Line Combos: Opening Night Roster

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I think you have Prince and Puempel mixed up lol

Interesting to see the different opinions, I actually agreed with him that Puempel is the better goal scorer with the more likely chance to succeed at the NHL level. Too bad he got injured last year, he seemed to be gaining comfort. Not sure about Prince as the energy/speed guy, though, he was much more than that in the OHL and AHL and if he makes it in the NHL I think it will be because he's able to produce offense.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Since the draft I have always thought that the organization valued Puempel over Prince mostly because Puempel was a 1st rd draft pick & we all know how highly they value those. I was convinced after they gave Puempel a lot more games last yr as well & would have kept him there for the remainder of the season I think if he didn't get hurt. I don't know if Puempel will make the team out of camp but he will be given every opportunity. Points aren't everything & while Prince played well in Bingo last yr, we don't know what the organization is looking for exactly. Maybe they asked Puempel to work harder on his defensive game & not worry about scoring goals since they knew he could already do that & wanted him to be a more rounded player. I still think that he will be in Ottawa very soon if not right out of camp.

Obviously with Pageau given a new one way contract he will probably be the 3rd line centre on this team to start the yr. But after watching Nick Paul at the development camp I can't help but think how good this guy is going to be & he is going to challenge for a roster spot real soon. I could see Paul with his size start his NHL career at some point this yr maybe after the trade deadline. I think at some point Lazar & Paul could end up being this team's 3rd & 4th line centres, we`ll see.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Interesting to see the different opinions, I actually agreed with him that Puempel is the better goal scorer with the more likely chance to succeed at the NHL level. Too bad he got injured last year, he seemed to be gaining comfort. Not sure about Prince as the energy/speed guy, though, he was much more than that in the OHL and AHL and if he makes it in the NHL I think it will be because he's able to produce offense.

I think Prince is a better goal scorer then Puempel

Prince brings more to the table in a Top 6 role with his speed & playmaking ability .. Prince being able to create his own offence is a massive bonus ..I see Prince bringing a lot more to a Zibanejad & Ryan line

Puempel plays more of a physical game also scores most of his goals in front or crashing the net I think Puempel would look great and bring a lot to our 3rd line with Pageau & Lazar.

I just hope we can find away to get these goal scorers in our line up this season

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Puempel-Smith-Chiasson

Prince first call-up and probably sticks if Chiasson not playing well.

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Boro
Wideman

Wideman first call-up and sticks if Cowen isn't playing well... or Wiercioch.

Anderson
Hammond

No way Murray doesn't show off his new signings.

MacArthur Turris Stone
Hoffman Stortini Ryan
Michalek Zibanejad Lazar
Prince Pageau Chiasson

Methot Karlsson
O'Dell Kostka
Wiercioch Ceci

Hammond
Anderson

LMFAO, I applaud you I laughed so hard, man.

BigBush*

Ya, agree with RKL completely.

Is Prince exempt from waivers? If not, he might get a shot first in the line up

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Dorion made it clear Wideman will have a spot unless he has a terrible camp and loses it. Dorion brought up Prince as needing to be on the team and cited him being the 6th highest ahl scorer. He then brought up Puempel needing a spot on the team

Basically said Lazar will play Lw, C or Rw if they need him to. Sounds like he will be starting on the team

My guess.... Greening AND Smith will be Ahl bound and Lazar will play center

So ya.....Wideman is starting the year on the team unless he blows it badly

Didnt mention Schneider

Wideman, Prince and Puempel being on the team. Is there room?

Dorion seems very high on Prince and Puempel

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hoff-Zibby-Ryan
Mac-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Pageau-Prince
Puempel-Lazar-Chiasson
Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Wier-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
Boro
Phillips

Anderson
Hammond

Hoffman and Puempel will be switched if needed

Based on what management has said.
1) Cowen will be played regardless of performance
2) Puempel is wanted on the team
3) Prince is wanted on the team
4) Wideman is on the team unless he screws up badly
5) Nothing has been guranteed to Greening other then he wont be bought out
6) Dizzy and Robinson have an opportunity
7) Paul has an opportunity
8) Murray thinks Michalek can fill condra role on Pageau's line
9) Neil and Phillips will not be everyday players

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'm not trying to be totally pompous here but you're saying it's odd the senators front office staff doesn't agree with your player assessment? I think for you to say that draft order directly determines prospect depth is an insult to the strong scouting staff we have led by PD.

Don't quite understand what you were trying to imply, everyone is entitled to an opinion don't get me wrong but this post is a laugh and a half hah

Puempel has 1 less year as a pro then Prince. He migth develop more and is still pretty raw. Hes grown a lot in the last 3 years

Prince might actually be the best forward in his league

I mean maybe Puempel skill set will translate better(he does score alot of ahl pp points not sure if thats good) but Prince might be the best forward in the AHL. Hes in that discussion...Puempel isnt

Dorion actually mentioned Prince's name first when he was asked which young guys he wants on the team then he mentioned Puempel. That might not mean anything but point is they want both of them in the NHL

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Puempel has 1 less year as a pro then Prince. He migth develop more and is still pretty raw. Hes grown a lot in the last 3 years

Prince might actually be the best forward in his league

I mean maybe Puempel skill set will translate better(he does score alot of ahl pp points not sure if thats good) but Prince might be the best forward in the AHL. Hes in that discussion...Puempel isnt

Dorion actually mentioned Prince's name first when he was asked which young guys he wants on the team then he mentioned Puempel. That might not mean anything but point is they want both of them in the NHL

The question is who do they bump? I have a hard time believing we miraculously offload Smith, Neil, Chiasson or Greening in the offseason. Puemple specifically could be sent down regardless because he is exempt. Realistically I think Prince or Puemple start the year in the AHL and come up to cover injuries.

Puemple-Paul-Prince (P cubed?) line would be pretty sweet in the AHL to start the year.

I'm guessing

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zbad-Ryan
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Prince-Smith-Chiasson
Neil

Karlsson-Methot
Wier-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
Boro/Philips

Anderson
Hammond

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The question is who do they bump? I have a hard time believing we miraculously offload Smith, Neil, Chiasson or Greening in the offseason. Puemple specifically could be sent down regardless because he is exempt. Realistically I think Prince or Puemple start the year in the AHL and come up to cover injuries.

Puemple-Paul-Prince (P cubed?) line would be pretty sweet in the AHL to start the year.

I'm guessing

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zbad-Ryan
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Prince-Smith-Chiasson
Neil

Karlsson-Methot
Wier-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
Boro/Philips

Anderson
Hammond

Smith and Greening imo

GuidedRightly

Dec 3, 2013
Dubai
MacAthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibby - Ryan
Michalek - Pageau - Prince
Puempel - Lazar - Chiasson
(Neil)

Methot - King Karl
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Wideman
(Phillips/Boro)

I am hoping Smith and Greening start in the A. Let's keep giving the youngsters oppurtinuties.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Pageau - Lazar
Prince - Smith - Chiasson
Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Borowiecki
Phillips, Wideman

Anderson
Hammond

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
As some here have indicated, Greening and Smith - if not traded - could be bound for the AHL. Best of both worlds if they are. Interesting to see what Chiasson gets in arbitration. Maybe Sens walk away to clear the spot. From the comments made coming from Development Camp, Paul is a man among boys and is ready. He'll start in Binghamton, and Lazar centres the 4th line, but I hope its not an issue of a poor contract blocking his chance to play here. If he earns it, he could be up by December Prince and Wideman will not clear waivers, so need a place on the roster. Puempel gets lots of love as well. And hopefully Phillips retires.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Prince - Pageau - Michalek
Puempel - Paul - Lazar
Chiasson?, Neil?

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Borowiecki
Wideman

Anderson
Hammond

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Assuming all 8 D are on the roster opening night and MacArthur, Turris Stone, Ryan, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Michalek and Pageau are set in stone, there are 5 spots for Lazar, Puempel, Prince, Chiasson, Neil, Smith and Greening to fight for.

I think it's a given that Greening starts in the AHL, so that leaves 6 guys for 5 spots. Lazar and Puempel are waiver exempt, so I could see management starting one in the minors to buy some time or give a longer look to Prince before deciding.

Smith might be safe because he's the only LH center I think. Maybe if Paul makes the team he gets bumped but I think that's a longshot.

Neil is a long time vet and unlikely to be waived or demoted. He'll likely be our 13th forward.

Chiasson is a recent acquisition; might be hard to give up on him so quickly.

Like it or not, unless someone is injured, my expectation is that one of Lazar, Puempel, or Prince doesn't make the team on opening night. I wouldn't mind seeing someone traded to give us more flexibility, but I don't really expect it.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Assuming all 8 D are on the roster opening night and MacArthur, Turris Stone, Ryan, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Michalek and Pageau are set in stone, there are 5 spots for Lazar, Puempel, Prince, Chiasson, Neil, Smith and Greening to fight for.

I think it's a given that Greening starts in the AHL, so that leaves 6 guys for 5 spots. Lazar and Puempel are waiver exempt, so I could see management starting one in the minors to buy some time or give a longer look to Prince before deciding.

Smith might be safe because he's the only LH center I think. Maybe if Paul makes the team he gets bumped but I think that's a longshot.

Neil is a long time vet and unlikely to be waived or demoted. He'll likely be our 13th forward.

Chiasson is a recent acquisition; might be hard to give up on him so quickly.

Like it or not, unless someone is injured, my expectation is that one of Lazar, Puempel, or Prince doesn't make the team on opening night. I wouldn't mind seeing someone traded to give us more flexibility, but I don't really expect it.

I think you are correct that Paul starts in the AHL, but if he earns a roster spot, its a shame that he has to. That might mean Smith has to play, but he's not at the level of the other two he'd be playing with. He needs to re-find that other gear.

I wonder if Cameron changes up his lines from the end of last year.

Of the rest, Puempel would be the one I'd think sent back. Lazar can replace Smith if it doesn't go well.

Moving on from Smith, Neil, Greening at a minimum is a must if we are going to get a playoff spot. This team is getting so close to being a contender. Just a couple of pieces away, and they may be playing at Development Camp now.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Puempel-Smith-Chiasson

Prince first call-up and probably sticks if Chiasson not playing well.

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Boro
Wideman

Wideman first call-up and sticks if Cowen isn't playing well... or Wiercioch.

Anderson
Hammond

I am almost 100% in agreement with this, though not with Hoffman on the top line, I think Mac should get the chance there to start:

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Michalek - Pageau - Lazar
Puempel - Smith - Chiasson

I think that Nick Paul has a real chance to come up first.

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercoch - Ceci
Cowen - Boro
Wideman

Andy
Burglar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad