Ontario Reign 19-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Nah, Randy Jones had defensive awareness, just not the abilities to do anything about anything anywhere. Like, he'd stick his guy, but not tie him up. He'd get to the right position, then cough up the puck. He was the strangest player I've ever seen on the Kings.

Clague is frustrating in the Jack Johnson way.

I keep waiting for things to "click" for Clague where he gets it. I'm getting this creepy Deja Vu as I also kept waiting for things to "click" for Forbort.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign are slumping, Grundstrom brought a lot of balance and finish to the team. Not enough talent as far as passing distribution, which is pretty evident in the possession, shot against ratio and lack of scoring right now. Lizotte may be wearing out his welcome in LA (play Prokhorkin at C, just carry one extra forward), as he is not producing offensively despite his efforts and spends a lot of time on his backside. Adding Lizotte and bringing up Bergh from the ECHL would balance this squad again. Imama brings little to the table, Sutter is mistake prone as Center, put him on the wing.

Kempe-Lizotte-Luff
Eyssimont-JAD-Frk
Sutter-Kupari-Rempal
Sodergran-Bergh-Bouma

Or variations of the above would make the team more consistently competitive. Reddekopp once again not in position last night on a couple goals against, Stanton has also been underwhelming on the left side. Brickley has been out injured for at least 3 weeks now, maybe longer.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Lots of reality checks happening for folks on this board that thought youth= instant results. We should all remember that it's hard to play against MEN. Even at the AHL level.

3 way tie for 1st with 16pt is pretty damn good for a bunch of kids learning on the fly.. Only slight disappontment coul dbe Rasmus Kupari but he'll pick it up.. Toby and Mikey look real good as future top 4 Dmen. "If" Vilardi plays, thats a huge gain in talent, skill and size..
Youth=instant results has actually happened and to think... they're still adjusting!

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
@regulate any comments on Durzi? Was hoping he would light up the score sheet once he came back from injury but... nothing?

I think we have to remember with Sean, even though he is a bit older at 21, is that these are 1) his first true games against men 2) he missed about three weeks after being injured in the first period of his first game (possibly a concussion, speculation, but it was a blow to the head/face). So far, he's looked okay, but it's gonna take at a minimum 1 full season down here to see if he can play defense. He already demonstrated he does that look off pass on the PP like no other, just hasn't resulted in anything yet. He needs to get stronger, anticipate better in the neutral zone, and his shot does not look that hard, at least what I have seen so far. He's had a few real good scoring chances but hasn't converted. He plays a risky game on offense, so he'll have to settle down some. Let's check back later in the year to see where he is at. Not directed at you, but too many people expect instantaneous results. Even blue chippers struggle. So of the newbies I have seen down here the last two years, Bjornfot and Vilardi have the "it" factor, everyone else is a work in progress. A lot to like about steady Mikey Anderson too, but it's wise to leave him down here this season for as long as possible, if not the whole year.

Reactions: riznat

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
3 way tie for 1st with 16pt is pretty damn good for a bunch of kids learning on the fly.. Only slight disappontment coul dbe Rasmus Kupari but he'll pick it up.. Toby and Mikey look real good as future top 4 Dmen. "If" Vilardi plays, thats a huge gain in talent, skill and size..
Youth=instant results has actually happened and to think... they're still adjusting!

We are in third place due to winning pct (that's how it works down here since the Pacific Division plays less games due to travel distance than the other divisions), but, yes, the kids are doing okay. I expect one or both of Wagner (not playing well) or Lizotte to be joining the Reign before too long. The Kings 2nd and 3rd line centers have a total of zero goals in 5v5 play 16 games into the season, and that's not okay. Before you ask, I would not send JAD up quite yet (at least I wouldn't), he's not an offensive dynamo and it's good for him to get the PP reps and other situations he would not get in LA. Let Prokhorkin play in LA and see what you have.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
We are in third place due to winning pct (that's how it works down here since the Pacific Division plays less games due to travel distance than the other divisions), but, yes, the kids are doing okay. I expect one or both of Wagner (not playing well) or Lizotte to be joining the Reign before too long. The Kings 2nd and 3rd line centers have a total of zero goals in 5v5 play 16 games into the season, and that's not okay. Before you ask, I would not send JAD up quite yet (at least I wouldn't), he's not an offensive dynamo and it's good for him to get the PP reps and other situations he would not get in LA. Let Prokhorkin play in LA and see what you have.
Agree about Wagner/Lizotte. And JAD too. Would call up Luff to see what he can do. Seems like he's been playing better. Or maybe even one of the vets Frk/Kempe before bringing up JAD.

Reactions: kingsofLA

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
I think we have to remember with Sean, even though he is a bit older at 21, is that these are 1) his first true games against men 2) he missed about three weeks after being injured in the first period of his first game (possibly a concussion, speculation, but it was a blow to the head/face). So far, he's looked okay, but it's gonna take at a minimum 1 full season down here to see if he can play defense. He already demonstrated he does that look off pass on the PP like no other, just hasn't resulted in anything yet. He needs to get stronger, anticipate better in the neutral zone, and his shot does not look that hard, at least what I have seen so far. He's had a few real good scoring chances but hasn't converted. He plays a risky game on offense, so he'll have to settle down some. Let's check back later in the year to see where he is at. Not directed at you, but too many people expect instantaneous results. Even blue chippers struggle. So of the newbies I have seen down here the last two years, Bjornfot and Vilardi have the "it" factor, everyone else is a work in progress. A lot to like about steady Mikey Anderson too, but it's wise to leave him down here this season for as long as possible, if not the whole year.

Thank you, really appreciate your insight regarding the Reign

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I agree, I’d like to see Frk and Luff get a call up. Lizotte and Wagner seem to be regressing on the big club so off to Ontario they should go..
Also agree about letting Prokhorkin play.. if not, then why TF did we bring him over?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I agree, I’d like to see Frk and Luff get a call up. Lizotte and Wagner seem to be regressing on the big club so off to Ontario they should go..
Also agree about letting Prokhorkin play.. if not, then why TF did we bring him over?
I’d agree with that. Lizotte needs to get his offensive game going and Wagner has been poor the last few games and is struggling with even simple passes. Both are good players but they need pulling out of the mess at the big club for a while.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Nice comeback win for the Reign on the road, beating 1st place Iowa 3-2. Austin Strand with 2 goals, including a game winning blast with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. Cal great as usual. Some of the D men got a little sloppy in this game, including Bjornfot, Anderson and Clague. Tighten up boys.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Looks to me like there are 12 Forwards on the Reign Roster after the Luff call up not including Vilardi. So the way I see it there are a few possibilities based on him skating on a line and not listed as an extra skater:

1. They actually intend to play him on Friday
2. He's just filling in for someone not practicing who will play Friday in his place.
3. One of the forwards is hurt/useless and Ontario will go with 7 Dmen in their games this weekend.

Any Reigniacs have any insight?

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Looks to me like there are 12 Forwards on the Reign Roster after the Luff call up not including Vilardi. So the way I see it there are a few possibilities based on him skating on a line and not listed as an extra skater:

1. They actually intend to play him on Friday
2. He's just filling in for someone not practicing who will play Friday in his place.
3. One of the forwards is hurt/useless and Ontario will go with 7 Dmen in their games this weekend.

Any Reigniacs have any insight?

He just ditched the red jersey and participated in 1 full practice after missing a complete year due to a back injury, they don't intend to play him Friday. It was stated he is several weeks away from seeing game action.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign are down to 11 healthy forwards since Frk is still injured, plus I'm not counting Vilardi since he is not yet assigned to the Reign. It's likely they will continue to be cautious, I'd be a bit surprised if he played this weekend. Word is Mason Bergh, who signed an AHL contract with the Reign in the off-season, but was assigned to the ECHL due to numbers, is being called up (reported today by Hoven, not yet official but he disappeared from the Ft Wayne roster today, so it sounds likely). Reign are also known to go with an 11/7 setup, but rolling with 11 forwards is risky in these physical Gulls match ups over the weekend.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Petersen made 40-something saves before getting pulled, Reign got embarassed at home last night, not sure if they all drank right before the game or what. Sweet jerseys though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad