Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I agree Villalta played just as good as Keyser for sure. He made some big saves and keeps the team confident in front of him.

Keyser had a good game after a couple weeks not looking himself . Partly his fault and a lot of bad defense in front of him.
If only this Generals team played a little or had a couple players that played with the heavy, aggressive edge our 2015 team did. We have so many players that don't finish checks or skate away from opposing players with the puck. That needs to be addressed next year. we have some players with size but don't play that way.

Now I'm not saying I want Noel to fight but i want him to play with his size. The skill guys can still make the other team uncomfortable without fighting and taking bad penalties.
Hit it on the head here. There are only a few guys that finish checks. And it’s pretty sad when a rookie Robinson is the best at this. Don’t get mad at me Gensupdates but finishing checks and playing heavy in part has to come from coaching. Not slamming just making observations

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Hit it on the head here. There are only a few guys that finish checks. And it’s pretty sad when a rookie Robinson is the best at this. Don’t get mad at me Gensupdates but finishing checks and playing heavy in part has to come from coaching. Not slamming just making observations

It's a double edge sword because last year the Gens tried to play heavy and had guys who were all about being physical (McCool etc) and Niagara destroyed them in the playoffs because the Gens couldn't keep up with them and we're too preoccupied with trying to hit (had Studnicka fighting a nothing Dman on NIA). Now the Gens have gone the opposite direction and are all about speed (Neumann, Salinitri, Saigeon, Noel all crazy fast) but that'll come at the expense of physicality. I don't know of many OHL players who can fly up and down the ice and will also put you through the boards. And if a team has a guy like that, you're probably not able to get him from them...

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
But skill guys can still play heavy on the other team. Too many guys skate and turn away from the opposition. I give Noel as the example only because of his size. I’m not saying we want all tough guys.
Another example was in 2015 we had mdc who was a skilled guy who played like a lot of our team does now but it didn’t matter when there were players on all lines who did.

Cole Cassells, brad latour, vande sompel,hunter smith, Carlisle, Cirelli,McCarron, mistele, brown,mermis all played heavy and produced. We just don’t have those types right now.

Like I said dalcolle doesn’t play that way and he didn’t have to with the other players we had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerf27

road warrior

May 25, 2014
I agree Villalta played just as good as Keyser for sure. He made some big saves and keeps the team confident in front of him.

Keyser had a good game after a couple weeks not looking himself . Partly his fault and a lot of bad defense in front of him.
If only this Generals team played a little or had a couple players that played with the heavy, aggressive edge our 2015 team did. We have so many players that don't finish checks or skate away from opposing players with the puck. That needs to be addressed next year. we have some players with size but don't play that way.

Now I'm not saying I want Noel to fight but i want him to play with his size. The skill guys can still make the other team uncomfortable without fighting and taking bad penalties.

I agree Villata played a very good game . I won’t slag a goalie for 1 bad rebound. Villalta’s style is very calm & I’m sure that (on top of his good play) helps instilled a lot of confidence in his team.

Keyser did need to show he’s back to normal & he did that yesterday - & that 2 on 0 stop put the exclamation point on it.

The 2015 team was special & so was the coach.
The kids play the style the coach wants. Some more grit out of our big bodies would be great to see (Antropov I’m thinking of you here)
The new coach will have to find his style he wants in today’s O - but I say we need to give him some time to build up to a championship level - don’t expect him to be Smith’s equal his first year.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
But skill guys can still play heavy on the other team. Too many guys skate and turn away from the opposition. I give Noel as the example only because of his size. I’m not saying we want all tough guys.
Another example was in 2015 we had mdc who was a skilled guy who played like a lot of our team does now but it didn’t matter when there were players on all lines who did.

Cole Cassells, brad latour, vande sompel,hunter smith, Carlisle, Cirelli,McCarron, mistele, brown,mermis all played heavy and produced. We just don’t have those types right now.

Like I said dalcolle doesn’t play that way and he didn’t have to with the other players we had.

It's kind of a different game now. If you hit a guy half a second after he dumps it in, it's an interference penalty now. Back then they'd pass and Hunter Smith would be allowed to take 3 more strides and crush a guy.

Vallati, Gross, Brewer, Ennis, Blacker, Mattinen (so all the D-men except Moore when he's back) will rough you up in the corners and in front of the net. But yeah the forwards arent as likely to do that. Tullio, Robinson, Bollers, MacLean, Antropov are the only guys who will consistently finish their checks on every shift. But I just think that can work as those are most of your 3rd/4th liners. Have your top 6 fly and score and have your bottom 6 be a lot more physical and wear the other team down

Reactions: three dog night

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Forgot to mention that I spoke with Moore on Sunday. Without saying it, his return date will be later than sooner. Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't until mid March.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Now you know what I was alluding to in our last exchange Generalsupdates.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Forgot to mention that I spoke with Moore on Sunday. Without saying it, his return date will be later than sooner. Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't until mid March.

If that's the case (mid-March return), I wonder if we'll see him this year at all. Would be extremely difficult to not play for 3 months and then have 1-2 games and then start a playoff series

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Yes time will tell. Injuries suck. Poor guy wants to get out there so bad but it was a serious injury that they won't screw around with. Tullio seems to have taken him on, off the ice, so he's in good company.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Heard @ the arena that Moore caste comes of this week but no set date on return to the ice, would love to see Moore play but trade was made for the future not present not saying he wouldn't help this season, but I rather have Moore fully healed foot.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Heard @ the arena that Moore caste comes of this week but no set date on return to the ice, would love to see Moore play but trade was made for the future not present not saying he wouldn't help this season, but I rather have Moore fully healed foot.

For sure. He’s going to be special. I’m excited to watch him run the powerplay for years to come

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Hamilton schools are cancelled today so it'll likely be a very empty building which could make for a weird game.

6-3 OSH, Saigeon

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
forgot about morning game today.... oh well..

ill post tomorrows prediction
Gens 5
Otters 3

GWG Mcshane

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Two in a row with a pretty piss poor effort. How do these guys get their compete level up? Hughes actually saved at least a point for them

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That's what you worry about with a schoolday game, very low compete level and the Gens were very lucky to get a point today, let alone 2. Really good game for Hughes

Reactions: Nerf27

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
That's what you worry about with a schoolday game, very low compete level and the Gens were very lucky to get a point today, let alone 2. Really good game for Hughes
Ya Hughes was real good. That’s all you can ask of a back up right there. The defensive break downs are killer lately. Passing is way off. Time to get the eggs out at practice lol.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Thought I read that when the Gens hired their new coach he was the type of coach "players would go through a wall for him"!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Thought I read that when the Gens hired their new coach he was the type of coach "players would go through a wall for him"!

The Gens are 31-18-3 (62.5 points percentage) and tied for 3rd place in the conference. I'd say that's pretty successful for a rookie coach, especially considering they lost their World Junior goalie for a full month or else their record would be even better

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The Gens are 31-18-3 (62.5 points percentage) and tied for 3rd place in the conference. I'd say that's pretty successful for a rookie coach, especially considering they lost their World Junior goalie for a full month or else their record would be even better
True. As would the Wolves right:). Maybe it wouldn’t even be a race at this point as we tanked bad. What do you think about the big road win in the Soo, all without Levin and Stratis.

Reactions: Drop the Puck

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
True. As would the Wolves right:). Maybe it wouldn’t even be a race at this point as we tanked bad. What do you think about the big road win in the Soo, all without Levin and Stratis.

Yeah it will likely be a close race for 3rd until the end of the season. Gens much more offensive (40 more goals than SBY) but Sudbury is very good at playing the trap and limiting chances (25 fewer goals given up than the Gens). I am shocked Sudbury has been able to win so much with how awful their powerplay has been this season (tied for dead last with Flint). That will definitely be their biggest test going into the playoffs. That’s how a lot of the goals are scored after the first round when it’s only the good teams left

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Yeah it will likely be a close race for 3rd until the end of the season. Gens much more offensive (40 more goals than SBY) but Sudbury is very good at playing the trap and limiting chances (25 fewer goals given up than the Gens). I am shocked Sudbury has been able to win so much with how awful their powerplay has been this season (tied for dead last with Flint). That will definitely be their biggest test going into the playoffs. That’s how a lot of the goals are scored after the first round when it’s only the good teams left
I know what you mean, really says something for their five on five play. I know close is horseshoes and hand grenades but honestly is it (the PP) looking much better lately, and actually without Levin who’s been absent for six games now I believe. Make of that what you wish but I still think we really need him back because as you’ve pointed out we’re definitely not an offensive juggernaut. Also yes, in the playoffs especially, a key PP goal or two is often the difference. They have to turn that around. Fortunately their PK has been excellent, and then of course there’s Ukko. Speaking of goalies I must say I didn’t realize how good Keyser is and now I know why you laud him the way you do.
How important do you feel third would be over fourth? The Wolves with two games in hand and a few matchups against the Gennies. Do think the seeding is that important? I’m not sure, you have to play a good team in round two anyway so you’re likely not to have home ice. Also there really doesn’t seem to be that much to be that much difference from fifth to eighth.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
How important do you feel third would be over fourth? The Wolves with two games in hand and a few matchups against the Gennies. Do think the seeding is that important? I’m not sure, you have to play a good team in round two anyway so you’re likely not to have home ice. Also there really doesn’t seem to be that much to be that much difference from fifth to eighth.

Honestly I think 4th might be better than 3rd. I’ve said this before but I’d rather play OTT than NIA in round 2. And if Miss or Ham can hold on to 5th (still a lot of time left) then 4th would be good with me to get MISS/HAM then OTT

If I was SBY, I just wouldn’t want to get the Petes. They’re the only team I think could upset them in round 1. But I don’t think the Petes could beat the Gens. Not because the Gens are better than sby but just because the Gens have such a mental edge on the Petes because they’ve dominated them for so long now in this “rivalry”

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Honestly I think 4th might be better than 3rd. I’ve said this before but I’d rather play OTT than NIA in round 2. And if Miss or Ham can hold on to 5th (still a lot of time left) then 4th would be good with me to get MISS/HAM then OTT

If I was SBY, I just wouldn’t want to get the Petes. They’re the only team I think could upset them in round 1. But I don’t think the Petes could beat the Gens. Not because the Gens are better than sby but just because the Gens have such a mental edge on the Petes because they’ve dominated them for so long now in this “rivalry”
Ya, anything’s possible but I really don’t see it man. I’ve watched them enough and while they have good elements, they just really don’t scare me as a team and overall the Wolves are a much more cohesive unit and most importantly, seem to have more desire and heart through the lineup. I might have agreed awhile back but not now, for me the standings speak for themselves. Anything can happen yes and no disrespect but with home ice (will be huge, I don’t think the atmospheres will be comparable) Also I know how bad these kids want to bring it for the fans and experience the playoffs.
With Ukko and home ice, and the way the way they match up defensively and the heart of the Wolves I say no way but I’ve got a handful of crow on hand if I’m wrong. I don’t think any team should look favourably on drawing the Sudbury card. I’ll be watching them tonight.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Wolves favour the Ice Dogs well over this year and the past few.
Wolves could very well upset the Ice Dogs in round two and the Ice dogs know it.

Reactions: Lycanthrope
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad