Line Combos: Opening Night Roster

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Unless there is a trade to move out a player or two, there only seems to be room for one other player, if they intend on carrying a 23 man roster. Of course, lots of things could change between now & the start of the season.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Pageau - Lazar
Chiasson - Z. Smith - Neil/Greening

- Puempel coul make the roster out of training camp & Lazar could be sent to Bingo to regain his offensive game.
- Neil could be replaced by B. Robinson by the trade deadline

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Boroweicki/Phillips

- Wideman should be the first injury callup

Anderson - Hammond

Last edited:

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Puempel - Pageau - Michalek
Chiasson - Z. Smith - Neil/Greening

- Neil should be replaced by B. Robinson by the trade deadline.

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Boroweicki/Phillips

- Wideman should be the first injury callup

Anderson - Hammond

Why would the Sens split up the top 6 that carried them into the playoffs last year?

Macarthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan

Those lines have great chemistry; in my eyes there is no reason to start the season with anything different.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why would the Sens split up the top 6 that carried them into the playoffs last year?

Macarthur - Turris - Stone

Those lines have great chemistry; in my eyes there is no reason to start the season with anything different.

You are probably right, I prefer the young guys together & the older guys together. I also think Ryan plays better with MacArthur & Turris than he does with Zibanejad & Hoffman & I would like to see what Stone could do with those two, hopefully increase Zibanejad`s scoring.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
You are probably right, I prefer the young guys together & the older guys together. I also think Ryan plays better with MacArthur & Turris than he does with Zibanejad & Hoffman & I would like to see what Stone could do with those two, hopefully increase Zibanejad`s scoring.

Definitely agree on Ryan being better with Turris & Mac. I could also see Stone's thievery and vision benefiting Zib & Hoff in a big way. I'd give it a go to start the season and see how things work.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Definitely agree on Ryan being better with Turris & Mac. I could also see Stone's thievery and vision benefiting Zib & Hoff in a big way. I'd give it a go to start the season and see how things work.

I like Stone with Turris and Mac. I see more production keeping them together.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Prince - Pageau - Michalek
Peumpel - Smith- Chiasson
Neil
Greening - Bingo to start
Lazar - Bingo to start

Methot - Karlsson
Weir - Ceci
Cowan - Wideman
Boro - 7th to start
Philips - press box

I think Smith & Chiasson will be moved to make room for Paul and Lazar

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just to flesh it out a bit more, in 2 years time the italics will be gone and the competition will be extremely interesting.

C
Turris
Zibanejad
Lazar
Pageau
Paul
Dzingel
White
Smith

LW
Hoffman
MacArthur
Prince
Puempel
McCormick
Chalapik
Eiserman
Perron
Greening

RW
Stone
Ryan
Michalek
Chiasson
Lindberg
Gagne
Robinson
Neil

Can't put Lazar ahead of Pageau until he outperforms him

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
what i want (considering what we have):

macarthur - turris - ryan

they worked that one time.

hoffman - zibanejad - stone

i think stone brings more to this line than ryan does. a real smart player that will succeed on any line. he makes plays out of nothing and will find both of these guys in the slot.

prince - lazar - michalek

fast line. lazar and michalek help ease prince into the nhl. i feel both michalek and lazar are good offensively, and an offensive catalyst like prince will help get them going.

puempel - pageau - condra chiasson

pageau should set the pace for this line and make some plays. puempel can bury pucks. chiasson can skate around having a good time.

extra: smith - great faceoff guy that can sub in and be responsible. it's too bad he's never been the same since that injury he got a few years ago.

where did greening and neil go you ask? away. they went away.

methot - karlsson

wiercioch - ceci

closed out the year decently together. a year of growth from both these players should help them do better this time around.

cowen - wideman

management wants to get cowen some play time. with wideman they can tell cowen to just give him the puck and let him move it. i have a bad feeling that this pairing is going to get a lot of penalties, lol.

extra: borocop - really, really tough leaving him off the starting six. borocop has won me over. he's a lot more disciplined than he was in the ahl and is the exact same hard working physical guy he was down there. he's an excellent sub in, and could take someone's spot early in the season.

anderson
hammond

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
i'm not overly worried about prince on waivers after camp. They sent greening down this year, not sure why they wouldnt do it again. Sounds like murray thinks he's done, which isnt necessarily bad, just means we're relying on internal improvement again.

Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Prince-Smith-Chiasson
Neil

*I think puempel still has a year of waiver exemption left. So he gets sent down with greening.

Wideman is another story, because we pretty much have to guarantee him an NHL spot to sign him. I doubt anyone is offering wideman a guaranteed top six spot, and wideman can probably grab 40-50 games with this lineup. I am a bit worried that he hasnt signed yet... if he isnt signed tomorrow it's probably a sign that he's going somewhere else on wednesday.

I think we're fine now with:

Meth-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Wiercioch-Borowicki
Phillips-Wideman

Looks about right. Michalek is a natural to replace condra, puempel is stuck in a numbers game, prince is waiver eligible.

Fight out of the gates in training camp between puempel, prince, greening etc.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Swap MAC for hoff,maybe another vet,beside Zibby is the way to go here

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
Realistically what will happen...

Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Greening-Smith-Neil
Chiasson

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Phillips
Wideman
Boro

As said earlier, Neil and Phillips will get the home opener for stupid reasons.....but After that I Expect...

Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Greening-Smith-Chiasson
Neil

Cowen-Wideman
Boro
Phillips

In a super ideal world, Lazar goes to bingo (but that just wont happen even if it helps us manage assets better) and makes the bottom 6 this...

Michalek-Pageau-Chiasson
Prince-Smith-Neil
Greening

then in a super super ideal world Greening gets waived and we can get any of paul/lazar/puempel into the fold.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Realistically what will happen...

Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Greening-Smith-Neil
Chiasson

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Phillips
Wideman
Boro

As said earlier, Neil and Phillips will get the home opener for stupid reasons.....but After that I Expect...

Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
Greening-Smith-Chiasson
Neil

Cowen-Wideman
Boro
Phillips

In a super ideal world, Lazar goes to bingo (but that just wont happen even if it helps us manage assets better) and makes the bottom 6 this...

Michalek-Pageau-Chiasson
Prince-Smith-Neil
Greening

then in a super super ideal world Greening gets waived and we can get any of paul/lazar/puempel into the fold.
Puemple is in before Prince though :nod:

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
at this point its a toss up whos better between the two. But we lose one if we send them down and we don't with the other......so

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Id like to see

Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Puempel-Pageau-Michalek
Chaisson-Smith- Neil

Scratched: Greening

D
Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
scratched: Boro

honestly id rather ceci played on the 3rd pair, it seemed like he was in over his head during the playoffs.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Id like to see

Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Puempel-Pageau-Michalek
Chaisson-Smith- Neil

Scratched: Greening

D
Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
scratched: Boro

honestly id rather ceci played on the 3rd pair, it seemed like he was in over his head during the playoffs.

The D and top 6 is ok. But the bottom 6... eesh. Neil in the lineup? And on the same line as Smith? Chiasson playing off wing?

I'd go with this to start:

TOP 6
Michalek - JGP - Lazar
Prince - Smith - Chiasson
extra: Neil
AHL: Greening, Puempel

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That's debatable. I would put Prince in before Puempel myself. Also there is that waiver eligibility thing, so...
Outside speed vrs a good shooter,bump and grind player with net presence.Puemps game is better suited to where they will likely end up ,hense he was up first

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Outside speed vrs a good shooter,bump and grind player with net presence.Puemps game is better suited to where they will likely end up ,hense he was up first

That's cool except not sure how much net presence Puempel really is. He's more of a sniper with a bit of size. Prince is feistier than you give him credit. I would say that he's more of what you describe above than Puempel, but I think that difference is pretty small.

In any case, waiver eligibility I think will trump any of the above differences.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That's cool except not sure how much net presence Puempel really is. He's more of a sniper with a bit of size. Prince is feistier than you give him credit. I would say that he's more of what you describe above than Puempel, but I think that difference is pretty small.

In any case, waiver eligibility I think will trump any of the above differences.
We will see i guess but my money is on Puemple

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dem intangibles.

Prince oozes them.
Funny i didnt see that in his 1 game here ,musta happened while i was in the bathroom .JK,I did see Puemple play some pretty good hockey,enough actually for the coach to give he a look in the top 6 too bad he got hurt though

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
theres no freaking way management risks losing prince over the very small difference between these two players (if there even is one). Just wait 1 damn season....we are rid of neil...who knows what will be up with greening but I cant imagine hes still here unless hes on the team contributing this year. chiasson could be traded by that point too.....there should be plenty of space for all of the rookies the next season.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
theres no freaking way management risks losing prince over the very small difference between these two players (if there even is one). Just wait 1 damn season....we are rid of neil...who knows what will be up with greening but I cant imagine hes still here unless hes on the team contributing this year. chiasson could be traded by that point too.....there should be plenty of space for all of the rookies the next season.
Puemple,s upside is better than Prince,s ,IMHO.But yes i would like to see both

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad