Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
A long time fan win or lose, I thought we had a good chance of doing some damage this season and after the last two games I don't know if we can yeah we are missing 4 players yada yada but Friday's game we looked like cup champs & the last two cumps. Only a few players play consistently others play when they want to. On the fence weather to buy or sell, guess will find out January 10th.

How can you just say "yeah we are missing 4 players yada yada" and just dismiss that like it's nothing? No matter who the Gens are playing, the most important player on the ice is Kyle Keyser almost every night, he's that good. Also missing one of the best 2-way players in the entire league and also their top defenceman. To judge the Gens on the games without those guys is just impossible.

To me last night was a positive. Nobody was expecting to win that game (look at the predictions on here, not one person picked the Gens). But they were able to get 5 goals and were constantly battling back the whole game, Hughes just never could make that big save for them

Last edited:

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I too am on the fence but leaning toward not going for it. Salinitri has been a nice addition but to add a Brazeau, Suzuki or Saigeon would break the bank of 2nds and the few 3rds we have left. Sooo...we trade Keyser, Studnicka and Brassard. Eggenberger wouldn't get you much (import!) so keep him. That would leave the defence basically intact for next year and a fistful of draft picks to rebuild and go after a high end tender like Sudbury did in the Import Draft..

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I too am on the fence but leaning toward not going for it. Salinitri has been a nice addition but to add a Brazeau, Suzuki or Saigeon would break the bank of 2nds and the few 3rds we have left. Sooo...we trade Keyser, Studnicka and Brassard. Eggenberger wouldn't get you much (import!) so keep him. That would leave the defence basically intact for next year and a fistful of draft picks to rebuild and go after a high end tender like Sudbury did in the Import Draft..

Hunt isn't going to trade Studnicka and Keyser

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Keep in mind the last time the Gens were in this exact position, they stayed pat and let Scott Laughton and Daniel Altshuller walk. Everyone said you can’t lose your future NHLer captain and goalie for nothing or you’re screwed next year but Hunt decided he’d rather just add minimally (he got OA Dylan Smoskowitz) and get the 2 rounds of playoff experience for the team because he already had a ton of draft picks going forward. The next season they went all-in and won the Memorial Cup

Is this not nearly the exact same situation?

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Keep in mind the last time the Gens were in this exact position, they stayed pat and let Scott Laughton and Daniel Altshuller walk. Everyone said you can’t lose your future NHLer captain and goalie for nothing or you’re screwed next year but Hunt decided he’d rather just add minimally (he got OA Dylan Smoskowitz) and get the 2 rounds of playoff experience for the team because he already had a ton of draft picks going forward. The next season they went all-in and won the Memorial Cup

Agree 100% with this. Also every one is making it sound like it’s so simple to trade Studnika Keyser Brassard etc. You have to have a dance partner and there seem to be limited partners this year. Not every year is a go all out sell and or a go all in buy. This is a business and 2 rounds mean a lot to a team. I’m a STH and I want to see good hockey. Do I want them to win? Yes. But I understand they don’t and won’t win the cup every couple years. Look how long it took them between cups last time. Competitive hockey is still good hockey.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
In brief ...... no

This team is nothing like 2014 team.

The core from 2014 that moved to 2015 is better than the core this year that will move forward to 2019-20
I think it's a lotttt more similar than you realize (in comparison to this time in 2014, looking ahead to 2015)

The trade deadline before the 2015 season, the guys returning looked like:
Dal Colle-Sterk-Manchurek
Latour-Cassels-Smith
Busch-Harding-Huether
McDade-Wallace-Dundas

Carlisle-Brown
Vande Sompel-Desrocher
Petschenig-Templeton

That seems pretty similar to what we're going into next year with at this point, no? We'll have the top end F's in Noel, McShane, Antropov. Kyle MacLean is the closest thing we've had to Cole Cassels since Cole Cassels. The defence that year was all returning and that was a huge asset, that's the same for next year. Those 3rd and 4th lines were really bad going into the 2015 season, but Hunt added Lindberg in the draft, added Cirelli as a free agent, traded for Mistele/Pedersen/McCarron at the deadline. He could easily do that next year too with the 10 2nd round picks and could trade his rookie 1st rounder too

Reactions: Nerf27

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I think it's a lotttt more similar than you realize (in comparison to this time in 2014, looking ahead to 2015)

The trade deadline before the 2015 season, the guys returning looked like:
Dal Colle-Sterk-Manchurek
Latour-Cassels-Smith
Busch-Harding-Huether
McDade-Wallace-Dundas

Carlisle-Brown
Vande Sompel-Desrocher
Petschenig-Templeton

That seems pretty similar to what we're going into next year with at this point, no? We'll have the top end F's in Noel, McShane, Antropov. Kyle MacLean is the closest thing we've had to Cole Cassels since Cole Cassels. The defence that year was all returning and that was a huge asset, that's the same for next year. Those 3rd and 4th lines were really bad going into the 2015 season, but Hunt added Lindberg in the draft, added Cirelli as a free agent, traded for Mistele/Pedersen/McCarron at the deadline. He could easily do that next year too with the 10 2nd round picks and could trade his rookie 1st rounder too
Yes and McShane is getting better each game if he stays healthy. Same with Antopov and both will be better next year. Imagine what a summer of weight training and skating will do to Noel. Brewer is a machine. Tullio will be better. Darkhorse for me is Robinson is going to be very good once he finds his offensive game. He’s already pretty reliable defensively and kills penalties as a 16 year old. I like next years lineup save for a tender at this point.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yes and McShane is getting better each game if he stays healthy. Same with Antopov and both will be better next year. Imagine what a summer of weight training and skating will do to Noel. Brewer is a machine. Tullio will be better. Darkhorse for me is Robinson is going to be very good once he finds his offensive game. He’s already pretty reliable defensively and kills penalties as a 16 year old. I like next years lineup save for a tender at this point.

Agree with you 100%. I don't want people to get the wrong impression and act like I'm saying because next years roster could be similar to 2015's at the same point in time, that means I'm saying next year the Gens will win the Mem Cup, because I'm for sure not. Just that the potential to go into next year with a pretty good roster and then having a ton of assets to trade and make it better is there. From there then anything can happen

And we still have this deadline too. What if Hunt goes and gets a couple of non-rentals in Neumann and Brahaney or something. Then next year's roster is looking even better than it does now

Reactions: Nerf27

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
And we still have this deadline too. What if Hunt goes and gets a couple of non-rentals in Neumann and Brahaney or something. Then next year's roster is looking even better than it does now
you can't say that the Gens will look better team next season. it's going to be hard to replace Keyser,Studnicka and Eggenberger as they will be OA's and not a sure thing to return as it's not in the Generals control, Eggenberger hasn't been drafted yet and I'm sure he will be drafted this coming draft so who replace those shoes? not anyone currently. I'm coming off my fence to say we have to give it a shot this season because the potential loss of Keyser,Studnicka and Eggenberger going to hurt us next couple of season to recoup. and if Keyser,Studnicka and Eggenberger come back we will look good next season if not good OA trade bait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lycanthrope

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
you can't say that the Gens will look better team next season. it's going to be hard to replace Keyser,Studnicka and Eggenberger as they will be OA's and not a sure thing to return as it's not in the Generals control, Eggenberger hasn't been drafted yet and I'm sure he will be drafted this coming draft so who replace those shoes? not anyone currently. I'm coming off my fence to say we have to give it a shot this season because the potential loss of Keyser,Studnicka and Eggenberger going to hurt us next couple of season to recoup. and if Keyser,Studnicka and Eggenberger come back we will look good next season if not good OA trade bait.

First of all, there's a 0.0% chance that Keyser or Studnicka are back next year, so we can end that right there.

But 2nd of all, that's why you go for the 2 year window. Add with cheap rentals or more expensive non-rentals this year and see how far this team can take you, but don't empty the draft cupboard because next year you still have a good returning roster and you should have a ton of picks left to turn a good roster into a great roster, like Hunt did in 2015

And if passed actions are an indicator of future actions, that is more likely to be Hunt's gameplan going into this deadline

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
This is why I think Hunt will add 1F. Probably a solid 2000 with potential that will be in the mix next year as well.
All told this is a solid team with nice parts that can have a good run

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
First of all, there's a 0.0% chance that Keyser or Studnicka are back next year, so we can end that right there.

But 2nd of all, that's why you go for the 2 year window. Add with cheap rentals or more expensive non-rentals this year and see how far this team can take you, but don't empty the draft cupboard because next year you still have a good returning roster and you should have a ton of picks left to turn a good roster into a great roster, like Hunt did in 2015

And if passed actions are an indicator of future actions, that is more likely to be Hunt's gameplan going into this deadline
then how can you say next year roster will look better than this year with those 2 gone plus more. I just can't see it with the roster that would be left, hope I'm wrong.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
This is why I think Hunt will add 1F. Probably a solid 2000 with potential that will be in the mix next year as well.
All told this is a solid team with nice parts that can have a good run

Ty Dellandrea would look nice......

But on a more realistic level, right now the Gens have only 1 OA candidate to me for next year and that's Kyle MacLean. Maybe Eggenberger is back, he is 2 years younger than the guys who will be getting drafted so maybe he doesn't get picked? But either way you'll have another open OA spot at least going into next year. That's where I expect Hunt to be looking this deadline

Reactions: GeneralConversation

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
To me, Ty would be our best addition. What do you think the cost would be? Hypothesize!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
To me, Ty would be our best addition. What do you think the cost would be? Hypothesize!

The question will be is there any player willing to report to flint? Obviously if Wong would go, him and picks would be a pretty good offer. But would he go

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I’ve read, get a top import G like the wolves did in several threads now. You do realize the wolves drafted the first import G in about five years? I don’t know how many were drafted for this CHL season, but I’m pretty sure there won’t be many import G ready/available to be drafted and immediately be among the top in OHL next season.
Its pretty clear now why the OHL stopped allowing import G though. Why use a 2nd pick on what may be the best G three seasons later, develop him, & pay for school package when you can just draft a known/proven 19 yr old import G each year. That doesn’t seem good for ON goalies.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I’ve read, get a top import G like the wolves did in several threads now. You do realize the wolves drafted the first import G in about five years? I don’t know how many were drafted for this CHL season, but I’m pretty sure there won’t be many import G ready/available to be drafted and immediately be among the top in OHL next season.
Its pretty clear now why the OHL stopped allowing import G though. Why use a 2nd pick on what may be the best G three seasons later, develop him, & pay for school package when you can just draft a known/proven 19 yr old import G each year. That doesn’t seem good for ON goalies.

Euro goalies taken in the last NHL draft who could be in the next Euro draft:
-Olof Lindbom (Sweden). 2nd round to NYR
-Justus Annunen (Finland). 3rd round to COL
-Jakub Skarek (Czech). 3rd round to NYI
-Jesper Eliasson (Sweden). 3rd round to DET
-Lukas Dostal (Czech). 3rd round to ANA
-Samuel Ersson (Sweden). 5th round to PHI

Or in the coming draft, Lukas Parik (Czech) and Hugo Alnefelt (Sweden) both look good.

I'd be targeting one of them

Last edited:

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

I think there are some similarities, but we also had Appleby knocking at the door waiting for regular starts. Losing Keyser will be a huge loss. Based on where the Gens will likely finish, our import pick will be low. Right away we’re not getting the best possible goalie. It could be the difference in drafting someone as good as UPL or getting Maxim Zhukov. Sure the Gens can use their picks next season to load up on talen, but we’ll need a good goalie to make key saves. That last Gens team was filled with talent. In the end it was Cirelli and Appleby that covered their asses in the final game.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think there are some similarities, but we also had Appleby knocking at the door waiting for regular starts. Losing Keyser will be a huge loss. Based on where the Gens will likely finish, our import pick will be low. Right away we’re not getting the best possible goalie. It could be the difference in drafting someone as good as UPL or getting Maxim Zhukov. Sure the Gens can use their picks next season to load up on talen, but we’ll need a good goalie to make key saves. That last Gens team was filled with talent. In the end it was Cirelli and Appleby that covered their asses in the final game.

Another option is you take a forward in the import draft (or keep Eggenberger) and use your picks to get a goalie in a trade like Ottawa just did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad