Confirmed with Link: Orpik returns! 1YR, $1M

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Have to assume wilson deal done too right? Otherwise wouldn't they have waited on orpik in case they needed that money?
Not necessarily, I don't think they were going over $1.5M on Orpik or $4.5M on Wilson.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Have to assume wilson deal done too right? Otherwise wouldn't they have waited on orpik in case they needed that money?
I don't think they'll need the 6 million they have left in cap space for wilson lmao. Highly doubt this means anything about Wilson

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So caps now have 6.27 mil cap space with 13 forwards (not including wilson) 7 defenders and 2 goalie

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Do you think it's fluky? I look at oiS% for defensive guys, seems to correlate somewhat, makes Jerabek look bad, checks out.
It's a stat that would always be seen as a knock against him, a sign he was "lucky" and won't be able to replicate his results. If it held up consistently over a very long period of time, it would be worth looking into whether there was a reason for it. It would be better to look at how many scoring chances he allowed and from where, rather than how many happened to get past the goalie in that particular stretch.

Anyway, the signing seems solid to me. They'll have cap room and should be more likely to rest or scratch Orpik throughout the year as appropriate. Bringing in a less-known commodity as the veteran D signing might've tethered them to someone who didn't work out, so I'd much rather have Orpik back for almost nothing.

Reactions: RandyHolt

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I have been the biggest Orpik critic there is but it's hard to complain about 1 year, $1.5M (if he meets his incentives).

Ideally he'll be used in the same way he was this postseason: limited sheltered minutes at ES and a whole bunch of PKing.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Only reservation is how Orpik's body can hold up playing a full season and hopefully another long playoff run
He got hammered a lot this playoffs and I've got doubts if he can handle it, BUT term and salary are great and provide options in case he doesn't work out over the course of the season

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Only reservation is how Orpik's body can hold up playing a full season and hopefully another long playoff run
He got hammered a lot this playoffs and I've got doubts if he can handle it, BUT term and salary are great and provide options in case he doesn't work out over the course of the season
I bet he sits out a bunch in the RS to rest up for another run.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
It's a stat that would always be seen as a knock against him, a sign he was "lucky" and won't be able to replicate his results. If it held up consistently over a very long period of time, it would be worth looking into whether there was a reason for it. It would be better to look at how many scoring chances he allowed and from where, rather than how many happened to get past the goalie in that particular stretch.
Definitely has to match up with the eyeball test, which it did for the playoffs I think. But the regular season advanced stats are brutal.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I like this deal in general. The only downside I can see (mostly just playing devils advocate) is taking away ice time from the young guys. Hopefully they manage that well.

But I like the veteran leadership and depth having Orpik back gives the caps.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I like this deal in general. The only downside I can see (mostly just playing devils advocate) is taking away ice time from the young guys. Hopefully they manage that well.

But I like the veteran leadership and depth having Orpik back gives the caps.

But people here dont want bowey to play lol

Reactions: Silky mitts

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
But people here dont want bowey to play lol

haha. Some don't. But I wouldn't mind giving him more time to develop, especially after an offseason to work on his issues. But there are more young D in the pipeline. (Johansen, Siegenthaler, Hobbs)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I love the signing. I hope he plays about half the games, to further let the kids cut their teeth. Keep him fresh to eat pucks in the post season, something I don't see any of the kids rushing to do just yet. I said it many times over the past few months, the dude is a warrior. And a part time gig is perfect to segue into him coaching, something I suspect is happening.

BMac is a f***ing genius. We are paying the same for Carlson + Orpik as we did last year.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Glad he's back, but hope he sees the bench for the majority of the year. Wanna see what the young guys can do. Johansen/Siegenthaler/Bowey/Djoos

This x10000. Playoffs be damned, he was really, really bad last season. I guarantee he plays 75 plus games if healthy. :mad:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad