Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
With Windsor not getting a ton of picks and no roster players from OTT, they will be pretty similar to the Gens on paper going into next year as of this point, although they still have more trades to make in the next month. Good D who are all returning, Good top end F's but need more depth, basically the same as Gens. Difference is they have a goalie next year where the Gens will need to draft one in the Euro draft

Rossi-Keating(OA if doesnt get signed)-Quinn
Bitten-Clarke-Maggio
Hoelscher-Tolnai-Yule
?-Crete-?

Bahl-Hoefenmayer(OA)
Rippon-Wilson(OA)
Okhotyuk-Peric

Andree
Cranley

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
The Gens do NOT have the firepower to seriously contend...see Sunday's game results. With all the talk on here now, I do not know what the Salinitri move was all about. If they move 2 or 3 of the players mentioned above, and they lose their possible overagers, there is not much coming back next year except on defence. Colour me confused!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The Gens do NOT have the firepower to seriously contend...see Sunday's game results. With all the talk on here now, I do not know what the Salinitri move was all about. If they move 2 or 3 of the players mentioned above, and they lose their possible overagers, there is not much coming back next year except on defence. Colour me confused!

I wouldn't say Noel, McShane, MacLean, Antropov, Wong, Tullio, Robinson isn't much, they just need to add to it but it's not a bad core. Noel and McShane both have the potential to be top 10 players in the OHL next season. And the D are all coming back so it certainly isn't a bad starting place if next year is the year they decide to go for it

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
The number of bodies you list is good but other than Noel, none of the above is a goal scorer, including McShane which is what all my griping is about this year. The Gens scouts can't seem to recognize 'sniper material'. Wong looks like he could be but has yet to consistently show that. We find solid blue collar types for the most part. And... with Keyser likely gone... no goalie prospect being developed this year.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The number of bodies you list is good but other than Noel, none of the above is a goal scorer, including McShane which is what all my griping is about this year. The Gens scouts can't seem to recognize 'sniper material'. Wong looks like he could be but has yet to consistently show that. We find solid blue collar types for the most part. And... with Keyser likely gone... no goalie prospect being developed this year.

The goalie situation is easily fixed in the Euro draft. The Gens expect Tullio to become a sniper as he grows and matures in this league (his goal on Saturday was a great shot, bar down). But yeah, ideally they add more forwards who are going to contribute next year at this years deadline.

McShane could easily score 25-30 next year I think. If he played a full season this year he'd be on pace for over 30 and with no offence to Bollers/Wong, he didn't have elite linemates by any means until Salinitri joined him

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Colton Incze goes to Windsor for a 4th. Why did Hunt not go after him for that price? He's a '99 and could be brought back next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Colton Incze goes to Windsor for a 4th. Why did Hunt not go after him for that price? He's a '99 and could be brought back next year.

Niagara probably did not to trade Incze for that price, let alone in conference

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Jack DeBoer has 6 games played for BU (the team has played 13 games) and has 0 goals, 0 assists for 0 points and just 2 shots in the 6 games. Only taken 9 draws (and won 5). He's been the 4th line C every game he's played. He has only played 2 games in a row once this season, as he's constantly being healthy scratched. Son of the Gens minority owner and a 2000 born, do we soon start to hear DeBoer to the Gens rumours? Gens took him in the 2nd round so they sure thought he was coming here at some point. Would look good as the team's 3C

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yup, but he ain't coming. Wishful thinking.

Why? If he continues to not play at BU, at some point going to play for the team your dad owns becomes more valuable than sitting on the bench. And BU has a huge class, especially forwards, coming in next year so I don’t see it changing

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I think he is first and foremost a student and once you have a couple of years under your belt, it's hard to change midstream. it happens but in this case I doubt it.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think he is first and foremost a student and once you have a couple of years under your belt, it's hard to change midstream. it happens but in this case I doubt it.

The Gens took him in the 2nd round and his dad is minority owner, so they had a very strong reason to believe he was coming at some point. Add in the fact he's been healthy scratched more than he's played and it's something I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. As a 2000 born he fits the core

Come over and centre McShane/Salinitri and who knows, you have a really good rest of the season and you get drafted as a re-entry. Look at what Eggenberger is doing now that he's getting to actually play

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Speaking of those two, why is Salinitri being used at centre? McShane strikes me more as a centre. Thoughts?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Speaking of those two, why is Salinitri being used at centre? McShane strikes me more as a centre. Thoughts?

Yeah that surprised me too. Salinitri was a winger in Sarnia and now there's 3 centres on that line (McShane-Salintri-MacLean) and Salinitri is the only one taking draws. They do cycle defensively based on who enters the D zone first, but yeah I am surprised that Salinitri is the one taking the draws. Maybe Montreal views McShane as more of a winger?

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Yeah that surprised me too. Salinitri was a winger in Sarnia and now there's 3 centres on that line (McShane-Salintri-MacLean) and Salinitri is the only one taking draws. They do cycle defensively based on who enters the D zone first, but yeah I am surprised that Salinitri is the one taking the draws. Maybe Montreal views McShane as more of a winger?
Personally this coach has no systems. I thought there was the start of something when the power play stopped the awful back pass but over the last bunch of games things seem so disorganized. Not a fan. So nothing surprises me here. Maybe he will put 5 centres on the ice lol. I kid I kid.....or do I?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Personally this coach has no systems. I thought there was the start of something when the power play stopped the awful back pass but over the last bunch of games things seem so disorganized. Not a fan. So nothing surprises me here. Maybe he will put 5 centres on the ice lol. I kid I kid.....or do I?

The only time you ever post is about how the Gens coach sucks and the defence is horrendous. Yet the team has the 2nd most points in the East. And now you’re going to say he has no systems.... I don’t even know where to start with such a bizarre comment, so I just won’t lol

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
The only time you ever post is about how the Gens coach sucks and the defence is horrendous. Yet the team has the 2nd most points in the East. And now you’re going to say he has no systems.... I don’t even know where to start with such a bizarre comment, so I just won’t lol
Ps. Not the only time i post. I don’t understand how you can say this is a finely tuned system this team plays. They win on talent. Keyser is incredible and stop the rose coloured glasses approach for once in your life. The main reason I and most don’t post on here is because no one is allowed to have an opinion that you don’t agree with. So I will have my opinion about this coach and you can ignore me if you don’t agree. I’m tired of you slamming anything I say negative. Also read the bottom it’s mostly tongue and cheek about all the centres. But here you go trying to pick a fight. I’d happily have this discussion with you off this board. I never once said the team is terrible or anything like that. This team has some great talent and they win games with said talent. The coach is responsible for getting the most out of his team and having a system to play. He in my opinion and many many people I chat to feel the same. You don’t and that’s great. But again you could simply say I don’t agree with you instead of making a gigantic stink saying you only comment on this and that. My last comment was saying that I thought they were starting to play some systems and power play looked better. It has fallen off once again in my opinion. Why do we get badly outshot most nights? Who stops the puck? Oh ya one of the best goalies we have seen in awhile. So next time before you belittle someone for their opinion on this opinionated themed board. Think about how what you say affects the dialogue on here. If anyone has any input about the coaching style I’d love to hear/read it

Reactions: Naz

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Also find me those words that you say I said. Never said sucks. Never said horrendous. I’ll move on just don’t like words being put in my mouth kid

Reactions: Naz

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ps. Not the only time i post. I don’t understand how you can say this is a finely tuned system this team plays. They win on talent. Keyser is incredible and stop the rose coloured glasses approach for once in your life. The main reason I and most don’t post on here is because no one is allowed to have an opinion that you don’t agree with. So I will have my opinion about this coach and you can ignore me if you don’t agree. I’m tired of you slamming anything I say negative. Also read the bottom it’s mostly tongue and cheek about all the centres. But here you go trying to pick a fight. I’d happily have this discussion with you off this board. I never once said the team is terrible or anything like that. This team has some great talent and they win games with said talent. The coach is responsible for getting the most out of his team and having a system to play. He in my opinion and many many people I chat to feel the same. You don’t and that’s great. But again you could simply say I don’t agree with you instead of making a gigantic stink saying you only comment on this and that. My last comment was saying that I thought they were starting to play some systems and power play looked better. It has fallen off once again in my opinion. Why do we get badly outshot most nights? Who stops the puck? Oh ya one of the best goalies we have seen in awhile. So next time before you belittle someone for their opinion on this opinionated themed board. Think about how what you say affects the dialogue on here. If anyone has any input about the coaching style I’d love to hear/read it

You can have whatever opinion you want, but back it up with something other than "well that's my opinion". Where is the statistical data to prove this is a problem? What examples do you have? Otherwise you're just complaining for the sake of complaining. The Gens are 2nd in points in the conference and have given up the 2nd fewest goals per game in the Eastern Conference.

So they're still learning the new coaches systems, which are completely different from the last 2 coaches, and they're still managing to have the 2nd fewest goals against per game in the entire conference. That doesn't sound to me like a lack of systems and a coach who has no idea what he's doing, but you're entitled to your own opinion, even if there is no factual data to back it up. This board is for a back and forth. So if you have data or any kind of tangible evidence other than "well that's what I see" feel free to post it.

By no means do I think that Walters is perfect, I think not playing Franche is a mistake and I think Robinson should always be higher in the lineup than he is. But based on the stats and how the year has gone so far, I don't see how anyone could drag him for a lack of systems or defensive play. But like I said, I'm not saying you don't have the right to state your opinion, I enjoy the conversations.

Last edited:

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
You can have whatever opinion you want, but back it up with something other than "well that's my opinion". Where is the statistical data to prove this is a problem? What examples do you have? Otherwise you're just complaining for the sake of complaining. The Gens are 2nd in points in the conference and have given up the 2nd fewest goals per game in the Eastern Conference.

So they're still learning the new coaches systems, which are completely different from the last 2 coaches, and they're still managing to have the 2nd fewest goals against per game in the entire conference. That doesn't sound to me like a lack of systems and a coach who has no idea what he's doing, but you're entitled to your own opinion, even if there is no factual data to back it up. This board is for a back and forth. So if you have data or any kind of tangible evidence other than "well that's what I see" feel free to post it.

By no means do I think that Walters is perfect, I think not playing Franche is a mistake and I think Robinson should always be higher in the lineup than he is. But based on the stats and how the year has gone so far, I don't see how anyone could drag him for a lack of systems or defensive play. But like I said, I'm not saying you don't have the right to state your opinion, I enjoy the conversations.
I think there has been plenty of time since August to learn systems. I’m watching the product on the ice. I don’t need factual data to say it looks messy. I said they are winning in the talent they have alone. Just sit back and compare this team to the championship team. Fair or not when we mention go for it or not you have to compare that. Great systems great team first. I just don’t feel this guy has the tools to do what DJ did. I was under the impression that he was a players coach. Tough but reasonable. I sit behind the bench he barely talks to them. This was how he was presented in every article we read. We have yet to see this kind of a coach. Do I hope he gets better? Yes nothing would make me happier than for consistency. I know they are kids. I get that. But I just don’t like the style I see know. That’s my facts cards on the table. Happy to discuss but like I said don’t ever put words in my mouth and we will be just fine. Cheers

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think there has been plenty of time since August to learn systems. I’m watching the product on the ice. I don’t need factual data to say it looks messy. I said they are winning in the talent they have alone. Just sit back and compare this team to the championship team. Fair or not when we mention go for it or not you have to compare that. Great systems great team first. I just don’t feel this guy has the tools to do what DJ did. I was under the impression that he was a players coach. Tough but reasonable. I sit behind the bench he barely talks to them. This was how he was presented in every article we read. We have yet to see this kind of a coach. Do I hope he gets better? Yes nothing would make me happier than for consistency. I know they are kids. I get that. But I just don’t like the style I see know. That’s my facts cards on the table. Happy to discuss but like I said don’t ever put words in my mouth and we will be just fine. Cheers

For sure he's no DJ Smith, but really is anyone? You could make the argument that DJ was the best coach in the history of the Gens, and will be one of the most sought after coaches for NHL teams without a head coach after this season. We were extremely lucky to get him in the OHL.

In the 2014-2015 Mem Cup year, the Gens were average 2.43 goals against after 28 games

This year they're averaging 2.89 goals against per game in 28 games.

When considering that it's a lot more run and gun in the league now and that was the best Gens team of all-time, I would say that's pretty impressive to only be giving up 0.46 more goals per game than that team did at the same point in the season

Edit: let's be clear that I'm not saying this team is even close to as good as that team, because they're not. But to be only 0.4 more goals against than that team, you're doing something right

Reactions: dirty12 and Nerf27

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens HFBoards Standings:
Last Game Calculated: Dec 2 vs WSR

GensFan2k2: 23
GeneralsUpdates: 21
GeneralConversation: 12
Pepsihead: 10
AWagner3018: 8
GensBrandon: 3