Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is Sprong’s hair just a global warming prediction of the polar ice caps

View attachment 860630

View attachment 860632

View attachment 860633
giphy.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We still own RFA rights to Bjorkvist, Hallander and Filip Lindberg (the goalie) to my knowledge. None are 27 years of yet, so all will remain Pens property until then.

The ONLY way we land a Marner is if somehow the Leafs deem Tristan Jarry as the answer to their goaltending issues. And even then, I doubt we are able to pull it off.

As for Laine, I like the player. His presence on the PP would definitely help. That said, his value is nowhere near a first-round pick I don't care what year we are talking about. He is a reclamation project at this point. Not unlike his countryman Puljujarvi.

I am not trading much more than Reilly Smith for him at this point.

Laine was obviously injured this year. The two previous years he put up 52 in 55 and 56 in 56.

Not sure how he is a reclamation project.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol…forthcoming laugher on the coach and Jarry courtesy of Vensel’s article this am…

“One thing the Penguins could have done was make a change behind the bench. But they retained Sullivan, a decision Ferraro and Boudreau both understood.

“I think Mike Sullivan is a hell of coach,” Boudreau said. “All good coaches, they look at what they’ve got and have ideas of how they want to play. But if it’s not working, they change it. Mike Sullivan will look over everything this summer and say, ‘OK, we have to make some adjustments.’ And then he’ll make them.”

Ferraro echoed that. But he noted the roster is constructed to play an up-tempo style and said it could be problematic if they installed a totally different system.

Another area of interest is the goaltending situation. Dubas recently supported Jarry and said the Penguins could let Nedeljkovic leave in free agency and go with Blomqvist as the backup. Button believes sticking with Jarry is a mistake.

Ferraro thinks Jarry is an above-average starter with untapped upside. But he, too, used the words “inconsistent” and “unreliable” to describe the former All-Star.

Said Button, “You can bolster your lineup. You can get more speed and a little more youth. You can do everything right, and [goaltending] can still sink you.”

Reactions: SEALBound

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Lol…forthcoming laugher on the coach and Jarry courtesy of Vensel’s article this am…

“One thing the Penguins could have done was make a change behind the bench. But they retained Sullivan, a decision Ferraro and Boudreau both understood.

“I think Mike Sullivan is a hell of coach,” Boudreau said. “All good coaches, they look at what they’ve got and have ideas of how they want to play. But if it’s not working, they change it. Mike Sullivan will look over everything this summer and say, ‘OK, we have to make some adjustments.’ And then he’ll make them.”

Ferraro echoed that. But he noted the roster is constructed to play an up-tempo style and said it could be problematic if they installed a totally different system.

Another area of interest is the goaltending situation. Dubas recently supported Jarry and said the Penguins could let Nedeljkovic leave in free agency and go with Blomqvist as the backup. Button believes sticking with Jarry is a mistake.

Ferraro thinks Jarry is an above-average starter with untapped upside. But he, too, used the words “inconsistent” and “unreliable” to describe the former All-Star.

Said Button, “You can bolster your lineup. You can get more speed and a little more youth. You can do everything right, and [goaltending] can still sink you.”

Proves that "expert commentators" just have a ready made rolodex of commentary they pull out and don't actually know the team/situation they comment on (who can blame them, nobody can follow all 32 teams close).

“All good coaches, they look at what they’ve got and have ideas of how they want to play. But if it’s not working, they change it. Mike Sullivan will look over everything this summer and say, ‘OK, we have to make some adjustments.’ And then he’ll make them.”

This must mean that Boudreau doesn't think Sullivan is a good coach then, if we look on how reality actually is.

Ehm, it's the opposite. The coach wants to play an up-tempo style but the roster contruction is old and outdated as F.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
If Woll gets shelled in game 5, a TJ+ for Marner trade could very well be the move. Mitch holds all the cards so if he wants to come here and play with Sid there's not much Tree can do.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Letting Ned go to free agency would be a hilarious little third reboot of just missing the playoffs with Sully & the gang.

If Woll gets shelled in game 5, a TJ+ for Marner trade could very well be the move. Mitch holds all the cards so if he wants to come here and play with Sid there's not much Tree can do.
That + would have to be astronomical given Tristan Jarry's current contract and how this season just ended. Also using a bunch of assets now would be a funny followup to buying absolutely nothing at the trade deadline.

This org is so cooked.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Ned put up a .902. He wasn't anything special.

People are just shellshocked because we've had such a shitty starting goaltender for years.

I want Ned back if Jarry is gone so you have a guy who is familiar with the team. If Jarry comes back I dont want to pay overpay Ned. I dont mind overpaying him slightly if you move Jarry.

That + would have to be astronomical given Tristan Jarry's current contract and how this season just ended. Also using a bunch of assets now would be a funny followup to buying absolutely nothing at the trade deadline.

This org is so cooked.

I dont care about getting Marner but someone would tade for Jarry if he was on the table.

korpisalo got 4 mill last summer and Jarry is better than him.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I want Ned back if Jarry is gone so you have a guy who is familiar with the team.
It's not just about being familiar with the team. It's the entire roster (and coaching staff for that matter) actually showing balls and confidence with him in net. Not sure why you'd want to go fishing with a Kahkonen after witnessing what happened this year. But then again, I have absolutely zero faith in Dubas making the right call here. The Jarry contract was one of his first big moves, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him double down on it. I also don't think moving a guy like Jarry is as easy as you think it is. Goalies very seldom get traded.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
I would absolutely do a Jarry for Marner trade if Marner comes with an extension.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's not just about being familiar with the team. It's the entire roster (and coaching staff for that matter) actually showing balls and confidence with him in net. Not sure why you'd want to go fishing with a Kahkonen after witnessing what happened this year. But then again, I have absolutely zero faith in Dubas making the right call here. The Jarry contract was one of his first big moves, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him double down on it. I also don't think moving a guy like Jarry is as easy as you think it is. Goalies very seldom get traded.

Don't get blinded by a 10 game run that happened when they thought things didn't matter.

When they had to win against Boston they became the same team they've always been under Sullivan.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Don't get blinded by a 10 game run that happened when they thought things didn't matter.

When they had to win against Boston they became the same team they've always been under Sullivan.
I just want jarry gone

We can do as bad with any number of random guys making $3mil each

No reason to pay good money to be bad

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Speaking of which, will Eller be the new Carter? Or will we have to trade again for another useless 4C who is an active liability every time they touch the ice but people like in the lockerroom?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Speaking of which, will Eller be the new Carter? Or will we have to trade again for another useless 4C who is an active liability every time they touch the ice but people like in the lockerroom?

Same crowd that is talking Eller up as a home run signing this year will be throwing dirt on his grave while Sullivan plays him 16 minutes a night.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Same crowd that is talking Eller up as a home run signing this year will be throwing dirt on his grave while Sullivan plays him 16 minutes a night.
While this may be seen as a negative in some lights, I think it speaks to the success of the Sullivan developmental pipeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad