Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
The third period last night was Generals hockey. They kept coming at Hamilton and finally broke through.

Neumann has been outstanding to watch this year.

The schedule gets tougher in the next couple weeks so it will be interesting to see how the team plays against some of those teams.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Did I miss something this season or last with Staios? Fans were booing him when he touched the puck and Tullio seemed be talking with him a lot after whistles.
when the Antropov fight was happening Staios jumped in, when things settled down and Staios went to the bench fans started chirping him and he returned the chirping back that's when the booing started every time he touch the puck.

Chipmunk

Sep 20, 2019
With all the talent on the team this year being on the "first line" becomes somewhat of a mute point. It's Walter's job to find the combinations where everyone fits and contributes the most. Challenge each line to be number "1" based on effort and results then reward them with more ice time. Last night Noel, Harrison and Winterton worked very hard and are starting to develop chemistry. That was by far Noel's best game of the season and in my opinion he was even guilty at times of trying too hard. Well done! Keep up that kind of effort and we may be talking about our "new" top line soon!

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Noel with the effort that we’ve been waiting for. Now let’s hope it’s consistent. That’s the challenge.
Neumann and MacLean are a treat to watch as they are the hardest workers on this team consistently.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Well done Generlasupdates but I'll bet you could have been 1/1 even picking Mutter as his dance partner. lol

I literally had “McSorley will fight mutter”, and then took out the Mutter part before sending it lol. Should’ve sticked to my guns:laugh:

Reactions: Chipmunk

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Brock Otten did his "top 50 OHL draft prospects"
Suni @ 9
Tullio @ 14
Moore @ 23

Dylan Robinson, who the Gens traded to OTT for 2nd+2nd+3rd, was not on the list of his top 60 2002 born players

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
:popcorn::popcorn:
#OHL The Oshawa #Generals have both Serron Noel & Danil Antropov up for trade at the moment
Noel obviously the bigger name of the two, was drafted 34th Overall in 2018 by the #FlaPanthers #NHL

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
#OHL The Oshawa #Generals have both Serron Noel & Danil Antropov up for trade at the moment
Noel obviously the bigger name of the two, was drafted 34th Overall in 2018 by the #FlaPanthers #NHL

Reactions: The Little General

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Before you get all excited, look at the word choice lol.

This is just Hunt gauging the market, which literally every single GM is doing right now. If someone is willing to drastically overpay, you need to know that.

I would argue that around this time, every single player in the league is "up for trade" if a team is willing to overpay. He didn't say they're being shopped, he said "up for trade". If SAG offered SBY Perfetti+Wilde+Lennox+5 2nds for Byfield, Sudbury would take that I'm sure. So in theory that means Quinton Byfield is "up for trade".... Now will he ever get traded? No.

If a GM who is looking at next year isn't phoning around saying hey what would you give for this player? He's not doing his job. Same as a GM who's going for it this year asking hey what would it cost me to get this guy? You need to know what guys are worth and what guys cost going into the deadline

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Seems to me like he is doing slightly more than gauging the market no?

By isolating two players on the roster, Gens are effectively telling them that despite their value (one far more than the other), they are expendable. This to me explains why #18 has been out for a twirl on most shifts this year. If you recall, he was on fire and scored 2 goals immediately after his suspension, then decided to turn the engine off, likely because word they were shopping him was leaked. To me its the only explanation for his recent play. Now he seems to finally be turning it on re: World Jr invite and perhaps a call from Lauderdale to wake up.

As for #90, he is starting to shows signs of becoming a better player. His style however does not translate well into becoming a break out player next year. Skating just isnt there and his other attributes are not exceptional. Strange that they would say he is up for trade but yet still named Assistant Capt. I feel more for him than #18, who will move on to the AHL next year, whereas #90 will play as an OA somewhere, just not Oshawa.

As for next year, seems like Ennis & McShane would be two good internal OAs to keep.

Gens making it abundantly clear they are bidding for 2021 M Cup with today's post, which if is the case, why not move #13 and #15, whose value would be high..... I sure hope they do not. Really enjoy watching those two play and work their tails off out there.

Reactions: Uncle

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Any ideas on why Generals are selling, at 11-2?

They're not. People are misreading OHL insiders word choice as if those guys are being shopped, but they're not. Just Hunt answering calls on them, like I'm sure all 20 GMs are doing right now

Last edited:
Reactions: Attackfan72

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Seems to me like he is doing slightly more than gauging the market no?

By isolating two players on the roster, Gens are effectively telling them that despite their value (one far more than the other), they are expendable. This to me explains why #18 has been out for a twirl on most shifts this year. If you recall, he was on fire and scored 2 goals immediately after his suspension, then decided to turn the engine off, likely because word they were shopping him was leaked. To me its the only explanation for his recent play. Now he seems to finally be turning it on re: World Jr invite and perhaps a call from Lauderdale to wake up.

As for #90, he is starting to shows signs of becoming a better player. His style however does not translate well into becoming a break out player next year. Skating just isnt there and his other attributes are not exceptional. Strange that they would say he is up for trade but yet still named Assistant Capt. I feel more for him than #18, who will move on to the AHL next year, whereas #90 will play as an OA somewhere, just not Oshawa.

As for next year, seems like Ennis & McShane would be two good internal OAs to keep.

Gens making it abundantly clear they are bidding for 2021 M Cup with today's post, which if is the case, why not move #13 and #15, whose value would be high..... I sure hope they do not. Really enjoy watching those two play and work their tails off out there.

You're acting as if Roger Hunt is the one who texted OHLinsiders to tweet that. I can assure you, he did not. Much more likely is that another GM, or even more likely another low level scout, texted him that they heard those 2 are available. Again, that doesn't mean Hunt is shopping them. A good GM will listen to any offer because some of these GMs are idiots and are willing to pay way too much. Using my Byfield example from my last post, there's a price for every player in the league, so in theory that means every player is "available for trade".

If a Noel trade did happen, it wouldn't happen until the deadline, so it is nothing more than gauging interest. That's also not something you'd ever tell the player. So Noel having 3 bad games (prior to last game) wouldn't have been because Hunt answered his phone if another GM called

McShane can still be signed by Montreal and be gone next year, and that is probably more likely to happen than him getting sent back next year. Montreal has until June 1st, 2020 to sign McShane. They also need to decide if they're going to sign Cam Hillis (Guelph), Cole Fonstad (Everett, WHL), and Samuel Houde (Chicoutimi, QMJHL) by that same day. So those 4 are fightings for the same contracts.
Houde: 23 points in 15 games
Fonstad: 15 points in 12 games
Hillis: 17 points in 13 games
McShane: 16 points in 14 games

Giovanni Vallati is in the same position with the Jets too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatanathol

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
They're not. People are misreading OHL insiders word choice as if those guys are being shopped, but they're not. Just Hunt answering calls on them, like I'm sure all 20 GMs are doing right now
I realize that. But 9 times out of 10, when the insiders say that, the guy gets moved. Oshawa has a great team, and a chance to host next year. Go for it!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I realize that. But 9 times out of 10, when the insiders say that, the guy gets moved. Oshawa has a great team, and a chance to host next year. Go for it!

Don't think that's true. There are several teams he seems to nail all the time (NIA/LDN etc) but Oshawa is not one of those teams. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely the best at breaking news in the OHL, but he runs around 50-60% success rate outside of LDN/NIA. Oshawa alone in the last couple years he got wrong that it was MDC for Evan Bouchard (it was MDC to KGN instead) that it was Cirelli for Lodnia (it was Cirelli for McShane) that Taylor Raddysh would be going to the Gens That Zach Magwood was getting traded to the Gens that Tomasino was going to the Gens last offseason, that the Gens had a pre-draft trade with SAG agreed upon that would send Perfetti to OSH in the off-season he was drafted, that the Gens were going to trade for Popovich, that the Gens were going to trade for Purboo, etc.

I don't think his tweet is wrong, he didn't say Noel or Antropov are going to be moved this week. I just think people are overvaluing what "up for trade at the moment" means and don't realize how many players in the OHL that would apply to

Last edited:
Reactions: Attackfan72

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I love how one statement about two players that have not being playing super well gets put up and all of a sudden Oshawa is selling. It’s 13 games in. Everybody on every team could be up for trade except a few i.e. Byfield. Let’s pump the brakes on this one.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I love how one statement about two players that have not being playing super well gets put up and all of a sudden Oshawa is selling. It’s 13 games in. Everybody on every team could be up for trade except a few i.e. Byfield. Let’s pump the brakes on this one.

I swear OHLinsiders is reading certain fans comments on here and knew the 2 players he could say to make them go wild.... hahahaha. Now he sits back like the joker and watches the world burn

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Everybody knew Noel would be trade bait. Not a shock.
Antropov is off to decent start so his name goes in the pot too. Could add a couple more but that would look like a huge sell off. Dropping those names out will give Hunt the ability to see how many teams would look to go for it this year. Than he can gage if the Gens can simply add a couple to make a good run themselves.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Everybody knew Noel would be trade bait. Not a shock.
Antropov is off to decent start so his name goes in the pot too. Could add a couple more but that would look like a huge sell off. Dropping those names out will give Hunt the ability to see how many teams would look to go for it this year. Than he can gage if the Gens can simply add a couple to make a good run themselves.

Right. I still don’t think Antropov moves, but if he does, that means the Gens are bringing in a better 2000 and they need an OA spot for next year so they’re maximizing an Antropov return. That would still be good news for both this year and next year’s team

Reactions: Whatanathol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad