Confirmed with Link: Orpik returns! 1YR, $1M

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Penguins fans have zero room to talk, their team literally violated the spirit of the CBA by having Vegas take Brassards contract and retain 40% so they could fit him on their team. That's ****ing text book colluding to circumvent the salary cap. The Caps and Avs did everything above board, every team in the league had the ability to resign Orpik at his reduced rate.
I didn't have a problem with that deal then and I don't think the Caps win the Stanley Cup if Brassard goes to Winnipeg.

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
I see the glee of this spring has not worn off. Which, it hasn't for me either, but I just don't like this move. You guys are assuming (hopeful?) that Orpik will not only duplicate a level performance he rarely reached with us and he will do so over a bigger sample of games.

I just don't see it.

He'll also be impeding the development of younger guys, not to mention dragging down whoever he's partnered with.

Reactions: SBraun

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I see the glee of this spring has not worn off. Which, it hasn't for me either, but I just don't like this move. You guys are assuming (hopeful?) that Orpik will not only duplicate a level performance he rarely reached with us and he will do so over a bigger sample of games.

I just don't see it.

He'll also be impeding the development of younger guys, not to mention dragging down whoever he's partnered with.
I don’t understand this POV. Why would you assume that BMac and Reirden don’t have a sensible plan to use 1 year of Orpik as part of developing the young guys? He’s old. Everyone knows that, but he’s a conditioning freak, and with Beags gone he’s the only one they have. He’s also basically the most respected guy in the room. And he’s a warrior. In GMBM we trust!

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t understand this POV. Why would you assume that BMac and Reirden don’t have a sensible plan to use 1 year of Orpik as part of developing the young guys? He’s old. Everyone knows that, but he’s a conditioning freak, and with Beags gone he’s the only one they have. He’s also basically the most respected guy in the room. And he’s a warrior. In GMBM we trust!

I don’t f***ing get the people that treat players with that kind of disregard.....I just don’t.

Last edited by a moderator:

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
I don’t understand this POV. Why would you assume that BMac and Reirden don’t have a sensible plan to use 1 year of Orpik as part of developing the young guys? He’s old. Everyone knows that, but he’s a conditioning freak, as with Beags gone he’s the only one they have. He’s also basically the most respected guy in the room. And he’s a warrior. In GMBM we trust!

Whatever trade secrets Orpik will be whispering into (presumably) Bowey's ear will not be as valuable as Bowey playing. The most important thing young players need to develop is playing time. That will never not be true.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Whatever trade secrets Orpik will be whispering into (presumably) Bowey's ear will not be as valuable as Bowey playing. The most important thing young players need to develop is playing time. That will never not be true.
They just gave Bowey a big raise for 2 years while working it out so they could pay Orpik less than Bowey and for half as long. What part of that says to you that Bowey won’t get ice?

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
They just gave Bowey a big raise for 2 years while working it out so they could pay Orpik less than Bowey and for half as long. What part of that says to you that Bowey won’t get ice?

I said before that this is an assumption on my part and would love to be proven wrong. I'm doubtful though.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Growing pains. That’s where Bowey is at and we don’t now if he will come out the other side a legit NHLer.

Orpik knows where he stands. He’s making the same as Bowey and Bowey has term. The conversation between Brooks and management has taken place and Brooks wants to be here. He is ok with a reduced role and he knows that if he is able to bring what he did in the playoffs just past, he likely plays.

We had zero injuries to our defenders in the playoffs which was extremely lucky. We have constantly been burnt in the past by our bottom pair in playoffs. I would much rather have a known dependable face sitting at 6-7 instead of relying on kids or having to make a trade.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

I just don't see it.

They needed to add a defenseman on a 1 year deal, pretty good result with that in mind. 164 games plus whatever the top 4 miss between Orpik, Djoos, and Bowey.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Don't even care if Orpik is a disaster this year, I want him back for sentimental reasons. Bring 'em all back for another shot!

Either that or trade Bura, a d prospect and picks to upgrade at wing or D. But it's too late for that.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I said before that this is an assumption on my part and would love to be proven wrong. I'm doubtful though.

I'm guessing you're a half-empty type?

main-qimg-012d19bb7badfedb796703a26f971a37-c

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Last year there were a ton of injuries on D and young guys were thrust into bigger roles than they had earned. Orpik's perf bonus is based on him playing 20 or 40 games, so the expection is for him to play roughly half the season, maybe more, maybe less. Bowey will get his chances to play, but he'll have to earn a regular jersey job by being better than the 6th guy, which right now is Brooks Orpik . Djoos got his chance last year and earned his spot to start in the playoffs. Bowey had the very same opportunity and didn't take it. He'll have the same opportunity this year as well. Its up to him to sieze it, not up to the Caps to gift it to him just because he's here.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
What's the logic behind this performance bonus stuff?

Does it mean the Caps said smth like "Brooks, we're not sure how many games you'll play, and we don't want to be on the hook for the whole amount if we end up playing the young guys"...? And Orpik replied "Sure, I'm basically retired until playoffs, if you'll need me earlier then just give me a bit of extra lunch money"...?

Just seems weird that there are performance bonuses attached to a salary this small. Does this even help them with deadline cap space, or are they on the hook for the full amount, anyway?

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010

A little late to the party, but the bolded is true only in the context of appropriate skill level. We can remember players whose development was likely harmed by being thrown into NHL games on a full-time basis a bit too early in their careers. Eminger and Sutherby come to mind (yeah, it's arguable how far either may have progressed, but that's not the point here). Anyway, having Orpik allows Rierden (sp?) to sit one of the kids when the match-up isn't the best or the last change isn't available. Bowey in particular last year showed he needs to be eased in and maybe will benefit from sitting every now and then. Guys who aren't quite up to the NHL game and have to pass waivers before being sent down - to get that all-important playing time - will be sitting periodically anyway whenever there's an experienced vet available to spell them. In other words, if not Orpik, it would have been someone else close to or >30.

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
A little late to the party, but the bolded is true only in the context of appropriate skill level. We can remember players whose development was likely harmed by being thrown into NHL games on a full-time basis a bit too early in their careers. Eminger and Sutherby come to mind (yeah, it's arguable how far either may have progressed, but that's not the point here). Anyway, having Orpik allows Rierden (sp?) to sit one of the kids when the match-up isn't the best or the last change isn't available. Bowey in particular last year showed he needs to be eased in and maybe will benefit from sitting every now and then. Guys who aren't quite up to the NHL game and have to pass waivers before being sent down - to get that all-important playing time - will be sitting periodically anyway whenever there's an experienced vet available to spell them. In other words, if not Orpik, it would have been someone else close to or >30.

Yes, prospects need an appropriate level of "seasoning" at the lower levels as a part of the development of their game. I'm not sure where I said they didn't. But after they get seasoning what needs to happen? It surely isn't sitting.

Different situations, but we literally just saw what can happen when a young-ish player gets an opportunity to play with the emergence of Kempny.

But if Orpik plays >25 (my number) games or so, then I suppose this is fine.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What's the logic behind this performance bonus stuff?

Does it mean the Caps said smth like "Brooks, we're not sure how many games you'll play, and we don't want to be on the hook for the whole amount if we end up playing the young guys"...? And Orpik replied "Sure, I'm basically retired until playoffs, if you'll need me earlier then just give me a bit of extra lunch money"...?

Just seems weird that there are performance bonuses attached to a salary this small. Does this even help them with deadline cap space, or are they on the hook for the full amount, anyway?

Makes him whole on the $4.5 mil he was due this season, just stretched out over two years now?

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
Last year there were a ton of injuries on D and young guys were thrust into bigger roles than they had earned. Orpik's perf bonus is based on him playing 20 or 40 games, so the expection is for him to play roughly half the season, maybe more, maybe less. Bowey will get his chances to play, but he'll have to earn a regular jersey job by being better than the 6th guy, which right now is Brooks Orpik . Djoos got his chance last year and earned his spot to start in the playoffs. Bowey had the very same opportunity and didn't take it. He'll have the same opportunity this year as well. Its up to him to sieze it, not up to the Caps to gift it to him just because he's here.

Bowey was still better than Orpik last season and Bowey wasn't great. In fact, Orpik was part of the reason Bowey wasn't great. Like, I'm grateful for Brooks' turnaround in the spring, but it just doesn't make any logical sense to think he'll play near that level again, over possibly a longer sample. To me, at least.

I'm gonna take a deep breath though cuz he's signed and there ain't anything I can do about it. He's a Cap so I'll be rooting for him. Welcome back, Brooks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad