Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awagner3018

Sep 27, 2018
Id be ok with letting hughes start again but i dont think he will

Oshawa 6 barrie 2 gwg saigeon

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Based on their play this weekend I would say they win the first round and then done. Hate to be a Debbie Downer but I see an inept pp and poor clearing of the defensive zone and too many blind passes and miscues like Tullio's tonight When they are on, they look good but when they lose focus...look out!

Reactions: Naz

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Based on their play this weekend I would say they win the first round and then done. Hate to be a Debbie Downer but I see an inept pp and poor clearing of the defensive zone and too many blind passes and miscues like Tullio's tonight When they are on, they look good but when they lose focus...look out!

Who do you have them losing to in round 2 based on this weekend? While the Gens are going 3-0-0 this weekend and holding their opponents to 7 goals and 70 shots in 187 minutes (23 shots against per game) Ottawa barely beat Peterborough in a shootout, lost to Mississauga and then beat Hamilton by 1 (Ottawa got outshot in all 3 games against subpar teams). While Niagara has lost 4 in a row, losing 6-1, and 7-6 in that span, while also giving up 44 shots to Sudbury today. The last couple nights the Gens played two of the weaker teams I get that, but each game they made probably 1 big mistake that cost them a good scoring chance against. It could be a lost worse. Gens are now only 2 points out of the 2nd most points in the conference. Just got to pass one of SBY/NIA to finish 3rd. It's not doom and gloom in Gens land lol

Gens are 10-3-1 since the trade deadline and those losses are all to legit teams (Ottx2, LDN and SSM in OT)

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Matt Sbrocca returned to action tonight for the first time since Dec 31 and stopped 45/49 (.918 save %)

Cal Schell also won again and stopped 17/18. He's now 15-4-0 this year with a .918 save % in the GOJHL

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
That's my problem Generalsupdates ...barely slip by bottom enders and lose to contenders. They don't bear much resemblance to the Mem. Cup bunch. Not seeing the chemistry just yet.

Reactions: Naz

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I’d love to see that Barrie tender in a Gens uni next year. Big kid moves really good

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That's my problem Generalsupdates ...barely slip by bottom enders and lose to contenders. They don't bear much resemblance to the Mem. Cup bunch. Not seeing the chemistry just yet.

Fair, but Niagara just went 0-4 and Ottawa got outshot in every game to bottom feeders while the Gens were beating them. So in terms of the conference, the Gens have looked better than the top 2 teams lately.

As a whole the "go for it" teams are considerably weaker than in past years I think. Normally there are a couple teams who look like super teams and while NIA, LDN, SSM, GUE, OTT, SBY, etc. are very good, each one has a relatively glaring weakness that you could easily see being the reason they lose, which I don't feel like was the case in previous years for the top teams

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I’d love to see that Barrie tender in a Gens uni next year. Big kid moves really good

Agreed. I've been saying that for a couple weeks as it seems like a logical fit. Barrie has an '01 goalie, Jet Greaves, who has been unreal this season and he needs to be their starter next year so move the older (but still not an OA) goalie and give Greaves the crease. And for the Gens then they have a 2 year starting goalie for next year and then the potential Mem Cup year as an OA if he does good next year

Reactions: Nerf27

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Totally agree with your statement :thumbu:

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I don’t think anybody really thinks this is a championship team. Could they steal a serious? Absolutely. The team definitely has talent. Can’t compare them to 2015 as that was one of the best FULL teams I have ever seen. Keep in mind that team lost to Kingston and Belleville that year a handful of times and they were bottom feeders that year. For whatever reason in sports sometimes superior teams play down to the level of a lesser team. The best thing about these 3 games is the got the wins. I think come playoff time guys like Saigeon will set an example of what level of play needs to be. Again I think this is more of a lessen learning for Noel McShane Antropov etc for next year. I did like that after Noel took that lazy penalty the coach sat him for a couple shifts and put Robinson on his line. Noel has had a real problem with only playing when he wants to. Sitting him was good coaching and I can’t wait for his Florida staff to work with him this summer hoping to get that laziness right out of him.

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Playoffs are a different animal. I think this team is built well for some upsets. If they can play disciplined they can win. The special teams will be a difference in most series.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
The Gennies Facebook page is giving away tickets to Wednesday’s game against Peterborough. Should be a good one. Some promotion going on too. $4 hamburger, hot dog, sausage, or nachos.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Fair, but Niagara just went 0-4 and Ottawa got outshot in every game to bottom feeders while the Gens were beating them. So in terms of the conference, the Gens have looked better than the top 2 teams lately.

As a whole the "go for it" teams are considerably weaker than in past years I think. Normally there are a couple teams who look like super teams and while NIA, LDN, SSM, GUE, OTT, SBY, etc. are very good, each one has a relatively glaring weakness that you could easily see being the reason they lose, which I don't feel like was the case in previous years for the top teams
Curious as to what your “glaring weaknesses” are for each team.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Curious as to what your “glaring weaknesses” are for each team.

Ottawa’s and Niagara it’s the D-core. Previous years they’d go 4/5 deep of studs, Ottawa has a 2nd pair of Rippon-Okhotyuk? That’s far from elite for a 2nd pair of the best team in the league. Same for Niagara. They have some good offensive Dmen but most of those guys aren’t great in their own zone.

Guelph it’s Popivich, I think everyone would agree there.

Sudbury it’s their depth scoring (I’m sure you’ll say you disagree) but having 1 guy over a point per game is worrisome to me (for comparison sake, the Gens have 5, Ottawa has 6, Niagara has 7) as well as their powerplay

London to me is the most complete team but they don’t have an elite goalie either. Can Raaymakers be good enough to win a championship? That’s a legit question going forward

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Ottawa’s and Niagara it’s the D-core. Previous years they’d go 4/5 deep of studs, Ottawa has a 2nd pair of Rippon-Okhotyuk? That’s far from elite for a 2nd pair of the best team in the league. Same for Niagara. They have some good offensive Dmen but most of those guys aren’t great in their own zone.

Guelph it’s Popivich, I think everyone would agree there.

Sudbury it’s their depth scoring (I’m sure you’ll say you disagree) but having 1 guy over a point per game is worrisome to me (for comparison sake, the Gens have 5, Ottawa has 6, Niagara has 7) as well as their powerplay

London to me is the most complete team but they don’t have an elite goalie either. Can Raaymakers be good enough to win a championship? That’s a legit question going forward
I didn’t see your inclusion of the Gen’s weakness.
As for Sudbury, their scoring by committee could just as easily be argued to be their strength. It’s quite possible they could end up with at least six twenty plus goal scorers spread through the lineup.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I didn’t see your inclusion of the Gen’s weakness.
As for Sudbury, their scoring by committee could just as easily be argued to be their strength. It’s quite possible they could end up with at least six twenty plus goal scorers spread through the lineup.

In the playoffs after the first round it’s a lot slower of a game and you need to rely on your top guys a lot more. Sudbury just doesn’t have them compared to the other top 4 teams. Also rumours going around that Levin might be done for the season. That would make that even tougher if that’s true

And regarding the potential SBY 6 20 goal scorers. The Gens will likely have 8. Niagara also with 8 or 9 and Ottawa with 8. So even if Sudbury does get to 6 20 goal scorers, that has them behind the rest of the top 4 in the East, hence why I think that’s their weakness, along with the PP

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
In the playoffs after the first round it’s a lot slower of a game and you need to rely on your top guys a lot more. Sudbury just doesn’t have them compared to the other top 4 teams. Also rumours going around that Levin might be done for the season. That would make that even tougher if that’s true

And regarding the potential SBY 6 20 goal scorers. The Gens will likely have 8. Niagara also with 8 or 9 and Ottawa with 8
I’m not sure where you get that but ok, I’ll have to watch for the game “slowing down”. As far as Levin, 4 to 6 weeks I would hope is more probable than for the season but I guess we’ll have to see. Sure would like him back but the team is managing pretty good in his absence isn’t it (powerplay looks noticeably better for what that’s worth).
Oh and finally, again what’s the Gen’s glaring weakness in your estimation?
For what it’s worth, I see the league champ coming from the west. The Soo for example looked more elite than any team we’ve faced from the East and that’s not counting the other powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->