Ontario Reign 19-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign won 2-1, thanks to Cal Petersen. The Reign have been out shot in every game this season, yet improved to 4-1-1. Really kind of a sloppy game, with the Reign being out shot 18-2 in the first period. Played better the rest of the way, but not a whole lot of skill plays being made, and had a difficult time putting two passes together at times. Goals from Luff and LaDue.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Reign won 2-1, thanks to Cal Petersen. The Reign have been out shot in every game this season, yet improved to 4-1-1. Really kind of a sloppy game, with the Reign being out shot 18-2 in the first period. Played better the rest of the way, but not a whole lot of skill plays being made, and had a difficult time putting two passes together at times. Goals from Luff and LaDue.

How did Mikey and Toby look?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
How did Mikey and Toby look?

They were pretty steady. I thought Tobias was better in the first game, he underestimated the speed of opponents a couple of times and was fortunate they weren't scored upon. Tobias did a good job carrying the puck into the offensive zone a few times, he's very smooth. Mikey is just quietly steady. LaDue had a very strong game yesterday.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
i thought they were supposed to dominate this year. whats happened so far?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
i thought they were supposed to dominate this year. whats happened so far?

Many people are under the impression that because the kid has a good pedigree at 18-19 years old and is a solid NHL prospect that they are going to come into this men's league (some say the 2nd best league in the world, up for debate) as a new pro and show everyone how it's done. Very few accomplish that (Bjornfot has looked very good, Anderson doing well). That is almost always not how things work out. New pro players take some time to gel at pro hockey. A lot of players, while they may be marginal NHLers or even never play in the NHL, have been in the AHL for many years and know the ropes. With the Reign, they have a mix of brand new pros with some skill (Kupari, JAD), some 2nd year pros with limited skill to downright meh, and a few nice vet additions this year in Stanton, Bouma, Frk and Kempe (all marginal NHLers or veteran AHLers). But you have to remember too, these guys are all learning the new Kings system, and sometimes inconsistent execution at this level makes the transition take longer. The good news is they are winning, but they are spending way too much time in their own zone. If this group stays together this season (hard to say how many are pouched by the Kings), they have a chance to be a playoff team for sure, but they had better tighten up the ship some, Petersen is not going to bail you out every game and the team is very thin in goal after him. Even when the won the opening game 5-0, they were out shot. You also have to remember this was the worst team in the AHL last year (31 out of 31) , so you're not likely gonna jump for 31st to 1st in a few weeks. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to be negative about our prospects. And if Vilardi joins this team soon, he can certainly improve our possession numbers, which goes a long way to turning the tide and the tilt of the ice.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
They're a young and exciting team for sure, not sure if they can dominate the A yet though. This is arguably a higher level of hockey than many of these kids have ever played, after all.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't like the Phillips move.

He sure needs to play, but there's a lot of AHL filler on the Ontario blueline too.

Kind of a rock and a hard place I suppose.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That's the price of keeping Bjornfot in NA, and sending LaDue down. Brickley and Durzi still have to come back too. Stanton I guess has to be the designated vet leader, but it probably wasn't an absolutely necessary signing. Hutton taking a spot for Forbort, and then if Forbort eventually comes back. There was pretty much always going to be a logjam on D in Ontario, and that was before they were dead set on keeping Bjornfot here.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
That's the price of keeping Bjornfot in NA, and sending LaDue down. Brickley and Durzi still have to come back too. Stanton I guess has to be the designated vet leader, but it probably wasn't an absolutely necessary signing. Hutton taking a spot for Forbort, and then if Forbort eventually comes back. There was pretty much always going to be a logjam on D in Ontario, and that was before they were dead set on keeping Bjornfot here.

Doughty
Hutton
Martinez
Forbort
Walker
Roy
Ryan
MacDermid

Anderson
Bjornfot
Clague
Brickley
Strand
Phillips
Durzi
LaDue
Reddekopp

Hults
Moverare

What logjam???

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You don't think 9 defensemen is a logjam? 10 if you include Stanton, who has the AHL contract, and has played every game so far. Most teams don't want 8D on a roster, let alone more, and both the Kings and Reign are going to have to pick and choose between that many? If only 6 play, and 4 usually more than the other 2, that's what I would define as a logjam. A lot of extra bodies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
You don't think 9 defensemen is a logjam? 10 if you include Stanton, who has the AHL contract, and has played every game so far. Most teams don't want 8D on a roster, let alone more, and both the Kings and Reign are going to have to pick and choose between that many? If only 6 play, and 4 usually more than the other 2, that's what I would define as a logjam. A lot of extra bodies.

I agree, there are too many at Ontario. LaDue has some value though for the organization because he's an RHD, especially for the Reign, and he was praised by Stothers for his excellent game in BAKO the other night as he finally seems to be healthy, but maybe they try and throw him in at the trade deadline as a secondary asset since he'll be a UFA. There is also the possibility of Reddekopp not getting a QO in June, and of course Ryan, Hutton and Forbort are all UFA's plus Martinez is rumored to be on the block, so maybe the logjam will let up a bit next season.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

You missed the sarcasm...
Yes, we're loaded to the teeth with Dman with more coming so its time to package some in deals and draft some more

Reactions: KingsFan7824
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad