Confirmed with Link: Orpik returns! 1YR, $1M

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Bowey was still better than Orpik last season and Bowey wasn't great. In fact, Orpik was part of the reason Bowey wasn't great. Like, I'm grateful for Brooks' turnaround in the spring, but it just doesn't make any logical sense to think he'll play near that level again, over possibly a longer sample. To me, at least.

I'm gonna take a deep breath though cuz he's signed and there ain't anything I can do about it. He's a Cap so I'll be rooting for him. Welcome back, Brooks.
I think Carlson played with Bowey almost exclusively, and I’d give credit to Carlson for propping Bowey up. Djoos played mostly with Orpik, on one hand I’d expect Djoos to show more offensively with Orpik never jumping up but I think back to him grappling with Perron in the finals who’s got 50 lb on him so maybe that’s Orpiks influence.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
His actual salary was $4.5, only his cap hit was higher.

I have it at $4.5 buyout = $3 mil at 2/3 value paid over 2 years.

Add the 1.5 he’s going to earn this year and he’s made whole, just paid over 2 years.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Literally zero downside to this. Saw it on my Facebook and was really happy, which I thought I'd never say--to be happy to bring back Orpik. Love this team and GMBM.

The downside is development. It feels like a step back to me. I wanted two rookies in the lineup to start to see what they could accomplish. Caps won the Cup they are playing with house money this season as no one really cares what they do. Make the playoffs, get that extra money for Ted and then whatever.

Same with Beagle honestly, I will be happy with another kid, not Dowd, who gets a chance to shine like Stephenson did. Beyond faceoffs, Beagle was garbage last season and it was time to move on.

I like Orpik but there is just no way that if he is healthy he wont be in the lineup every game. He and Reirden go back like ten years now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We will get our 2 rookies plenty. Kempny will get games with Bowey and Carlson with DJoos.

I cannot recall Carlson and Bowey ever playing together.

Orpik is a classic vet 7. Bowey and Djoos will dictate how long he stays there. We didn't ink him to scratch a kid. We needed a vet 7, and we know what we are getting.

Again, very well played by BMac.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Are we really complaining because of speculation that a 23yr old d-man who played 51 games in his rookie year might not get enough ice time next season on a team that's virtually the same as one that finally won us a Cup???

Cup Team repeat chance >>>>>> worrying about Bowey getting ice time for a year

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think Carlson played with Bowey almost exclusively, and I’d give credit to Carlson for propping Bowey up. Djoos played mostly with Orpik, on one hand I’d expect Djoos to show more offensively with Orpik never jumping up but I think back to him grappling with Perron in the finals who’s got 50 lb on him so maybe that’s Orpiks influence.
Bowey was paired with Orpik almost every shift. Djoos didnt get paired with Orpik until late in the season and throughout the playoffs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Losing both Orpik & Beagle in one off-season, their top two PKers, wasn't going to be filled internally. At least not likely. There was a narrow road to that with AJF up front and ramping up Kempny's PK usage but there are still valued on-ice components in Orpik's game (of which PKing is one).

There's perhaps a looming issue where Alexeyev leapfrogs a number of the Hershey D but so be it. Players in Hershey need to have the mentality that they have to strive to steal spots rather than be gifted them. None of them are truly accomplished enough to the point where that's on the table. Stephenson got a chance due to injuries and ran with it. That may have to be the slight window that many will need going forward. Many of these guys will need to dominate the AHL and then wait for an opportunity. That's how it should be. Even after winning a Cup, there's still the issue of Reirden wanting to prove himself as capable and trying to make it seamless in terms of on-ice success and confidence.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Who would be gifted a spot? Not sure it'd take much to be better than Orpik. :laugh:
It would in terms of the role. The threshold would be someone coming in sort of seamlessly with the poise of Djoos, minimal errors and the ability to pitch in offensively. It's a lot to ask for a D with limited pro experience. It's not even a matter of gifting but just leaving a spot open for a group of them. That hasn't been earned yet IMO. As-is there are two depth forward spots open and maybe the back-up job but I'd still tend to look at veterans at both center and back-up. That looks to be down to Letestu, Shore, Vermette & Stajan up front and then Lehtonen, Pavelec & Mason between the pipes. Small trades or waivers could be other options.

Aside from Samsonov, there's no one in the system that's a lock to be in the lineup going forward and that should motivate all of them to gun for spots and put a chip on their shoulders. Some players may lack opportunity but it's on them to beat that door down.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Whatever trade secrets Orpik will be whispering into (presumably) Bowey's ear will not be as valuable as Bowey playing. The most important thing young players need to develop is playing time. That will never not be true.

thats not it, though. It's also being around someone who foes things "the right way", all the time. You cant screw around when the guy next to you isnt. Least, its a lot harder.

PLUS, and the thing that I havent seen mentioned yet.

Orpik IS Reirden's #1 guy. His sounding board, his voice in the room, all of that. Sure...Ovechkin is the C, and should be the HC's top guy...and that will happen too. BUT, for the past 4 years, Reirden has been the D coach. His top lieutenant has been Orpik. That wont just immediately change now thats hes top dog. Caps should want to do all they can to help Reirden make this adjustment to HC...and having his #1 around to help him is a very smart move.

He may not need to lean on 44. But if he does...there he is. Thats HUGE, IMO.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Are we really complaining because of speculation that a 23yr old d-man who played 51 games in his rookie year might not get enough ice time next season on a team that's virtually the same as one that finally won us a Cup???

Game, set, match? Come on guys.....seriously.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orpik is a classic vet 7.

Umm...nah. Orpik is not on the roster to be the scratch.

He is a primary pk and defensive situational player. Niskanen is the only other 1 if those the Caps have. None of Kempny, Djoos or Bowey do that. Late in playoff games with a lead Orpik took Kemony's spot with Carlson.

He's not the 7. Period.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The idea that Bowey was better than Orpik last season is laughable. Geez...it's hilarious
During the regular season both were bad. I think there's an argument to be made that one wasn't particularly better than the other and their D pairing clearly wasn't working

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
During the regular season both were bad. I think there's an argument to be made that one wasn't particularly better than the other and their D pairing clearly wasn't working

A slow veteran can only cover so many turnovers and bad reads by a rookie. Bowey's decision making was bad. Orpik did what he does well, well. In the playoffs the style of game comes to him and he is better.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
A slow veteran can only cover so many turnovers and bad reads by a rookie. Bowey's decision making was bad. Orpik did what he does well, well. In the playoffs the style of game comes to him and he is better.
I really don't feel like arguing with you because no matter what anyone says you will always take Orpik's side of things. Always have and you always will. Orpik and Bowey were both bad during the regular season and had no business being paired together. I doubt they throw them out there together again and the opening night pairings will most likely be the same as the SC clinching game baring any unforeseen injuries or major improvements from our young LD in Hershey

Reactions: RandyHolt and 895

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I really don't feel like arguing with you because no matter what anyone says you will always take Orpik's side of things. Always have and you always will. Orpik and Bowey were both bad during the regular season and had no business being paired together. I doubt they throw them out there together again and the opening night pairings will most likely be the same as the SC clinching game baring any unforeseen injuries or major improvements from our young LD in Hershey
Bowey had no business being up with the Caps. He look overwhelmed often, and his decision making was cringe worthy.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002

Orpik's coming back certainly hurts Bowey. I think you are right in that Bowey/Orpik pairing was bad....due to both players, so its going to be a tepid allowance to do it again.

Opening night, I would imagine that the D pairings would look just like they did closing night of 2018.

9-2
6-74
44-29

Injuries will allow for Bowey and Orpik to play in the lineup (perhaps not together, either). But with a fully healthy team, I dont see BOTH Bowey and Orpik playing. And to think Orpik is 7 is probably wrong. Bowey is 7.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

The big picture is always missed by some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->