Oshawa Generals 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Don't get me wrong I want a season but look what's happening now early stages of the second wave, the border is not open, the Q 18 plus players tested positive for covid, OHL no plan for return just return to play dates.
I guess you can dream.
The ohl definitely has a plan for return, they just haven’t announced it to the public

Reactions: The Little General

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Any thoughts on this years lines? Any surprises, prospects making the team?

As of right now it would be something like:
F Lines:
Suni-Tomasino-Tullio
Harrison-McShane(OA)-Fowler
Stepien-Gagnier-McKinney
Winterton-Michaud-McSorley
Others: Castle (unsigned), Way, Drouin

D Pairings:
Ennis or Vallati(OA)-Brewer
Moore-Mudrak
Jesus-Pitt
Others: Whittaker

G:
Kooy(OA)
Paputsakis
Others: Sbrocca, Polidori

Having said that, if there is an OHL season, the Gens will be adding considerably to this roster. I'd expect a top 4 D, a top 6 F and 1-2 bottom 6 F's at minimum

Reactions: waitin425

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Jake Richard has 21 goals in 9 games so far this year. He also has more than double the amount of points as the person in 2nd place in the league

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I’m trying to get the obsession. It’s like they wake up in the morning and google his name to see. Things are so up in the air I’d be happy if there is even a season.

Yeah it's getting to be a little weird. Especially when it's things that really have absolutely no impact on his status with the Gens (meanwhile Nashville literally just signed a forward to a contract today, but that doesn't get posted in here, what a coincidence...). He's their first round pick from 2 years ago so yeah, he will probably very likely play an NHL game this year, maybe even up to 9. Breaking news, he will be wearing a jersey for those games......

Didn't the Leafs just announce all their new players' numbers and gave Aaron Dell one? I'd still advise people to not go drafting him in the 1st round of your fantasy leagues because he won't actually be on the team over Freddie and Jack Campbell lol...

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Yeah it's getting to be a little weird. Especially when it's things that really have absolutely no impact on his status with the Gens (meanwhile Nashville literally just signed a forward to a contract today, but that doesn't get posted in here, what a coincidence...). He's their first round pick from 2 years ago so yeah, he will probably very likely play an NHL game this year, maybe even up to 9. Breaking news, he will be wearing a jersey for those games......

Didn't the Leafs just announce all their new players' numbers and gave Aaron Dell one? I'd still advise people to not go drafting him in the 1st round of your fantasy leagues because he won't actually be on the team over Freddie and Jack Campbell lol...
Nashville needs to promote to their fans right now after what their fans would say a disappointing season. Of course they promote first round picks. He’s their future. If he sticks then good on him he deserves it. I personally don’t think he’s there yet to play a full season with guys way stronger. He gets knocked off the puck way to easy by guys smaller then him in junior. I think bigger stronger NHL players can easily contain him. Again he may have made strides and of course they are going to say we want him in the lineup. What are they saying to fans of they say “Ya that Tomasino kid has no chance “. Of course he has a chance! Anyways I’m just perplexed by the obsession and what lengths you go through to find an article about a kid who doesn’t even play for your team.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Nashville needs to promote to their fans right now after what their fans would say a disappointing season. Of course they promote first round picks. He’s their future. If he sticks then good on him he deserves it. I personally don’t think he’s there yet to play a full season with guys way stronger. He gets knocked off the puck way to easy by guys smaller then him in junior. I think bigger stronger NHL players can easily contain him. Again he may have made strides and of course they are going to say we want him in the lineup. What are they saying to fans of they say “Ya that Tomasino kid has no chance “. Of course he has a chance! Anyways I’m just perplexed by the obsession and what lengths you go through to find an article about a kid who doesn’t even play for your team.

Right. Tomasino to Nashville is similar to what Jake Richard is for the Gens. Is it possible that Jake Richard comes in and has a great camp and makes the team? Sure.

Is it also possible/likely that Richard isn't ready to play for the Gens yet and needs another season before he's ready to make the jump? Yes.

Would Roger Hunt ever go out and say oh our 2nd pick? Yeah he sucks he has no chance up here.... Of course not he's going to pump his tires every chance he gets so the fans get excited, Richard gets confidence and if nothing else it makes it look like he made a good draft pick.

Poile isn't an idiot, he knows he's underperformed for several seasons in a row and needs to put a team on the ice that can win now, while also showing the fan base "look how good my drafts have been lately, our future is very bright"

Reactions: Nerf27

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Tomasino named to Canada's World Junior tryout camp roster which takes place from Nov 17 to Dec 13 with only 3 days off in that month span. Be huge for Phil who hasn't played a game since March 8th. 27 times a Gens player has made Canada in the past with 20 of them winning a medal

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If they do make a limit to how many guys can attend training camp, here are some options to what it could look like

2017 Draft (2001's):
1st- Mitchell Brewer

2nd- Nick Wong (traded for Neumann)
4th- Eric Lalonde (OJHL last year, could be at camp vying for the 6th D spot)
5th- Ty Gilberds
5th- Zach Paputsakis
7th- Adam Jeffrey (Back to back good years in the GOJHL, signed to go to the BCHL this year)
8th- Cole Spencer
9th- John Farinacci (Harvard)

10th- Eric McAndrew (OJHL the last 2 years)
10th- Owen Lindmark (Wisconsin)
11th- Tye McSorley
12th- Alex Aslanidis (Western Michigan)
14th- Lucas Thompson (OJHL last year)
15th- Zach Russell

U18 1st- Brendan Bays (went to QMJHL)
U18 2nd- Adam Grein (OJHL)

2018 Draft (2002's):
1st- Tyler Tullio

2nd- Dylan Robinson (traded)
3rd- Ryan Gagnier
3rd- David Gucciardi (traded for Tomasino)
4th- Dawson McKinney
6th- Declan Carlile (Merrimack)
6th- Matt DeBoer (Holy Cross)

7th- Matt Sbrocca
9th- Hunter Brazier (CCHL)
10th- Ayden Dooley (OJHL)
11th- Isaac Novak (Wisconsin)
12th- David Jesus
13th- Patrick Guzzo (Ohio State)
14th- Owen McGowan (OJHL)
15th- Taylor Barnett (OJHL)

U18 1st- Ryan Polidori
U18 2nd- Alan Njima (NOJHL)

2019 Draft (2003's):
1st- Brett Harrison
2nd- Daniel Michaud
4th- Cooper Way
6th- Owen Brady
7th- Riley Pitt
8th- Patrick Leaver

10th- Austen May (USHL ->Providence)
11th- Matt Shoss (OJHL)
12th- Alex Laszlo (GOJHL)
13th- Kobe Tallman (CCHL)
14th- Skate Skalde (US Prep)
15th- Chris Bertucci (OJHL)

U18 1st- Andrew Whitton
U18 2nd- Sebastian Resar
U18 3rd- Gabriel Piccolo

2020 Draft (2004's):
1st- Aidan Castle
6th- Jake Richard

7th- Blake Smith
7th- Christian Kocsis (USHL)
8th- Brayden Bowen
9th- Ethan Best
10th- Ryan O'Dell
11th- Luke Torrence
12th- Callum Arnott
13th- James Taylor
14th- Adam Ricci
15th- Logan Cuvo
15th- Jake Anderson

CAMP SPOTS:
1- Jordan Kooy G
2- Zach Paputsakis G
3- Matt Sbrocca G
4- Ryan Polidori G
5- Mitchell Brewer D
6- David Mudrak D
7- Giovanni Vallati D
8- David Jesus D
9- Lleyton Moore D
10- Will Ennis D
11- Riley Pitt D
12- Liam Whittaker D
13- Owen Brady D
14- Blake Smith D
15- Brett Harrison F
16- Hayden Fowler F
17- Oliver Suni F
18- Ryan Gagnier F
19- Dawson McKinney F
20- Allan McShane F
21- Tye McSorley F
22- Daniel Michaud F
23- Ryan Stepien F
24- Tyler Tullio F
25- Jacob Winterton F
26- Cooper Way F
27- Jake Richard F
28- Aidan Castle F
29- Andrew Whitton F
30- Luke Torrence F

Other:
Phil Tomasino F (at NHL camp/playing his 9 games with Nashville)

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Given the recent news that Kitchener will suspend all season tickets for the year, is this a terrible sign of things to come?
Screenshot_20201111-001958_Twitter.jpg

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Given the recent news that Kitchener will suspend all season tickets for the year, is this a terrible sign of things to come?View attachment 376031

Don't think this really affects anything at all. It's going to be a shortened season so rather than going individual with each season ticket holder and figuring out the rates and whether they want to come this season with masks/things in place, they just make it so it goes to the next year but season ticket holders still get first shot at tickets if they want to come this season.

Almost every team seems to be doing some variation of this

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Don't think this really affects anything at all. It's going to be a shortened season so rather than going individual with each season ticket holder and figuring out the rates and whether they want to come this season with masks/things in place, they just make it so it goes to the next year but season ticket holders still get first shot at tickets if they want to come this season.

Almost every team seems to be doing some variation of this
I just haven't heard anyword from the Generals organization yet, they still have my money for a full season this year.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I just haven't heard anyword from the Generals organization yet, they still have my money for a full season this year.

They sent an email out about a month ago to all season ticket holders offering them their money back in full or having the ability to keep the credit for the tickets and either using them for this season if there is one, or having them carry over to 2021-2022 if this season doesn't end up happening.

I just kept mine so they will be used either this season or carried over to next year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Nice interview here with Tomasino, really heaps praise on the Oshawa organization.

A lot of credit to Niagara, they did so much for me, but to be on an Oshawa team, a first-class organization like that, was just an incredible experience and I really reached that next level with Oshawa.

TSN: Tomasino on advice from Ellis, studying Barzal and bringing 'everything' to Team Canada.
Tomasino on advice from Ellis, studying Barzal and bringing 'everything' to Team Canada - TSN.ca

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Nice interview here with Tomasino, really heaps praise on the Oshawa organization.

TSN: Tomasino on advice from Ellis, studying Barzal and bringing 'everything' to Team Canada.
Tomasino on advice from Ellis, studying Barzal and bringing 'everything' to Team Canada - TSN.ca
Seems like him having a prior relationship with Rocco (from coaching him at the WSI U15 selects tourny) really helped. Michael Vukojevic and Ethan Keppen were also on that team.... Would love to see one or both end up on the Gens

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Given up on getting Perfetti?
They went and added Suzuki last year then drafted a 1 year guy in Grewe so that suggests they think this year is their go for it year. I think McMichael is much more likely to be traded than Perfetti, if he’s not on the Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad