Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Generalsupdates won't say it but it's our defensive play in our own end,thank God on some nights we have Keyser in net.

Lol I have no problem acknowledging the teams faults. Go back and read my posts after the OTT/LDN weekend. I just don’t get doing it after well played wins where the team as a whole made 2 bad defensive plays in 120+ minutes but some people just want to find anything and everything to complain about

To answer your question Ly, the Gens weakness is consistency. At times they can dominate anyone in the league and then they’ll have a 10 minute stretch where they look like the Petes and can’t do anything right, which is why I think they’re the 3rd most dangerous team in the east and not a top 2 one

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Generalsupdates won't say it but it's our defensive play in our own end,thank God on some nights we have Keyser in net.
Thanks, from what I’ve seen I agree. Anyway something I truly believe is undervalued regarding the Wolves success this year is their defensive play (yes aside from Ukko). Seems way ahead of schedule considering the median age of our D. Have to credit the coaching staff but look at yesterday. Despite eight PP opportunities against, they limited the Dogs shots and chances and outshot them 44-34. No one talks about that.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
52 of the Gens 67 post-deadline goals (77.6%) have been either scored or assists by one of the 5 guys Hunt acquired during the season (Salinitri, Bollers, Saigeon, Mattinen, Neumann)

Scored: 32
Primary Assist: 21
Secondary Assist: 23
None: 15

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Interesting. Nothing against #14, who is an energy 4th liner and would be the first to acknowledge his role, but the stat can be boiled down to 4 players, 3 of which will be gone next year. This is a little concerning for the 2019-2020 campaign, which can hopefully be off set thru some more shrewd Hunt trades and further development of #61, #18, and Nia D man latest acquisition.

Hunt really is Oshawa's MVP this year.

Hope the lads come out flying vs peteboro tonight and stamp the outcome by the end of the 1st. Being so close in the standings to Suds and now Niagara should be motivation enough.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Just happened to come across this today. Is this probably a one-off thing? Or is there going to be a broadcast issue for the rest of the season? Seems weird that the Gens are directing questions and concerns to Rogers TV Durham rather than saying there will be no broadcast for today only and that they'll be back for the next home game.

Mar 12, 2009
Just happened to come across this today. Is this probably a one-off thing? Or is there going to be a broadcast issue for the rest of the season? Seems weird that the Gens are directing questions and concerns to Rogers TV Durham rather than saying there will be no broadcast for today only and that they'll be back for the next home game.

As sebjhockey mentioned in the Rangers forum, a Rogers employee had told him that Rogers is scaling back coverage this season, ranging from 2 games (that would otherwise have been broadcast) being scrapped from broadcast up to 10ish for a team like Ottawa. Next year it's supposed to be 5 games being scrapped for teams like Kitchener. I assume the Gen's are redirecting questions to Rogers because this is 100% Rogers decision.

Anyone know why Lleyton Moore hasn't suited up in a month since the trade to Oshawa?

Reactions: Canadian Game

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Anyone know why Lleyton Moore hasn't suited up in a month since the trade to Oshawa?
Has an ankle/foot injury and had a walking case on that was taken off last week,Don't know if he will see any games this season but I sure do hope.

Reactions: Torgo

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
As sebjhockey mentioned in the Rangers forum, a Rogers employee had told him that Rogers is scaling back coverage this season, ranging from 2 games (that would otherwise have been broadcast) being scrapped from broadcast up to 10ish for a team like Ottawa. Next year it's supposed to be 5 games being scrapped for teams like Kitchener. I assume the Gen's are redirecting questions to Rogers because this is 100% Rogers decision.

Torn ligament in his foot

Reactions: Torgo

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

Wow. I hadn't heard of Rogers cutting the number of broadcasts from some teams. That sucks for fans across the OHL. I wonder if Cogeco would want to swoop in and take over broadcasts in any of those regions. Also seems odd that Rogers would cut the number of broadcasts while they are tying to promote CHL hockey on a national scale with the Canada/Russia Series, Saturday CHL Showcase games, Top Prospects game, and the Memorial Cup.

Meanwhile, I'd be curious how the webcast works for OHL live if they're not linking to the Rogers feed. Do they just use a webcam and in-arena audio? Or does Rogers still do a watered down broadcast to save money?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I keep waiting for the Petes to come out flying and give a great effort (talent wise they should be in the conversation for top 3 in the conference) so maybe tonight's the night, and also I need to bet against GensFan2k2 because I'm running out of time to catch up in the standings:ha:

4-3 PBO, Robertson

EJNKGens

Jan 1, 2019
Why is Franche not playing? He was out in the warm up but then listed as a scratch for tonight's game. He has missed quite a few of the recent games.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Why is Franche not playing? He was out in the warm up but then listed as a scratch for tonight's game. He has missed quite a few of the recent games.

Healthy scratch. He really only draws into the lineup when someone is out hurt or suspended. He's the 7th Dman and 13th forward right now

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Tonight's game got a little sloppy after the 1st period. Thankfully Michael Little decided to make his presence known with a dumb check from behind late in the 3rd.

My one pet peeve is the lack of support with this team. That hit on Keyser got no response from anyone. I get taking the high road and settling for a PP, but our powerplay is pretty awful some nights so its not like were guaranteed to make them pay on that (which we didn't). When it comes to someone who's as important as Keyser, I would like to see some sort of response. Don't want to set a precedent that its ok for teams to get rough in his crease.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Tonight's game got a little sloppy after the 1st period. Thankfully Michael Little decided to make his presence known with a dumb check from behind late in the 3rd.

My one pet peeve is the lack of support with this team. That hit on Keyser got no response from anyone. I get taking the high road and settling for a PP, but our powerplay is pretty awful some nights so its not like were guaranteed to make them pay on that (which we didn't). When it comes to someone who's as important as Keyser, I would like to see some sort of response. Don't want to set a precedent that its ok for teams to get rough in his crease.

Who do you want to go after Paquette? The Gens don't have a Sean Allen who isn't a great player but is there to fight, it's not how the league is played anymore. For Serron Noel to go after Paquette just to face wash him. Now you don't get a PP, Paquette doesn't care because it's not like he just got beat up and now your NHL 2nd rounder is off the ice for 2 minutes. And I don't think Keyser would be thinking "I just got run over but thank god Serron rubbed his face after". The response is to score on the powerplay. It didn't happen on the Paquette one but look at the Little hit. In previous years Sean Allen jumps Little after that hit and it's 4-on-4. Instead the Gens tell him he's an idiot and then score the game winning goal on the powerplay. I promise you that Little having to skate back to the bench with is head between his legs and feeling like the biggest clown in the arena after the McShane PPG is far better than a Gens player face-washing him after that hit and getting 4-on-4

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Another game that was pretty good defensively for the Gens for the most part. Absolutely dominated the Petes in the 1st but then a much closer game the remaining 2 periods. Only real "yikes" moment was Keyser putting the game tying goal on Butler's stick only for him to miss the wide open net. Gens special teams looked really good tonight. PK was 3/3 giving up only 2 shots and didn't give up a shot on the Petes last attempt with 2:43 left, which most of it was 6-on-4. Also the PP going 1/3 but that McShane goal was at a huge time and was the game winner.

Must win in Flint now, the Saginaw game isn't as important if you win in Flint and then a huge one Monday vs Sudbury

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Who do you want to go after Paquette? The Gens don't have a Sean Allen who isn't a great player but is there to fight, it's not how the league is played anymore. For Serron Noel to go after Paquette just to face wash him. Now you don't get a PP, Paquette doesn't care because it's not like he just got beat up and now your NHL 2nd rounder is off the ice for 2 minutes. And I don't think Keyser would be thinking "I just got run over but thank god Serron rubbed his face after". The response is to score on the powerplay. It didn't happen on the Paquette one but look at the Little hit. In previous years Sean Allen jumps Little after that hit and it's 4-on-4. Instead the Gens tell him he's an idiot and then score the game winning goal on the powerplay. I promise you that Little having to skate back to the bench with is head between his legs and feeling like the biggest clown in the arena after the McShane PPG is far better than a Gens player face-washing him after that hit and getting 4-on-4

Ya I understand. It's just tough to see Keyser down on the ice and Paquette casually skating to the penalty box.

It feels like its Walters who preaches not to get involved in that kind of stuff. I'm sure if someone ran over Jones, Fraser/Little/Merkley would be throwing punches. For the most part, the Gens ignore a lot of the extra circular stuff. Fraser spent the game chasing hits and hacking at everyone that made him look bad. You would think someone would eventually retaliate with a slash back, but Walters has the whole team ignoring that stuff.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ya I understand. It's just tough to see Keyser down on the ice and Paquette casually skating to the penalty box.

It feels like its Walters who preaches not to get involved in that kind of stuff. I'm sure if someone ran over Jones, Fraser/Little/Merkley would be throwing punches. For the most part, the Gens ignore a lot of the extra circular stuff. Fraser spent the game chasing hits and hacking at everyone that made him look bad. You would think someone would eventually retaliate with a slash back, but Walters has the whole team ignoring that stuff.

Yeah you're probably right that he preaches that. I think back to when Hatcher crushed Tullio and Antropov stepped in and got pumped. The Gens were shorthanded, Antropov was gone for 17 minutes and he got beat up and then SAR scored on that PP. I get wanting to stick up for your player, but in terms of actually winning the game it doesn't make much sense to go after the guy in a close game

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Interesting stat tonight:

McShane scored his 56th goal with the Gens which ties him for 81st all time (with Jack Studnicka). Jack did it in 222 games, Allan has done it in 145 games

Reactions: LR8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->