Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Keep discounting the Wolves. Love me the under the radar, underdog role. Really hope teams head into the playoffs with that mindset. You have a physical, hard working team with an outstanding goaltender and most importantly a balanced roster. Perfect recipe for the playoffs and wearing teams down.

I just don't think they'll be able to score consistently against the good teams the way they're currently constructed. But I don't think anyone really expected them to be a power this year. They're very much on schedule to be very good in a year or two. UPL just makes you kind of want to win now because he's so good and it's very unlikely you get this kind of goaltending again when the window is to win in 2 years

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I just don't think they'll be able to score consistently against the good teams the way they're currently constructed.
But I don't think anyone really expected them to be a power this year. They're very much on schedule to be very good in a year or two. UPL just makes you kind of want to win now because he's so good and it's very unlikely you get this kind of goaltending again when the window is to win in 2 years

First, teams will have to prove able to win in Sudbury where the wolves are 13-2-0-0.
But I agree with you. Unless the wolves add a significant piece at F & D, they likely end up with a 50/50 proposition in a 4-5 matchup with the Petes.

Last edited:

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
I would not be surprised if Eggenberger would be back. The entire defence minus Brassard would be returned plus Dellandrea, Hayton, Drouin, Robinson, Noel, McShane Tullio, Antropov, Wong, Eggenberger and our 1st and 2nd rounders . That's a pretty solid set of forwards. Would not have any of the '99 forwards back except MacLean find but would find the overagers from teams who have excess, if required. The problem bringing Eggy back is no Euro goalie but that would be alleviated if he did not return.
Did a trade happen last night or are you OHLinsider???

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I am an OHLspeculator! I was just speculating as to what the team COULD look like if one of the two options opined above, yesterday, was followed through with. Other than that, don't have a clue.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
General's pick up a goalie in a trade with sarnia Aidian Hughes for a 9th rd pick:huh:

This is the “Keyser is away, Mario Peccia can’t even get away with being an OHL backup and Sbrocca isn’t ready to start in this league” trade lol

If Hughes can be close to the .900 save % goalie he was last year, it’s great value for a 9th in 3 years. He’s got the size at 6’4, 240

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Hope he can help you - he was basically run out of town by Sarnia. Combination of poor play + not much help from the skaters in his own end results in 5 or 6 goals per game on a regular basis.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Hope he can help you - he was basically run out of town by Sarnia. Combination of poor play + not much help from the skaters in his own end results in 5 or 6 goals per game on a regular basis.
Got outplayed by a 17 year old this year, and last year he was on an elite team and he was a below average goalie with a .900 save percentage playing most nights against weaker teams. I hope a change of scenery helps his game, might be a waste of a 9th round pick, sarnia will take the pick all day in this trade.

GensBrandon

Dec 19, 2015
Got outplayed by a 17 year old this year, and last year he was on an elite team and he was a below average goalie with a .900 save percentage playing most nights against weaker teams. I hope a change of scenery helps his game, might be a waste of a 9th round pick, sarnia will take the pick all day in this trade.

I think the Generals would also take Hughes for a 9th round pick all day..

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

The odds of a 9th round pick ever playing for your team must be under 10% and the odds of a 9th round pick being an impact player must be under 5%. The Gens are getting someone who was .900 save % last year for the under 10% that a 9th round pick would be? Yeah, Hunt will take that every day of the week

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
The odds of a 9th round pick ever playing for your team must be under 10% and the odds of a 9th round pick being an impact player must be under 5%. The Gens are getting someone who was .900 save % last year for the under 10% that a 9th round pick would be? Yeah, Hunt will take that every day of the week
ya that .900 % was playing behind a team in the top 5 of the chl, and the games he played in were against the worst teams in the ohl, Oshawa isn’t the team sarnia was last year and Hughes hasn’t improved so you probably won’t get that .900 save percentage.. sarnias 17 year old is a wayyyy better goalie than he is already so ya 9th will be good, we have had very late picks and free agents work out great in the past, Sean josling and Franco sproviero are examples of that off the current roster just off the top of my head

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
ya that .900 % was playing behind a team in the top 5 of the chl, and the games he played in were against the worst teams in the ohl, Oshawa isn’t the team sarnia was last year and Hughes hasn’t improved so you probably won’t get that .900 save percentage.. sarnias 17 year old is a wayyyy better goalie than he is already so ya 9th will be good, we have had very late picks and free agents work out great in the past, Sean josling and Franco sproviero are examples of that off the current roster just off the top of my head

The Sting were founded in 1994. Since then they've selected 24 players in the 9th round, none of them have ever scored an OHL goal. None of them have ever played more than 5 OHL games.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Check out Jeff kings stats, that’s a 10th round pick, Sean josling wasn’t even drafted look up his stats, Matt Martin was never drafted look up his stats pretty sure he played in the nhl.. Curtis every 13th round pick on the team just as a depth player but he serves a good role

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I guarantee Brendan kennette their 9th rounder this year will make the team next year, he impressed at camp and is playing real well as a rookie in junior b

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I guarantee Brendan kennette their 9th rounder this year will make the team next year, he impressed at camp and is playing real well as a rookie in junior b

I was just illustrating how low the odds are of a 9th round pick becoming an OHL player. Its literally never happened in Sarnia Sting history

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Ya but we have free agents and picks lower than 9th round that have developed, and Hughes is basically a junior b goalie, let’s in beach bAlls with no screens or tips... maybe a change in scenery could do wonders for him, but a goalie at 19 years old with the amount of games he’s played should be better than that, he’s showed promise, but way to inconsistent

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ya but we have free agents and picks lower than 9th round that have developed, and Hughes is basically a junior b goalie, let’s in beach bAlls with no screens or tips... maybe a change in scenery could do wonders for him, but a goalie at 19 years old with the amount of games he’s played should be better than that, he’s showed promise, but way to inconsistent

Free agents will always be more successful than 9th-15th round picks because they can pick the situation that's perfect for them. While the late pick is stuck with only the team who drafted him.

I don't know why you feel the need to constantly attack a teenage goalie, but go do it somewhere else, it's really not a good look

Reactions: BoxerMax and Nerf27

GensBrandon

Dec 19, 2015

Not everyone on the forum wants to hear or deal with negativity. Please keep in mind he is a teenager and hours ago was on a team you support. It is amazing how the morals of grown men can go out the window when discussing junior hockey. Thank you, next.

Reactions: Nerf27

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
A hockey forum is to discuss hockey, I’m simply saying I don’t think he is good I’ve watched him the last three years , if he was great I’d say he was great, it’s not attacking it’s simply commenting on his play. And commenting on a goalies play shouldn’t matter whether he is a teenager or an adult (which he legally is) you are acting like I’m bullying or harassing him lol...but yes next

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

At the same age, the stats between the goalie you're trashing and the "wayyyyy better goalie":

Langevin this season (17 years old): 8-8-1, .883 save % in 19 games.

Hughes in 2016-2017 (17 years old): 7-8-3, .882 save % in 21 games

How long until you turn on Langevin too....?

Reactions: BoxerMax

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Langevin much less experience, 2 years younger , better save percentage, better goals against average playing behind the same team this year, that speaks for itself.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Langevin much less experience, 2 years younger , better save percentage, better goals against average playing behind the same team this year, that speaks for itself.

I'll put the over/under on when you realize that Langevin isn't any good either at December 1st, 2019

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
A hockey forum is to discuss hockey, I’m simply saying I don’t think he is good I’ve watched him the last three years , if he was great I’d say he was great, it’s not attacking it’s simply commenting on his play. And commenting on a goalies play shouldn’t matter whether he is a teenager or an adult (which he legally is) you are acting like I’m bullying or harassing him lol...but yes next
Hughes doesn't have to be good just okay as the generals have Keyser and he defiantly will be playing 95% of the games, baring injury, Hughes a capable OHL goalie that came for a 9th rd draft pick (cheap return). this move clears who is not staying as an OA and Matthew Sbrocca not ready for being the backup needs playing time and he won't get that in Oshawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->