Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I thought we would split with Ottawa. Friday was a letdown with big crowd and defensively we didn’t show up. If you told me we would score 6 on depietro I would have thought that’s a win.

Ottawa and Niagara are the cream of the crop in the East. We are in the second tier .

One element we are missing is the physical side that DJ Smith coached teams played with. I’m not talking about fighting. I’m talking very few finished checks and very few times we make the other team worried that they will get hit when they have the puck.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
So guess we know where the team is at currently? Thoughts?

I think the Gens outplayed Ottawa for the majority of both games but too many defensive letdowns cost them both games.

Tonight's huge. Going 1-2 and saying okay we played well for the majority of all 3 games and can tighten up the D-zone and it'd still be a positive weekend to me. But going 0-3 would obviously be a very disappointing weekend

Reactions: Nerf27

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
5-3 London
Tymkin with the winner .
Great game. Good back and forth in the third. Thought the Gens were going to put it away with the early PP in the 3rd but that shorthanded goal defaulted them a bit even though they came back shortly after. Just not enough firepower or solid D on this team to compete with deep teams like Ottawa, Niagara, SSM and London but the future is bright.
Keyser is solid but facing that many shots a game isnt good. Cheers Gens fans

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
5-3 London
Tymkin with the winner .
Great game. Good back and forth in the third. Thought the Gens were going to put it away with the early PP in the 3rd but that shorthanded goal defaulted them a bit even though they came back shortly after. Just not enough firepower or solid D on this team to compete with deep teams like Ottawa, Niagara, SSM and London but the future is bright.
Keyser is solid but facing that many shots a game isnt good. Cheers Gens fans

Is Bouchard going through a bad stretch or has he really struggled all season in LDN in his own end? I was shocked how careless he was with the puck tonight and how easily the Gens weaker players got under his skin. Normally I wouldn't have thought much of it but pairing that with the really bad WJ tourny he had compared to what was expected of him, he does not seem to be very motivated to be back in Jr hockey. Hopefully he snaps out of that for Knights fans sake

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Is Bouchard going through a bad stretch or has he really struggled all season in LDN in his own end? I was shocked how careless he was with the puck tonight and how easily the Gens weaker players got under his skin. Normally I wouldn't have thought much of it but pairing that with the really bad WJ tourny he had compared to what was expected of him, he does not seem to be very motivated to be back in Jr hockey. Hopefully he snaps out of that for Knights fans sake
Yeah. We’re used to Bouch being loosely-goosed in his end....but when he wants to he can be a really solid shut down D-man. I have a feeling he is playing hurt (rumour our of the WJ was he had injured his shoulder) and when he came back, he did not use his body in the corners like he did earlier in the season....he just looked off. He’s starting to come around but methinks he’s still hurting and frustrated. That being said, he still makes the plays when we need him to.
cheers

Reactions: TheCoach

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
So I guess that didn’t work out how I hoped losing all three this weekend.

I wish some of our guys played a little heavier. Realistically it looks like an east final of Ottawa vs Niagara now.

We will put up a tough challenge though in a second rd series but ultimately don’t match up well with Ottawa or niagara.

Is there any way Keyser returns as an OA even with being signed by Boston?
Raaymakers is a pretty solid Oa for London.

If not then losing the scoring from mattinen, Saigeon , salinitri and most likely losing eggenberger and Keyser makes a few holes for next year.

I’m sure Hunt will be looking for that number one goalie though. But we will need at least two other scorers next year as well to compete with Ottawa.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
So I guess that didn’t work out how I hoped losing all three this weekend.

I wish some of our guys played a little heavier. Realistically it looks like an east final of Ottawa vs Niagara now.

We will put up a tough challenge though in a second rd series but ultimately don’t match up well with Ottawa or niagara.

Is there any way Keyser returns as an OA even with being signed by Boston?
Raaymakers is a pretty solid Oa for London.

If not then losing the scoring from mattinen, Saigeon , salinitri and most likely losing eggenberger and Keyser makes a few holes for next year.

I’m sure Hunt will be looking for that number one goalie though. But we will need at least two other scorers next year as well to compete with Ottawa.

No, Keyser won't be back. Raaymakers never got drafted or signed which is why he's back.

OTT loses 5 of their top 6 scorers after this year (Felhaber, Maksimovich, Chiodo, Chmelevski, Hoefenmayer. Won't lose Keating)

Gens will lose 2 of their top 6 scorers (Saigeon and Salinitri. Won't lose Noel/Neumann/McShane/MacLean)

Wonder if Hunt has a chance at some of the USA guys who he's drafted at coming over? John Farinacci would look nice with McShane and Noel next year.....

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Generals looked pretty good to me in the last two games. Real hard luck against Ottawa with a great performance by Andree (wonder if they really needed DiPietro) and they should have been rewarded in the first. Happened to the Wolves times. London has obviously really got some weapons, Foudy to me is lights out. Anyway should be interesting between our two teams. The Generals have a good team with some size, goaltending and talent. Objectively their program seems like it may be ahead of ours by a bit but of course they have to battle it out. I doubt its any great revelation to say like many I consider the Wolves and Gennies in the second tier.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Generals looked pretty good to me in the last two games. Real hard luck against Ottawa with a great performance by Andree (wonder if they really needed DiPietro) and they should have been rewarded in the first. Happened to the Wolves times. London has obviously really got some weapons, Foudy to me is lights out. Anyway should be interesting between our two teams. The Generals have a good team with some size, goaltending and talent. Objectively their program seems like it may be ahead of ours by a bit but of course they have to battle it out. I doubt its any great revelation to say like many I consider the Wolves and Gennies in the second tier.
Caught most of the Sportsnet game on Saturday. Generals skated really well and kept up with Ottawa the whole game I thought, but just seemed to outclassed when it came to finishing skill. Obviously Ottawa is probably the most skilled team at finishing in the league so it's not surprising.

road warrior

May 25, 2014
I think the Gens outplayed Ottawa for the majority of both games but too many defensive letdowns cost them both games.

I thought Ottawa completely outplayed the Gen’s Friday night.
67’s pace of play was at an entirely different level than any other team I’ve seen this year. Their anticipation to the puck was incredible. 1 or 2 67’s players continually beat our defence to loose pucks & kept us bottled up in our end, even while Ottawa changed sometimes. In transition the 67’s had 1 speed - fast forward - they immediately pushed the play up ice into our end with great pace.
Gen’s where playing their normal game, that’s good against most opponents.
But against Ottawa that wasn’t close to good enough. Their players where obviously committed to giving their all every shift.

I didn’t see the Saturday game.

On Sunday despite being outshot by London - it was a great game & I thought we where going to win. It was a special teams game & we came up just a touch short. Foudy’s shorty was a killer - if we’d have scored on that pp instead of giving 1 up - I think we’d have won.

A really tough quirk in the schedule - playing 3 in 3 against the top 2 teams in the league.
Glad that’s out of the way.

Last edited:

FriedmansBaldSpot

Dec 10, 2009
Man.. what is going on with the team? Granted, I haven't been watching a few games since the trades.. but I wasn't expecting these kind of outcomes. For those who have been watching, is it a case of the new guys still trying to mesh? or something else?

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
No, whoever spoke to you likely played the injury down so it would not detract from the trade. I think many, if not most, hockey guys don't always tell the truth when it comes to injuries. They minimize them with wishful thinking (to put it kindly)!

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
No, whoever spoke to you likely played the injury down so it would not detract from the trade. I think many, if not most, hockey guys don't always tell the truth when it comes to injuries. They minamize them with wishful thinking (to put it kindly)!

Delete. I DM’d you

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Got it! I was addressing the difference between 'late January' and now, 'mid Feb.', if then? Looking forward to seeing him before I go to Floridia mid month!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens HFBoards Standings:
Last Game Calculated: Jan 27 vs LDN

GensFan2k2: 42
GeneralsUpdates: 37
GeneralConversation: 28
Pepsihead: 10
AWagner3018: 10
Sakic19: 6
ThreeDogNight: 3
GensBrandon: 3
EnjoyTheO: 2
FriedmansBaldSpot: 1
SeniorJuniorFan: 1

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The powerplay, Salinitri, McShane, Mattinen, Saigeon, Tullio were all really good in January

The PK needs to be better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad