Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Not very impressive to say the least this evening. Was hoping for a better game.
I missed watching your stars, it only cost me $20 and 2 1/2 hours of my time.
Back up backup goaltender and then pull him. Not a good call.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
Normally I would but it likely won't be pretty. Niagara with the majority of their pre-Robertson trade roster (plus Paquette) and Gens missing their goalie, 2 of their best forwards and top D-man. It sucks we only get to play twice a year and one of the games the Gens are nowhere near what they actually are

Agree that it would be nice to play more than 2x per year. It’s been an exciting rivalry over the years. I would have liked to see how our full rosters match up. Ooh well. There’s always the playoffs. Good luck the rest of the way.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I'm so fascinated to see what Hunt does this deadline. Gens and Ottawa both have 10 2nds but 4 of Ottawa's are this coming draft so they pretty much have to use them this deadline. None of the Gens are this coming draft, which means even if they stand pat, they'd still have 11 2nd round picks next year to trade to get better

For comparisions sake, in 2015 the Gens paid rookie 1st(Pu)+veteran player(Sterk)+5 2nds+3 3rds+2 4ths+6th to get McCarron, Mermis, Mistele and Pedersen

The Gens will have way more than that next year (as of right now), although the team won't be as good as they were pre-deadline in 2015. But the assets sure will be there

Last edited:

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Guelph beat the Petes 6/1 on Fri
Beat Missi last night 6/4
Today they get passsd a tired Gens team 7-4
Ratcliffe will be back and angry about it.
Give him the GWG

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Both teams playing 3/3 and 4/6
Just saying

Good point on Ratcliffe

I think he means because the Gens are missing 4 of their top 6 guys though whereas Guelph is getting back their captain and best player as well as Samorukov, which should add some energy to them

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Gens missing 4 of their top 6 guys though whereas Guelph is getting back their captain and best player as well as Samorukov, which should add some energy to them

Where did you see that Samorukov will be back? He just left yesterday, on the Russian squad.

Guelph dressed 5 defensemen yesterday and had 3 forward lines Friday. This group will be tired. Our 3 call-ups have looked good. Important points for Guelph with how tight the West is this year.

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
I truly believe that winning takes less out of you than losing. The Gens looked tired last night, I don’t see that changing against another good team. It can be offset by great leadership, but that leadership is gone for the moment. It’ll have to come from the coaches today, much like it did on Friday. Hughes played solid on Friday and mostly solid on Saturday. He’s a big guy that hasn’t played for a while and then you thrust him into 3 in a row. He’s going to be tired. They’ll get to him in the second.
Just my thoughts.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Where did you see that Samorukov will be back? He just left yesterday, on the Russian squad.

Guelph dressed 5 defensemen yesterday and had 3 forward lines Friday. This group will be tired. Our 3 call-ups have looked good. Important points for Guelph with how tight the West is this year.

Misread a Larry Mellot tweet. I thought he said Samorukov didn't play in the Storm game yesterday because he forgot his passport but he meant he didn't leave for Russia camp yet because fo the forgotten passport

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Now Robinson is out hurt too (upper body). So no Studnicka, Keyser, Gross, Eggenberger, Blacker, Robinson or Ceci tonight.

5-2 GUE, Ratcliffe

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
On a serious note though, I'm getting worried about Brassard. He hasn't looked right all year and I just chalked it up to him missing all of the off-season and training camp with the shoulder surgery. But we're 28 games in and he still looks way slower than he did last year.

Rough game for Hughes, the Gens win that game if Keyser is in net, even without Studnicka/Gross/Eggenberger. But that's a tough spot for Hughes too in his first ever 3-in-3 with games 2 and 3 coming against two really high powered offences. Hughes is what we thought he is. He'll give you a chance to beat the bad teams and will look overmatched against most of the good teams, which is basically every backup goalie. 6 games to go after the break with all the WJ guys gone. Going 3-3 in that stretch and finishing 5-5 in the 10 games without everyone would have to be a success, then you hope to go on a run post-deadline with everyone back

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
A long time fan win or lose, I thought we had a good chance of doing some damage this season and after the last two games I don't know if we can yeah we are missing 4 players yada yada but Friday's game we looked like cup champs & the last two cumps. Only a few players play consistently others play when they want to. On the fence weather to buy or sell, guess will find out January 10th.

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
I'm on the fence with the notion of buying/selling. I believe Tullio will do anything he can to get his kid a chance at the Memorial Cup. Can we do it this year? Maybe. Can he build for 2 years from now? Probably an easier task. So do you trade away Studnicka and Keyser (2 of the best in the league)? If you're doing that you may as well sell Eggenberger too. Or do you add? My guess is Hunt adds and they go as far as they can.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I'm on the fence with the notion of buying/selling. I believe Tullio will do anything he can to get his kid a chance at the Memorial Cup. Can we do it this year? Maybe. Can he build for 2 years from now? Probably an easier task. So do you trade away Studnicka and Keyser (2 of the best in the league)? If you're doing that you may as well sell Eggenberger too. Or do you add? My guess is Hunt adds and they go as far as they can.

yeah I'm on the fence which way but I think more and more that we will be buying, I think because of the Salinitri trade we are going to be buyers, if we weren't why make that trade. and why I say I'm on the fence is I don't know what ever we get might in a trade makes us better than Ottawa or Niagara, if the standings finish like they are today we would meet Ottawa in the 2nd rd. I guess this season has a better chance than next as we could lose a lot of key pieces.My opinion

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
The last two games are a glimpse of next year. So with that in mind you either go all in big time adding at least three top end players. Two forwards and a D. One being an OA like Brazeau. You have the goalie this year so you can’t go a little in.

But if you arnt all in then you have to sell Keyser, studnicka, eggenberger, salintri , brassard, etc.

In the chats between periods in my section we all stress there is no feeling like 2014 and then 2015 team where we felt we were right there.

The smart thing to do is to build for 2-3 seasons from now.
IMO

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
I understand the smart way, but man it’s hard to give away such talent when you’re so close. Can Hunt/Tullio suppress their competitive urges and sell the farm? My guess is they buy one more forward.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
But one more forward only gets you a second round series with Ottawa which we won’t win and then you lose Keyser, studnicka etc for nothing so if your goal is to take advantage of the fact we have a top 3 in the league goalie who could win series on his own then you add big.
At least two high end scoring forwards and a top pairing D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad