Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Gens season tix holder here, who has a good reference point insofar as I have yet to miss a home game this year.

Was in Niagara last night and saw the Soo game. Observations are as follows:

1. It was a heavy game with good hitting and smack talk between two very good teams.

2. Soo hit two posts early, which may have affected the outcome of the game but ultimately Niagara was the better team and deserved to win. Solid goal tending and good structured play. 44 is stellar and would look great in a gens jerz next year come January 2020.

3. Oshawa needs to finish 3rd overall and draw Niagara in the 2nd round. We can beat them. Unlike Ottawa, whom Keyser could potentially beat by stealing a series, our speed matches up with Niagara. It would be a close series but one Gens can win.

4. Soo looked tired in the 1/2 half of the game and mailed it in. We should be able to handle them on Sunday. 11, 16, and 27 are excellent players. Minimize their damage and we'll be fine. Gens have more depth than Soo.

looking forward to seeing how the weekend unfolds. Saturday night is going to be a blast. This evening too.

Reactions: three dog night

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Gens season tix holder here, who has a good reference point insofar as I have yet to miss a home game this year.

Was in Niagara last night and saw the Soo game. Observations are as follows:

1. It was a heavy game with good hitting and smack talk between two very good teams.

2. Soo hit two posts early, which may have affected the outcome of the game but ultimately Niagara was the better team and deserved to win. Solid goal tending and good structured play. 44 is stellar and would look great in a gens jerz next year come January 2020.

3. Oshawa needs to finish 3rd overall and draw Niagara in the 2nd round. We can beat them. Unlike Ottawa, whom Keyser could potentially beat by stealing a series, our speed matches up with Niagara. It would be a close series but one Gens can win.

4. Soo looked tired in the 1/2 half of the game and mailed it in. We should be able to handle them on Sunday. 11, 16, and 27 are excellent players. Minimize their damage and we'll be fine. Gens have more depth than Soo.

looking forward to seeing how the weekend unfolds. Saturday night is going to be a blast. This evening too.

Point 3 is interesting to me. I don't think the Gens have a chance against Niagara as they're by far the best team in the East. But I do think the Gens could give OTT a run if they could shore up the D-zone coverages. OTT doesn't have nearly the amount of offensive firepower that NIA does. The Gens would still obviously be underdogs against OTT, but I just think the chance for an upset is higher than against NIA. NIA and GUE are the 2 best teams in the league to me

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
If the D zone coverage is not fixed they can’t beat either team. I just don’t get it as there are good defensive players on this team. Do they rely on Keyser mentally too much?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If the D zone coverage is not fixed they can’t beat either team. I just don’t get it as there are good defensive players on this team. Do they rely on Keyser mentally too much?

Even if the Dzone coverage is fixed, they'd still be underdogs against both teams. But I'm not sure what it is. Lately it seems to be the other teams Dman pinching and the winger not feeling him coming and turning it over there. Don't know if that's a communication issue for the other guys not yelling that he's pinching or what. That cost the Gens at least 3/4 goals last weekend though

Reactions: Nerf27

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Can one of these coaches teach them how to play below the hashmarks? Seriously never seen such disorganization there.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Well that was fun. My god are the Petes ever undisciplined and their PP is horrendous. Bad combo. I love that Walters kept putting the top PP units out to bury them. If you're going to keep taking stupid penalties and are going to try to be fake tough guys, keep making them pay. Especially since you play them again the next night.

I'd expect Little (instigating in last 5 minutes) and Bollers (3rd man in) to get 2 games each. And Grodin (cross-checking major) to get somewhere between 5-10 games. Probably nothing else

Reactions: viewfromabove

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Already looking forward to Ryan Merkley sponsoring the Gens powerplay in next seasons series. Noel didn't even have to try on that one call tonight. Merkley talked his way into that one. Also love that after that disgusting knee on Neumann, he eventually drops the gloves with Resnick... we'll take that trade off all day.

Feel bad for Austin though. The Gennies were just picking him apart all night

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Already looking forward to Ryan Merkley sponsoring the Gens powerplay in next seasons series. Noel didn't even have to try on that one call tonight. Merkley talked his way into that one. Also love that after that disgusting knee on Neumann, he eventually drops the gloves with Resnick... we'll take that trade off all day.

Feel bad for Austin though. The Gennies were just picking him apart all night

An NHL team took him in the 1st round..... It sounds more and more ridiculous every time I hear it

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Also, Ty Tullio was a beast tonight. He now has 5 goals and 9 assists for 14 points in his last 8 games

Reactions: Nerf27

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Does Oshawa have an over the air radio broadcast? I did a search but could only find Internet broadcast. TIA.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
OTT doesn't have nearly the amount of offensive firepower that NIA does.

Ottawa has 4 players in the top-16 in scoring (1, 11, 12, 16) totalling 289 points
Niagara also has 4 players in the top-16 (3, 7, 8, 14) totalling 292 points
Ottawa has an additional 3 in the top-50 (37, 46, 49) and Niagara has 2 (33, 38).

It would be difficult to find 2 teams more evenly matched in "offensive firepower".

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Is Keyser suspended for anything? He technically didn’t throw any punches, but he did get kicked out. Just wasn’t sure if he’d be on the bench tonight or if Sbrocca would be called up.

I think it will be a much calmer game tonight, but I wouldn’t be opposed to Franche taking a few runs at some of the Petes. Either that or do the typical Franche thing and draw penalties on the 4th line. Shouldn’t be too hard with Merkley out there.

dogs77

May 2, 2015
Is Keyser suspended for anything? He technically didn’t throw any punches, but he did get kicked out. Just wasn’t sure if he’d be on the bench tonight or if Sbrocca would be called up.

I think it will be a much calmer game tonight, but I wouldn’t be opposed to Franche taking a few runs at some of the Petes. Either that or do the typical Franche thing and draw penalties on the 4th line. Shouldn’t be too hard with Merkley out there.

He dropped his gloves and threw his hetmet off.. which usually carries a suspension so id be surprised if he isnt

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
He dropped his gloves and threw his hetmet off.. which usually carries a suspension so id be surprised if he isnt

Ya that’s what I thought. I remember Altshuller and D’Agostini getting a few games when they fought a couple years ago. They legitimately fought though, so I wasn’t sure on Keysers situation.

dogs77

May 2, 2015
Ya that’s what I thought. I remember Altshuller and D’Agostini getting a few games when they fought a couple years ago. They legitimately fought though, so I wasn’t sure on Keysers situation.

If suspended it will be solely based on his removal of his helmet

PEPSIHEAD

May 15, 2004
Keyser is only listed as having had a roughing minor called against him on the game sheet. FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad