Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Ottawa has 4 players in the top-16 in scoring (1, 11, 12, 16) totalling 289 points
Niagara also has 4 players in the top-16 (3, 7, 8, 14) totalling 292 points
Ottawa has an additional 3 in the top-50 (37, 46, 49) and Niagara has 2 (33, 38).

It would be difficult to find 2 teams more evenly matched in "offensive firepower".

That doesn’t mean they’re equal to me. Some guys pad their point totals against bad teams and some guys still can put up big numbers against elite D and goalies. Niagara’s forward group is much deeper and will score more consistently than Ottawa’s will in a NIA/OTT playoff series in my opinion

Reactions: three dog night

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
That doesn’t mean they’re equal to me. Some guys pad their point totals against bad teams and some guys still can put up big numbers against elite D and goalies. Niagara’s forward group is much deeper and will score more consistently than Ottawa’s will in a NIA/OTT playoff series in my opinion

That's the difference between fact and opinion. You have your opinion and, of course, you're entitled to it.

The fact is, Niagara has 7 more goals for than Ottawa and 49/50 games is a sufficient sample size to make a reasonable assumption that both teams, being in the same conference, have played a similar number of both "bad teams" and "elite D".

Your original suggestion, that "OTT doesn't have nearly the amount of offensive firepower that NIA does", simply isn't true. If a similar number of top-end scorers and an overall offensive output difference of less than 0.15 goals per game (that's 1 extra goal every 7 games) isn't "nearly", then one of us needs a new dictionary.

Reactions: blkhawk

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ya but its a league policy rule... it bever shows up on the game to the best of my knowledge

No it’s not. It’s completely based on what the ref writes up in his report. And Keyser only got a minor for roughing

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If the Pete’s have any self respect, they’ll come out flying tonight after getting embarrassed last night.

4-3 PBO, Robertson

dogs77

May 2, 2015
No it’s not. It’s completely based on what the ref writes up in his report. And Keyser only got a minor for roughing

I will stand corrected but for the last few seasons everytime a player has removed theur own helmet in the process or attempt to fight they have been suspended.. i guess there is an exception for goalies

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I will stand corrected but for the last few seasons everytime a player has removed theur own helmet in the process or attempt to fight they have been suspended.. i guess there is an exception for goalies

I like that Keyser didn't get suspended (shouldn't have been, even with the removed helmet), but it also does lend for a bit of an "opinion" thing from the officials. Over the last two seasons, we've seen players get minors for incidents that would have been called fights in years past. So, the officials are easing up on that, which I apprciate. With goaltenders, though, if they remove the helmet and don't throw a punch, it's apparently nothing, but if they remove the helmet and throw it's four games (removing helmet + leaving crease)?

Reactions: dogs77

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Watching the Gens go 0-3 last weekend was tough to watch. Two big wins against the Petes makes everything better.

Really liking our 4th line recently. Not the flashiest line in the league, but they’ve been finding ways to be effective. Resnick and Robinson teaming up for the game winner tonight is just one example.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Watching the Gens go 0-3 last weekend was tough to watch. Two big wins against the Petes makes everything better.

Really liking our 4th line recently. Not the flashiest line in the league, but they’ve been finding ways to be effective. Resnick and Robinson teaming up for the game winner tonight is just one example.
Robinson will be a top player for this team. Hunt strikes again in the second round

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Robinson will be a top player for this team. Hunt strikes again in the second round

Agree 100% with this. Robinson was one of the top players in minor midget last year and had a great training camp but a shoulder injury and then broken wrist really got him off to a slow start but now points in back to back games since returning. And both came on the 4th line. I think he's gunna be really good. He's super creative with the puck, which you saw tonight on the spinning backhand pass to set up the game winner

Reactions: Nerf27

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Day game after a night game on the road, expecting the Gens to come out somewhat sluggish to start.

4-2 SSM, Frost

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That was a good game between two pretty evenly matched teams. My god was Keyser good today though. That 2-on-0 save he made on Frost/Howdeshell might be the OHL save of the year

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Thoughts on Keyser first star and Hollowell second star?

I thought Keyser was excellent obviously, but I can't recall Hollowell ever playing a better game and he's the top blueliner in the OHL.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Thoughts on Keyser first star and Hollowell second star?

I thought Keyser was excellent obviously, but I can't recall Hollowell ever playing a better game and he's the top blueliner in the OHL.

The 3 stars are picked with 5 minutes left in the 3rd. At that time Keyser was easily the best player in that game. But I get into this fight with the Kitchener media guys every year when they do their war on the 3 stars, they mean nothing.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The 3 stars are picked with 5 minutes left in the 3rd. At that time Keyser was easily the best player in that game. But I get into this fight with the Kitchener media guys every year when they do their war on the 3 stars, they mean nothing.

I don't think many neutral hockey fans would agree with that assessment, but I digress.

I've spent time in the media booths around the league and while the stars are tentatively selected before the third ends, they are often changed after overtime. I'm sure that is also the case in Oshawa.

I don't often discuss the 3 stars, but I thought it was worth discussing after we saw one of the great performances in the league this season get denied.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I don't think many neutral hockey fans would agree with that assessment, but I digress.

I've spent time in the media booths around the league and while the stars are tentatively selected before the third ends, they are often changed after overtime. I'm sure that is also the case in Oshawa.

I don't often discuss the 3 stars, but I thought it was worth discussing after we saw one of the great performances in the league this season get denied.

Before OT, Keyser had stopped 31/33 (.939 save %) and had a top 3 (if not top 1) save of the season on the Howdeshell/Frost 2-on-0. Obviously they picked the 3 stars at that point and obviously he was the number 1 star had Hollowell not scored the OT winner. Should they have changed them once Hollowell scored? Sure. But it's really not that big of a deal. The 3 stars are for the home fans to cheer for their players who had a good game that night. Hollowell didn't even come out when he was announced for the 2nd star, I'm sure he was just happy they won and has no idea he's in a 3 star "controversy" lol

If it makes you feel any better, I do a "my 3 stars" after each game and I gave Hollowell the 1st star (although my phone autocorrected his name wrong)

Last edited:

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Heckuva game.

7 year old son met the Soo players after (his cousin billets Zach Trott), all of whom are super humble guys. Barrett H., Frost, and Hollowell all took the time to chat, sign their hockey card and snap a quick pic with the little guy. Happy for them as a team but disappointed as a gens fan that our players seemed tentative around their big 3. Too much respect given. Against Niagara on Thursday, the Dogs were on them physically all night, which contributed to the win IMO. With such big bodies, the Gens should really ground and pound their opponents. I appreciate that the league and hockey in general is moving away old time hockey, but it doesn't have to be touch / flag footy.

Gens have a chance to rack up some wins in coming weeks. The SAG away and home games will be good. Solid team over there. Top heavy with their first two lines. Will be interesting to see if our depth will prevail. Bollers will be off his suspension by then. Hope they dress him against his old team.

Reactions: three dog night

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Maybe it was just me, but I found Villalta every bit Keyser's equal in this game. Was Keyser good? Yes. Did he make an unbelievable highlight reel save on a 2 on 0? Sick. But so did Villalta make multiple 10 bell saves when the score was 2-0 for the Gens to keep the Hounds in the hunt, and eventually gave them a chance to win. In fact, if you look at the quality of the scoring opportunities over the course of the game, I believe you would find the Gens had higher quality chances (something my hounds will need to work harder to limit).

By all means give credit to your goalie. But when I see no mention of our's, I consider that a significant omission.

Reactions: Section7fan

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Maybe it was just me, but I found Villalta every bit Keyser's equal in this game. Was Keyser good? Yes. Did he make an unbelievable highlight reel save on a 2 on 0? Sick. But so did Villalta make multiple 10 bell saves when the score was 2-0 for the Gens to keep the Hounds in the hunt, and eventually gave them a chance to win. In fact, if you look at the quality of the scoring opportunities over the course of the game, I believe you would find the Gens had higher quality chances (something my hounds will need to work harder to limit).

By all means give credit to your goalie. But when I see no mention of our's, I consider that a significant omission.
How long are we going to talk about this? Like Gens Updates said the 3 starts mean nothing. They are for promotion and for kids to get a stick tossed to them by their home town heroes. I disagree that the Gens had more and better chances. The Gens played hard for about 5 minutes in this game. They are a very soft team with a lacking in compete level for 60 minutes. They have some great talent and size they don’t use. I don’t understand given 2 of the 3 coaches were very heavy type players. To win in the playoffs they need to find that heavy game but I don’t expect them to make it out of a second round matchup anyways. The Soo goalie made a couple good saves but was not called upon like Keyser was because the Soo was the better team. Hence why nobody is mentioning him. And again no more 3 star talk it really is a waste

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

The goal Villalta gave up to Saigeon was horrendous. Saigeon soft flips it in from the neutral zone so his linemates can change and Villalta kicks it right into the slot onto Saigeon's tape for a goal instead of covering it or putting it into the corner. Had he not done that, I would've said he had a great game. But that was shockingly bad. That and the Keyser 2-on-0 save were the reasons the Gens got a point yesterday. SSM had a ton of good chances all game, especially on their PP which was very good

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
How long are we going to talk about this? Like Gens Updates said the 3 starts mean nothing. They are for promotion and for kids to get a stick tossed to them by their home town heroes. I disagree that the Gens had more and better chances. The Gens played hard for about 5 minutes in this game. They are a very soft team with a lacking in compete level for 60 minutes. They have some great talent and size they don’t use. I don’t understand given 2 of the 3 coaches were very heavy type players. To win in the playoffs they need to find that heavy game but I don’t expect them to make it out of a second round matchup anyways. The Soo goalie made a couple good saves but was not called upon like Keyser was because the Soo was the better team. Hence why nobody is mentioning him. And again no more 3 star talk it really is a waste

The stick is also a great point I didn't even think of. When a Gens player is named a 3 star at home= a young kid gets a stick from his/her favourite player. When an opponent is, 70% of the time they don't even come out to wave. It's a no brainer

Reactions: Nerf27

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014

I agree Villalta played just as good as Keyser for sure. He made some big saves and keeps the team confident in front of him.

Keyser had a good game after a couple weeks not looking himself . Partly his fault and a lot of bad defense in front of him.
If only this Generals team played a little or had a couple players that played with the heavy, aggressive edge our 2015 team did. We have so many players that don't finish checks or skate away from opposing players with the puck. That needs to be addressed next year. we have some players with size but don't play that way.

Now I'm not saying I want Noel to fight but i want him to play with his size. The skill guys can still make the other team uncomfortable without fighting and taking bad penalties.

Reactions: road warrior
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad