Line Combos: Opening Night Roster

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lazar-Pageau-Condra punished opposing teams by penning them into their own zone, generating turnovers, drawing penalties and generally making life miserable for the d-men trying to make plays in their own end.

Best fourth (third by the end of the season) line we've had in quite some time.

I mean, this was a guy who was on the bubble/block going into the season (Condra), a guy who was sent to the AHL after not producing after his playoff heroics (Pageau), and a rookie (Lazar).

Physical punishment is one thing, but you have to have the wheels to make it happen, and not put yourself out of position doing it.

aragorn said:
Next yr Phillips & Neil will both most likely be gone & I expect during this yr a couple of other positions/players will also be decided this season. Fans just have to be patient for one more season & I think some of the things people are talking about the organization doing will play themselves out with the respect that should be given to loyal players. The NhL is transitioning & so are the Sens.

That's probably fair, but I also don't want to be sacrificing wins in the standings out of loyalty, that's all.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Ryan on the left side is interesting, mostly because we haven't really experimented with this much since he arrived. Presumably Cameron ran this by Bobby - who needs to have a strong start to get the clear invisible piano off his back - and I could see him being pretty comfortable with his versatile stick skills, to come off the off wing. The one timer will be there at least. He did play the left side with Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim for extended periods, so it's not totally foreign for him. Still, the entire organization really needs Ryan to get off to a decent start so late last season becomes a distant memory, rather than a perceived trend. Can't say that it looks like Cameron is worried about it though.

An interesting article written by James Neal about switching to his off-wing, and how it turned him into more of a pure goal scorer by opening things up with his shot. Maybe Ryan finds the same magic?
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/james-neal-predators-sniper/

Or maybe Ryan gets switched back to the right side in the 2nd period of game 1.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
An interesting article written by James Neal about switching to his off-wing, and how it turned him into more of a pure goal scorer by opening things up with his shot. Maybe Ryan finds the same magic?

Off wing is much better in the offensive zone, but harder to exit the defensive. It made a noticeable difference in my junior career (at an obviously much lower level). Much easier to get a shot off and much better angles to shoot at on net.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Off wing is much better in the offensive zone, but harder to exit the defensive. It made a noticeable difference in my junior career (at an obviously much lower level). Much easier to get a shot off and much better angles to shoot at on net.

To play your off wing effectively you need pretty good hands.. Able to take a pass and give a pass on your backhand almost equally as well. As a shooter the off wing does open up the angle from your off wing position for sure.

BigBush*

Did anyone predicting the opening roster correctly? Lazar in the top 6, hard to predict that

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
So not Opening Night, but still roster moves. Cameron juggled some lines, but I'd hope will inject something different in Columbus and OPittsburgh. Like to see

MacArthur - Turris - Stone Cameron reunited them, should wake MacArthur up
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan Ryan needs to get off the snyd and skate
Prince - Pageau - Lazar With Lazar back, Prince adds the "Condra" piece
Michalek - Smith - Chiasson Gives Smith something different
Neil Needs to follow the puck, not the player

Methot - Karlsson Still working at it
Wiercioch - Ceci Someone wake Wiercioch up
Borowiecki - Wideman Give AHL's best a shot
Cowen Needs conditioning

Anderson, O'Conner Need better D in front

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's probably fair, but I also don't want to be sacrificing wins in the standings out of loyalty, that's all.

I don't think we would be sacrificing wins because of having either Neil or Phillips in the lineup. It will be more because of players like Ryan & Zibanejad & others who are not producing secondary scoring for this team that will result in losses much more so than those two who play the least amount on this team these days or because of piss poor defensive play or weak goaltending.

I assume most want more skill in the lineup to help some of the skilled players who are unable to use their skill to score at this time with all that skill & possibly help them to score more with their skill if they had more skill on the team. :sarcasm:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I don't think we would be sacrificing wins because of having either Neil or Phillips in the lineup. It will be more because of players like Ryan & Zibanejad & others who are not producing secondary scoring for this team that will result in losses much more so than those two who play the least amount on this team these days or because of piss poor defensive play or weak goaltending.

I assume most want more skill in the lineup to help some of the skilled players who are unable to use their skill to score at this time with all that skill & possibly help them to score more with their skill if they had more skill on the team. :sarcasm:

Quote of the month! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad