Line Combos: Opening Night Roster

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Maybe the make Prince play center :P When is the last time Prince played center? Im guessing some time as a teenager

I doubt Prince is waived. They seem more focused on him having every opportunity to make the team. Guys like Greening and Smith have to prove themelves. Dorion said they think the young guys will start off slow but we'll be better for it long term

I do think this is going to be a competition. I dont think they fully know what they are going into next season with

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hope Prince makes the team, other than that our forward corps is pretty solid, good use another decent defenseman though.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Based on performance last season our forward depth looks like this (italics are guys who aren't regulars in the lineup)

C
Turris
Zibanejad
Lazar
Pageau
Smith

LW
Hoffman
MacArthur
Michalek
Greening

RW
Stone
Ryan
Chiasson
Neil

I think Prince will outplay Smith/Greening/Neil at training camp, but even if he doesn't it is still worth keeping him as the 13th forward over any of those guys. If they plan on keeping 8 dmen with Wideman then one of GSN must be moved to make room for Prince. I don't think this team has ever waived a guy who was signed to a 1-way contract.

Hope Puempel or Paul can play their way on and force Murray to get rid of both Greening and Smith, that would be the dream. I think Neil stays, the org seems to like him as they've had many opportunities to trade him when he was in high demand while the team wasn't particularly good.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Just to flesh it out a bit more, in 2 years time the italics will be gone and the competition will be extremely interesting.

C
Turris
Zibanejad
Lazar
Pageau
Paul
Dzingel
White
Smith

LW
Hoffman
MacArthur
Prince
Puempel
McCormick
Chalapik
Eiserman
Perron
Greening

RW
Stone
Ryan
Michalek
Chiasson
Lindberg
Gagne
Robinson
Neil

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Based on performance last season our forward depth looks like this (italics are guys who aren't regulars in the lineup)

C
Turris
Zibanejad
Lazar
Pageau
Smith

LW
Hoffman
MacArthur
Michalek
Greening

RW
Stone
Ryan
Chiasson
Neil

I think Prince will outplay Smith/Greening/Neil at training camp, but even if he doesn't it is still worth keeping him as the 13th forward over any of those guys. If they plan on keeping 8 dmen with Wideman then one of GSN must be moved to make room for Prince. I don't think this team has ever waived a guy who was signed to a 1-way contract.

Hope Puempel or Paul can play their way on and force Murray to get rid of both Greening and Smith, that would be the dream. I think Neil stays, the org seems to like him as they've had many opportunities to trade him when he was in high demand while the team wasn't particularly good.

If they decide that Lazar is better at centre & decide to put him there that would move Pageau down a notch. IMO Paul will be up with this team sooner rather than later & that would knock Pageau down another notch & possibly off the team. I'd be fine with Turris, Zibanejad, Lazar & Paul down the middle. Lindberg & Robinson will also find themselves in Ottawa sooner rather than later or at least after the trade deadline next yr.

With the exception of Wideman, Ottawa doesn't really have anyone who could step into the lineup on defence & be a difference maker. Claesson is a decent player but more subtle than flashy. I like Harpur, Tansey & Jaros but they may still be more than a yr away. I could see a trade of one of Prince or Puempel or even Hoffman to upgrade the defence, if they show this yr that they are unable to develop into better defensemen.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
If they decide that Lazar is better at centre & decide to put him there that would move Pageau down a notch. IMO Paul will be up with this team sooner rather than later & that would knock Pageau down another notch & possibly off the team. I'd be fine with Turris, Zibanejad, Lazar & Paul down the middle. Lindberg & Robinson will also find themselves in Ottawa sooner rather than later or at least after the trade deadline next yr.

With the exception of Wideman, Ottawa doesn't really have anyone who could step into the lineup on defence & be a difference maker. Claesson is a decent player but more subtle than flashy. I like Harpur, Tansey & Jaros but they may still be more than a yr away. I could see a trade of one of Prince or Puempel or even Hoffman to upgrade the defence, if they show this yr that they are unable to develop into better defensemen.

Nobody is knocking Pageau off the team. He is exactly what you want in a bottom six player, and it's pretty clear that management loves him as well. I have no idea why anyone would be anxious to get rid of him. He's the type of player you win with.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I doubt Pageau is going anywhere, between Prince, Puempel, Paul and the other Bingo guys I think it's safe to say that the team will get one decent NHLer (top 9 fwd or top 5 dman) either straight out of camp or at some point during the season. Two if we're lucky and I wouldn't expect any more than that. It's easy to get excited about players on the verge, but most teams probably have 3-4 guys that look like they will challenge for a roster spot every year. Very few of them become regulars and even fewer become impact players. For every Stone/Hoffman there will be several career Greening/Smith types and even more O'Brien/Lee/Daugavins/Zubov/Kaigorodov/Peterssons.

Last edited:

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Based off of everything we've said and done so far:

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Puempel-Smith-Chiasson
Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
Boro, Phillips

Andy
Hammond

is what I've got, although I can definitely see one of Paul or O'Dell sneaking into the lineup with a really good camp

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Nobody is knocking Pageau off the team. He is exactly what you want in a bottom six player, and it's pretty clear that management loves him as well. I have no idea why anyone would be anxious to get rid of him. He's the type of player you win with.

No kidding. I don't think it is a coincidence that Condra and Lazar started to play well when they called Pageau up and made that line play together. Also, when I went to that game last year between the Marlies and the B-Sens, when they sent Pageau down for that game, he was clearly the best player on the ice.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Puempel-Smith-Chiasson
Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
Boro, Phillips

Andy
Hammond

is what I've got, although I can definitely see one of Paul or O'Dell sneaking into the lineup with a really good camp
Yep ,looks about right

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
With the hype Paul and a few others are getting, I would think that what they'd really like to see is

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Prince-Pageau-Lazar
Puempel-Paul-Lindeberg
Dzingel

Next year in any case. Looking at this talent, Cameron will certainly be able to switch up the line combinations if he wishes. Any winger could play with any centre from that list. watching the chemistry potential will be fun.

We need to move on from Greening (AHL, Buyout, Europe), Neil (retire), Smith (trade), Chiasson (trade) and Michalek (trade) for this to play out. That's Murray's next and greatest task.

WhiteLight*

finish off the year with

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Prince-Pageau-Schneider
Puempel-Paul-Lazar
Michalek

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
We aren't working 4 rookies on to this team by the end of the year

We did last year (Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, Lazar); 5 if you count Puempel who some thought would stick.; and that does not count Borowiecki or Hammond.

Puempel, Prince, Wideman will make the team out of Training Camp, if the contact space allows.

Paul is not that far away (allegedly) . Dzingel, Schneider, McCormick and Lindberg are all developing well and project like early possibilities - if there is contract space.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Puempel-Smith-Chiasson
Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
Boro, Phillips

Andy
Hammond

I like this team. Throw in a couple of inevitable injuries and Paul will probably see some ice. One more year of existing youngster growth, they won't throw in a gaggle of prospects again this year.

Jmacd77

May 31, 2015
We did last year (Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, Lazar); 5 if you count Puempel who some thought would stick.; and that does not count Borowiecki or Hammond.

Puempel, Prince, Wideman will make the team out of Training Camp, if the contact space allows.

Paul is not that far away (allegedly) . Dzingel, Schneider, McCormick and Lindberg are all developing well and project like early possibilities - if there is contract space.

finish off the year with

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Prince-Pageau-Schneider
Puempel-Paul-Lazar
Michalek

That would be ideal IMO, but may be a season or two away yet

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

people love to jump to conclusions of their own making. My point is that IMO only, I think that Lazar & Paul are much more likely to play centre for this team in the very near future over Pageau. I'm not anxious to get rid of anyone, it's just an opinion & while I agree he is a pretty good little player I think we have better centres in the organization who are very close to taking a centre roster spot. Both Lazar & Paul IMO are going to be better centres than Pageau.

I doubt Pageau is going anywhere, between Prince, Puempel, Paul and the other Bingo guys I think it's safe to say that the team will get one decent NHLer (top 9 fwd or top 5 dman) either straight out of camp or at some point during the season. Two if we're lucky and I wouldn't expect any more than that. It's easy to get excited about players on the verge, but most teams probably have 3-4 guys that look like they will challenge for a roster spot every year. Very few of them become regulars and even fewer become impact players. For every Stone/Hoffman there will be several career Greening/Smith types and even more O'Brien/Lee/Daugavins/Zubov/Kaigorodov/Peterssons.

Agreed, there are a lot of Greenings & Smith in the organization, lots. But there are also a couple of gems & IMO Lazar, Paul, Lindberg, O'Connor & maybe Harpur could all be gems. Paul in particular IMO has the potential to be much more than a 4th line centre but could work his way up to be the #1 centre at some point in his career. No one is talking about Robinson on here but I often hear the organization talking about him & how close he is to being in the NHL, same for Puempel.

I'd be delighted if Paul bumped Smith out of the lineup at 4C, and not because I don't like Zack Smith.

Agreed, but Paul is good enough to start at 3rd line centre too & then move up from there. I doubt that anyone knocks Pageau out of the lineup this yr but my guess is that Pageua may be expendable, if both Lazar & Paul develop into top 9 players & centres over the next two yrs. Zibanejad, Turris/Lazar, Paul, Smith down the middle could assure some size & strength down the middle for yrs. I know some people don't like Smith & Ottawa could certainly upgrade the 4th line centre through trade which would be easier & cheaper to replace but Smith can play a very effective role as a 4th line centre for Ottawa.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Just like Grant was going to play instead of JGP right Aragorn?

If Paul is replacing anyone it's Smith. JGP is here to stay, much to chagrin of certain posters.

Zib - Turris - Paul - JGP with Lazar on the wing, in the future. Starting next year we go with Zib - Turris - JGP - Smith for now.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

If Paul is replacing anyone it's Smith. JGP is here to stay, much to chagrin of certain posters.

Zib - Turris - Paul - JGP with Lazar on the wing, in the future. Starting next year we go with Zib - Turris - JGP - Smith for now.

Pageau could also play the wing ala St Louis. His IQ and drive are his biggest assets. And he can finish.

Paul at Centre for sure. And I`d like to see Lazar get a shot as a centre. We know he can play RW, but I`d like to see him in his natural position (even in Binghamton for a time). Dzingel is another I`d like to watch this Training Camp. I think he will push for time (which will not be there unless more contracts are sent out).

My bottom 7 would include Prince, Puempel, Pageau, Paul, Lazar & Dzingel in some form.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

and you were on the Connacher band wagon .. we all like certain players & not so much for others. Paul is playing centre during this development camp, while that could change in future it seems for now that the organization like him at centre & he is by far the best player at camp this yr.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
finish off the year with

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Prince-Pageau-Schneider
Puempel-Paul-Lazar
Michalek

I would much rather watch Prince, Puempel, Lazar, Paul get experience than continue to watch Smith, Michalek, Neil, Chiasson do what they do now.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
All i want is MTL ,s luck last season , this season with injuries .A healthy team for a full season would make us an easy P.O. team .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad