Oshawa Generals 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Interesting scenarios re: Nashville.

Any idea who was the last player before Cirelli to win a M Cup as a Genee and a Stanley Cup?

Nobody from the 2015 team other than him.

1990 team?

40s teams?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Interesting scenarios re: Nashville.

Any idea who was the last player before Cirelli to win a M Cup as a Genee and a Stanley Cup?

Nobody from the 2015 team other than him.

1990 team?

40s teams?

Nobody from the 1990 team won a Stanley Cup

Cory Banika won an AHL championship. Iain Fraser won a World Championship. Lindros won Olympic gold, an MVP award and the Lindsay. But no cups

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Also should be noted that the only centre spot open is the 4th line as Johansen, Duchene and Bonino are 1C/2C/3C (and the Nashville fan above has Sissons as their 4C) . If Tomasino makes the team it’d likely be as the 2nd or 3rd line winger. So he is competing with Trenin. Tomasino isn’t playing 4C. Which is another reason I think he’s back. You don’t want your top prospect becoming a winger just to fit your lineup. Let him play 22+ minutes a night in Jr playing 1st line, PP and PK and let him play a big role in the world juniors, which he’s never even got a sniff at before
The need to address the Salary Cap for NHL Teams makes it necessary for them to blend in entry level contracts a lot more so now a days then in the past. Nic Robertson IMO doesn’t even get a mention in Toronto if they didn’t have the Cap challenges they have. He is for sure a kid with talent but IMO is far from ready to play in the NHL.

Boy if Tomasino sticks in the NHL, well don’t need to say it ........ I’m sure there are a few General‘s hockey executives not sleeping quite as well as they would like?

Good Luck

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The need to address the Salary Cap for NHL Teams makes it necessary for them to blend in entry level contracts a lot more so now a days then in the past. Nic Robertson IMO doesn’t even get a mention in Toronto if they didn’t have the Cap challenges they have. He is for sure a kid with talent but IMO is far from ready to play in the NHL.

Boy if Tomasino sticks in the NHL, well don’t need to say it ........ I’m sure there are a few General‘s hockey executives not sleeping quite as well as they would like?

Good Luck

the same publication who made the “Turris will be bought out and replace by Tomasino” article also released one yesterday about how they are a team who should make a run at signing Taylor Hall because they can make it work under their cap lol. They have over 13 million in cap space after they buy out Turris. They’re not in a cap struggle like the Leafs are

Nashville fans we’re summarizing Tomasino might be in the lineup because they want to get younger, not because they need the cap relief like the leafs do with Robertson.

I agree with you that without a cap struggle, neither Tomasino or Robertson would likely be in the nhl next year. Luckily for the Gens, Nashville isn’t in one.

but who knows, he could go and absolutely dominate in camp and make the team. But barring an unreal camp, I’d assume he’d be back (maybe after 8 games). We’ll see I guess

Last edited:
Reactions: Buttsy

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Also should be noted that the only centre spot open is the 4th line as Johansen, Duchene and Bonino are 1C/2C/3C (and the Nashville fan above has Sissons as their 4C) . If Tomasino makes the team it’d likely be as the 2nd or 3rd line winger. So he is competing with Trenin. Tomasino isn’t playing 4C. Which is another reason I think he’s back. You don’t want your top prospect becoming a winger just to fit your lineup. Let him play 22+ minutes a night in Jr playing 1st line, PP and PK and let him play a big role in the world juniors, which he’s never even got a sniff at before

I don't think that's necessarily going to be the case in Nashville. Duchene didn't play centre for the Predators last year, he played the wing.

I think they will decide what's best for Tomasimo after they see him play in training camp and his 9 games. I doubt any decision have been made, but they are clearly considering both options.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens are projected as the top team in the ohl in the pre-season rankings :nod:. That certainly won’t hurt for the selection committee to see

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
the same publication who made the “Turris will be bought out and replace by Tomasino” article also released one yesterday about how they are a team who should make a run at signing Taylor Hall because they can make it work under their cap lol. They have over 13 million in cap space after they buy out Turris. They’re not in a cap struggle like the Leafs are

Nashville fans we’re summarizing Tomasino might be in the lineup because they want to get younger, not because they need the cap relief like the leafs do with Robertson.

I agree with you that without a cap struggle, neither Tomasino or Robertson would likely be in the nhl next year. Luckily for the Gens, Nashville isn’t in one.

but who knows, he could go and absolutely dominate in camp and make the team. But barring an unreal camp, I’d assume he’d be back (maybe after 8 games). We’ll see I guess
Being a Knights Fan I will caution been burned a few times on players not making it back. It’s great to see them move up and realize a dream though and in the end that’s what OHL Clubs are all about. I can’t see Tomasino sticking but right now who knows we are in a really weird place. Even without him the Generals have to be favoured to be an OHL champion contender. Like I say Good Luck .....

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Being a Knights Fan I will caution been burned a few times on players not making it back. It’s great to see them move up and realize a dream though and in the end that’s what OHL Clubs are all about. I can’t see Tomasino sticking but right now who knows we are in a really weird place. Even without him the Generals have to be favoured to be an OHL champion contender. Like I say Good Luck .....

Yeah London is in a similar spot right now where if McMichael has a good camp he could be on Washington next year (same with Harley in Dallas). Loved McMichael’s game since major bantam so hoping he gets sent back then traded to the Gens at the deadline... lol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Nashville trades Bonino (32 year old centre) for Kunin (22 year old centre).

They save around 3 million in cap space with this move and get younger while still getting back an NHL centre with much higher upside than Bonino. Bonino only had 4 more points in 4 more games last year.

#TomasinoWatch

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

#TomasinoWatch

That has been known for over a month now. You're a bit late my dude.

Been a good day for the Tomasino to the Gens stock today (if there's an OHL season). NSH wants to get younger and wants to get some more cap space. And they did both by trading Bonino for Kunin. And it doesn't even open a centre spot either. Add in the Turris buyout and there's even more cap space and their top 3 C spots are still already taken in Johansen, Duchene, Kunin

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Not entirely accurate. It has been speculated for over a month. Chris Johnson has now confirmed it. New news. Hence reporting it.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Not entirely accurate. It has been speculated for over a month. Chris Johnson has now confirmed it. New news. Hence reporting it.

Lol you making a post in the Gens thread about literally anything Nashville does to try to troll Gens fans saying Tomasino won't be back is in absolutely no way you "reporting" anything.

If someone is constantly monitoring this thread, that means they're a big Gens/hockey fan. They follow the same people you do on twitter.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I come here to post both the positive and negative items that impact Oshawa. Someone always beats me to post the positive articles - those always get posted before I even see them, but for some reason I always seem to be the first one to break anything negative on here. You want to twist that to being me trolling gens fans?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I come here to post both the positive and negative items that impact Oshawa. Someone always beats me to post the positive articles - those always get posted before I even see them, but for some reason I always seem to be the first one to break anything negative on here. You want to twist that to being me trolling gens fans?

Again, please stop staying your "breaking" news. You're not "breaking" anything lol. You're just taking someones tweet and positing it on here being like THIS MEANS TOMASINO IS GONE!!! when that has never once been what it means.

If this thread was called
"Nashville Predators 2020 Offseason Thread"

Then your posts would make sense, but that's not what its called lol.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Forgive me for doing exactly what you do.
That was in response to someone saying I wonder what Caufield is going to do. You're not responding to someone asking a question. If you were, your posts would make sense.

Also the fact that you had to reach to a post that was posted 7 months ago, just proves my point that it's not something that I do (or that anyone else seems to do) lol.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Can't believe Tullio fell all the way to 2nd pick in round 5 but NHL GMs still havent gotten over their love for size I guess. Can't even imagine how much Tullio is going to come out with something to prove next year (assuming there is a next year)

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I can't believe Suni didn't get drafted. 6'2 and can fly doesn't grow on trees.

Started his OHL career with 23 points in 26 games and was 3rd in OHL rookie scoring before getting hurt. Still finished 12th in rookie scoring at the end of the year despite missing a full month. I don't get that at all.

For Moore I thought someone would've taken a shot on him because the skating is so good. But I am not shocked he didn't get drafted because his shot needs to improve to get him to that next level.

I like the thought of a pissed off Tullio, Suni and Moore out show people they were wrong about them though. Although the latest news today from the Ontario's Minister of Sport doesn't exactly make you feel encouraged that there will be a season...

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I can't believe Suni didn't get drafted. 6'2 and can fly doesn't grow on trees.

Started his OHL career with 23 points in 26 games and was 3rd in OHL rookie scoring before getting hurt. Still finished 12th in rookie scoring at the end of the year despite missing a full month. I don't get that at all.

For Moore I thought someone would've taken a shot on him because the skating is so good. But I am not shocked he didn't get drafted because his shot needs to improve to get him to that next level.

I like the thought of a pissed off Tullio, Suni and Moore out show people they were wrong about them though. Although the latest news today from the Ontario's Minister of Sport doesn't exactly make you feel encouraged that there will be a season...
Cuz Suni is just so slow like the rest of the Generals and Tomasino is not coming back. And the whole city has the most Covid cases in the world. No Mem Cup for you.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Interested to see how the draft would play out next season if the OHL doesn’t run. How do 2nd year eligible guys make a case for themselves? Surely a season without a significant shoulder injury and world junior experience would get Suni noticed more. I guess Suni could also go back overseas to play. Moore would be stuck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->