hockey, doesn't really matter how great of a regular season you have

but the key to the Canucks was they did get out of the first round.

2 hockey stats went into the history books last night...Lightning were the first presidents cup team to get SWEPT out of the first round and it also was the first playoff series win in Blue Jackets history. There is no sugarcoatin...Lightning CHOKED.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Luck with injuries? BS every team is injured during playoffs

And they have had core that has no showed year after year in big moments and a coach who has repeatedly been outcoached
Name a team that lost their #1 D pair (and arguably #1Dman in the league) and went on to win the Cup.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Serious? Letang. Or are you gonna degrade him as not a #1
He missed the majority of the season that year, and they had a ton of time to adjust without him and no, I don't really qualify him as a legit #1 like I do Hedman. But fair enough. I guess it helps to have 2 generational players up front to make up for it.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He missed the majority of the season that year, and they had a ton of time to adjust without him and no, I don't really qualify him as a legit #1 like I do Hedman. But fair enough. I guess it helps to have 2 generational players up front to make up for it.
It just hubristic because Tampa fans went on how they had that great talent up front on here. They kept saying there was no room or reason to add anything at the deadline.

There was rumors they wanted Simmons but many fans were flipping out that they shouldnt add at all which was real odd. This was a year I liked they had players locked up but injuries year in and out as an excuse real when you have ample chance to add depth and dont.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It just hubristic because Tampa fans went on how they had that great talent up front on here. They kept saying there was no room or reason to add anything at the deadline.

There was rumors they wanted Simmons but many fans were flipping out that they shouldnt add at all which was real odd. This was a year I liked they had players locked up but injuries year in and out as an excuse real when you have ample chance to add depth and dont.
I wouldn't have wanted Simmonds either. I'm not sure what realistically they could have added that would have made their team much better.

No Hedman, no Stralman, no Kucherov for a game, and apparently Stamkos had a seperated shoulder. Those are major, major losses, and without those two 2 all series, their D is among the worst in the league.

All that said, they need to fire their coach. Hilarious that they just signed him to an extension. Can't get his star players to pick up their game, and can't adjust the way they play to suit the teams they are playing. Their fans are sick of him, yet their GM just gave him a long extension. Hilarious.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

And THIS ^^^ is why some people think Cooper is a smug douche who will never win anything. He sounds like an HF Poster in those quotes.

It’s a coaches job to scheme but also to make sure his players have the right focus and drive to do what’s needed to win. This sweep is on Cooper as much as it’s on anything else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad