Confirmed with Link: Orpik returns! 1YR, $1M

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Orpik was on waivers. Any team could have claimed him. He was ufa. Any team could have made him a deal that he wanted.
I know, but it was a calculated risk. At $5.5M, he wasn’t likely to be picked up, and someone would’ve had to offer him a fairly ludicrous deal to make it worth his while to move, especially if he knew BMac would make him whole after the buyout.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The timing seems a bit suspect. Like we waited for the cap circumventing smoke to clear, before circling back and nabbing him on the cheap.

Of course, we may have been waiting for him to heal up, or decide if he wanted to come back for another year. Look no further than the hit montage from the finals to see he took a pounding. Like the ole warrior that he is, he appeared no worse for wear. IMO he was noticeably less physical after the board from Cedric Punkette.

Probably from the days of Langway and Stevens, I have always liked a LD that hits. Hits hard. I loved his hit on Ian Cole at center ice, where the stick went flying.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The timing seems a bit suspect. Like we waited for the cap circumventing smoke to clear, before circling back and nabbing him on the cheap.

Of course, we may have been waiting for him to heal up, or decide if he wanted to come back for another year. Look no further than the hit montage from the finals to see he took a pounding. Like the ole warrior that he is, he appeared no worse for wear. IMO he was noticeably less physical after the board from Cedric Punkette.

Probably from the days of Langway and Stevens, I have always liked a LD that hits. Hits hard. I loved his hit on Ian Cole at center ice, where the stick went flying.

I dunno, GMBM said he'd be interested in having him back once he was bought out, right after the trade. GMBM knew this was totally legal, no matter what a bunch of duncecap wearing HF Pens fans think.

Me thinks Orpik just needed time to consider if he wanted to go out on top, or give it another go. After the bruises cleared up, he said "lets go for it" and we all know, he ain't gonna find a better team to pursue a 3rd Cup than right here.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know, but it was a calculated risk. At $5.5M, he wasn’t likely to be picked up, and someone would’ve had to offer him a fairly ludicrous deal to make it worth his while to move, especially if he knew BMac would make him whole after the buyout.

My point is that Orpik being traded, waived, bought out, and signed as a it a isn't a shady move.

Reactions: JenniferH

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Goose Ole RH the conspiracy theory.
Explain how this is cap circumventing? And what smoke would clear?

Reactions: JenniferH

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Every team had the opportunity to claim him, and then make him an offer. Pens fans are just looking for a reason to dog the Caps, as usual, if they're complaining about this. Bonus pain for Orpik feeding them crow and winning another Cup, then coming back cheap, I guess. Gotta find something to whine about in p-town.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
images

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Just to add, he got a full no trade clause. For some random reason if they wanted to trade him, he can block to everywhere

Also the bonus is 250k for playing in 20 games and another 250k for playing in 40 games

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just to add, he got a full no trade clause. For some random reason if they wanted to trade him, he can block to everywhere

Also the bonus is 250k for playing in 20 games and another 250k for playing in 40 games

Where did you see this?

Doesn't seem like a big deal since it's only a 1 year deal and they could still bury his entire salary in the minors if they absolutely need the cap space.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Doesn't seem like a big deal since it's only a 1 year deal and they could still bury his entire salary in the minors if they absolutely need the cap space.
I've seen this mentioned but since he's a 35+ contract he can't be buried in the minors to gain cap relief. Not that it would be a likely possibility either way.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Penguins fans have zero room to talk, their team literally violated the spirit of the CBA by having Vegas take Brassards contract and retain 40% so they could fit him on their team. That's f***ing text book colluding to circumvent the salary cap. The Caps and Avs did everything above board, every team in the league had the ability to resign Orpik at his reduced rate.

The Caps simply did two things that were savvy and it's pissing people off. They legally dumped a bad contract, Happens all the time. They signed a guy to a cap friendly one year deal. 29 other teams had a shot at taking Orpik at his previous hit, 29 other teams had a shot at signing Orpik at his current cap hit. There is nothing being circumvented there.

The Brassard thing was collusion up and down. They incentivized a low cap team to take all the heavy lifting on the contract so he could fit on a cap maxed team. Part of the purpose of the current CBA is to prevent an NBA like situation with all of the best players on the same team. If the Brassard thing becomes common there isn't a lot to stop a team like Toronto from doing something like this.

Toronto receive:

Patrick Kane

Phoenix receive:
first round pick and a prospect
retain 40% of Kane's contract

Chicago receive:
3 first round picks, 3 prospects

Point being is that teams can load up on star power while never actually taking the cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad