Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Wolves favour the Ice Dogs well over this year and the past few.
Wolves could very well upset the Ice Dogs in round two and the Ice dogs know it.
You betcha, a lot more skill yes but with structure, heart a modicum of skill and.....Ukko

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Ya, anything’s possible but I really don’t see it man. I’ve watched them enough and while they have good elements, they just really don’t scare me as a team and overall the Wolves are a much more cohesive unit and most importantly, seem to have more desire and heart through the lineup. I might have agreed awhile back but not now, for me the standings speak for themselves. Anything can happen yes and no disrespect but with home ice (will be huge, I don’t think the atmospheres will be comparable) Also I know how bad these kids want to bring it for the fans and experience the playoffs.
With Ukko and home ice, and the way the way they match up defensively and the heart of the Wolves I say no way but I’ve got a handful of crow on hand if I’m wrong. I don’t think any team should look favourably on drawing the Sudbury card. I’ll be watching them tonight.

Yeah the Wolves would be the favourites for sure, just think the Petes can score in bunches as they have the top end guys. I also wouldnt be surprised if SBY scoring dries up in the playoffs a bit. If PBO (mainly Merkley, Robertson, SDA, Paquette) get hot at the right time, I could see a 6/7 game series

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Wolves favour the Ice Dogs well over this year and the past few.
Wolves could very well upset the Ice Dogs in round two and the Ice dogs know it.

The Sunday game should be an interesting one now that NIA has had some time for the new guys to get to know the systems

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Yeah the Wolves would be the favourites for sure, just think the Petes can score in bunches as they have the top end guys. I also wouldnt be surprised if SBY scoring dries up in the playoffs a bit. If PBO (mainly Merkley, Robertson, SDA, Paquette) get hot at the right time, I could see a 6/7 game series
Again never know but I doubt it. I absolutely don’t see the offence drying up if anything they’re developing chemistry and most important of they have balanced scoring. And they have allowed the second fewest goals in the conference. Less goals you allow the less you have to score. Ukko aside this is remarkable for a a young D core.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The Sunday game should be an interesting one now that NIA has had some time for the new guys to get to know the systems
I love that they play in the Soo the night before. Can’t count how often the Wolves have been in a similar position over the years.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
After watching last nights game I don’t think any of the top four should be that enthusiastic to face the Petes. Ottawa didn’t play great but the Petes played awesome and to me should have won.I can’t help but think they’ve underachieved this year and yes, I agree they could upset. I’d like to see the Wolves draw another team.

Reactions: three dog night

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Inconsistent work ethic will come back to haunt any team. Gens are guilty of laisse faire attitude at times but have the depth to compensate for it against mediocre teams. The M Cup Team of 2015 racked up win after win partially because of an unwavering nightly work ethic.

Since the early Jan trades with the Hammer for 17 and 52, the Gens are 8-3-1, with the 3 losses strung together over the Ott x 2 / Ldn weekend. This team is getting the job done but perhaps not in the convincing fashion its fans want. They now have added leadership thru these trades which should alter the culture come playoff time.

At the end of the day, Keyser will need to be our best player to advance beyond round #2. I think the players will find another gear over the next 20 ish games and peak at the right time for the playoffs. A lot of additional positives can happen in 6 weeks to mirror the gains already made.

As for playoff opponents, I would think they'd want another crack at Niagara after last years dusting. As a fan, it would certainly be my preference. St Catherines is a great atmosphere come playoff time and is a shorter drive for road trippin.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
After watching last nights game I don’t think any of the top four should be that enthusiastic to face the Petes. Ottawa didn’t play great but the Petes played awesome and to me should have won.I can’t help but think they’ve underachieved this year and yes, I agree they could upset. I’d like to see the Wolves draw another team.

That’s what I told you ya! Talent wise the Petes should be right in the race with OSH and SBY. They have a future first rounder in Robertson, SDA who already got signed by the leafs right out of his first camp, Jones who should be an elite goalie and paquette/Timleck/Chisholm who are having great seasons. They’re just so inconsistent and find ways to lose rather than finding a way to win

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
A win is a win but our defensive coverage is just terrible, and if it's not corrected soon (which I think it won't)we are not going anywhere in the playoffs, could lose in the 1st rd.
Hope I'm wrong :popcorn:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
A win is a win but our defensive coverage is just terrible, and if it's not corrected soon (which I think it won't)we are not going anywhere in the playoffs, could lose in the 1st rd.
Hope I'm wrong :popcorn:

You don’t think the Dzone coverage is good? Oh you haven’t said.... ;)

Also a weird game to post that (although you literally do it every single game). Mattinen pass off the Erie guys skate for the 1st Erie goal really the only defensive breakdown all game, no? Perfect tip by Poddubnyi for the 2nd goal, nothing you can do. Then a freak goal where the puck is underneath Keyser and he didn’t know it was, putting it in his own net. Tough to blame the D for that.

I know Erie isn’t a great team but holding them to 8 shots through 2 periods (and only 22 shots in 62 mins) seems like a pretty good defensive effort

Last edited:

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
You don’t think the Dzone coverage is good? Oh you haven’t said.... ;)

Also a weird game to post that (although you literally do it every single game). Mattinen pass off the Erie guys skate for the 1st Erie goal really the only defensive breakdown all game, no? Perfect tip by Poddubnyi for the 2nd goal, nothing you can do. Then a freak goal where the puck is underneath Keyser and he didn’t know it was, putting it in his own net. Tough to blame the D for that.

I know Erie isn’t a great team but holding them to 8 shots through 2 periods (and only 22 shots in 62 mins) seems like a pretty good defensive effort
Like I said I hope I'm wrong but our defensive zone coverage is terrible, you have your opinion I have mine, and if you're happy with our defensive play great I'm not as this is going to be our downfall.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Like I said I hope I'm wrong but our defensive zone coverage is terrible, you have your opinion I have mine, and if you're happy with our defensive play great I'm not as this is going to be our downfall.

I just am confused why you posted it after that game. Like I said, holding a team to 8 shots through 40 minutes and 22 shots in total and only have 1 play where the D didn’t look great seems like a good game for the D-zone of a junior hockey team

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I just am confused why you posted it after that game. Like I said, holding a team to 8 shots through 40 minutes and 22 shots in total and only have 1 play where the D didn’t look great seems like a good game for the D-zone of a junior hockey team
8 shots in the 1st 40 minutes but 3 goals on 5 shot in the second :huh:

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
This team will not lose round #1. The d zone coverage is adequate. 52 likes to takes chances, which pays dividends on certain plays and costs the Gens on others. One play in front of Keyser led to an Otter goal last night if I'm not mistaken. He is who he is and is a definite upgrade over former # 21, now with the Dogs. #66 is prone to over committing with his coverage, which can lead to d zone breakdown. They'll tighten it up for the playoffs in round #1.

Round #2 is where the speed of Ottawa or Nia' may be too much for Gens to handle. Here's hoping for a long run.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
This team will not lose round #1. The d zone coverage is adequate. 52 likes to takes chances, which pays dividends on certain plays and costs the Gens on others. One play in front of Keyser led to an Otter goal last night if I'm not mistaken. He is who he is and is a definite upgrade over former # 21, now with the Dogs. #66 is prone to over committing with his coverage, which can lead to d zone breakdown. They'll tighten it up for the playoffs in round #1.

Round #2 is where the speed of Ottawa or Nia' may be too much for Gens to handle. Here's hoping for a long run.

Spot on analysis. The Gens are a team who has the offence and goalie to get hot at the right time and beat anyone though. All about who's PP and PK are clicking in that 2nd round series

Reactions: Whatanathol

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Danil, or as the Missy commentators like to call him, "AnDropoff", could be a late bloomer. With today's game being so speed and skating focused, he usually struggles to find the space required to show case his hands and above average creativity. Reminds me a Charlie Simmer (LA Kings) type player from back in the day. Don't see his skating improving to the point that it becomes an asset, but one never knows. An additional inch or two in height similar to his old man would certainly help for his down low presence, where almost all of his goals come from.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Reactions: Generalsupdates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad