Ontario Reign 19-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
and you'll still have Hults, Moverare and Phillips needing a spot on top of what was mentioned

1-3 of Clague/Bjorn/Anderson will be in the NHL. And Brickley may be sacrificed or be the vet presence.

Lets also remember the Kings have been relatively injury free on D at both levels. That usually ends up creating space as well.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Is this the summer that the Kings will start trading 1 or 2 of their defensemen prospects? It could always come back to bite you, but we’re getting a huge log jam here. Or should they look for a full time ECHL affiliate to bring some of the overflow players to?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
1-3 of Clague/Bjorn/Anderson will be in the NHL. And Brickley may be sacrificed or be the vet presence.

Lets also remember the Kings have been relatively injury free on D at both levels. That usually ends up creating space as well.
Its still going to be a logjam in Ontario..
Anderson-Clague
Brickley-Durzi
Moverare-Strand
Hults
Phillips

Reactions: regulate

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Is this the summer that the Kings will start trading 1 or 2 of their defensemen prospects? It could always come back to bite you, but we’re getting a huge log jam here. Or should they look for a full time ECHL affiliate to bring some of the overflow players to?

They already have an ECHL affiliate, the Ft Wayne Komets. Reddekopp, Gottlieb, Morrison, Bergh and Rymsha are playing there.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
If Anderson or Clague Marie it there is literally no log jam?
Mikey might but thats probably 20-25 games into next season.. But, "what if" neither Anderson/Bjornfot/Clague make it... Then we're f***ed! someone will need to be traded unless you think we'll be playing an all rookie left side?

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
They already have an ECHL affiliate, the Ft Wayne Komets. Reddekopp, Gottlieb, Morrison, Bergh and Rymsha are playing there.
Don’t they share that affiliate? I was referring to something like they had with Manchester - more control over the coaching and style of play, etc. I didn’t think they have that with Ft. Wayne, maybe I’m wrong.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Honestly see Bjornfot AND Clague both becoming regular NHLers next season which really helps the defense situation in Ontario.

Bjornfot really seems to be ready. Will he be incredibly young? Yes. Will he make some mistakes? Of course. But I really think he's going to be ready to make the jump and should be relatively solid.

Clague could also see regular playing time with the Kings. Yes, he still has a lot of work to do defensively, but that will likely be a work in progress for a while and probably won't ever be a strength of his game. He has pretty dynamic offensive skill and the Kings could definitely use that in their lineup. Some players you have to sacrifice a little defensively because of what they bring offensively.. Clague is absolutely one of those players. It sounds like he's going to spend a lot of time with the Kings after the TDL so we'll get a better idea before the season is over.

Yes, that would be a very young/inexperienced left side next year, but sometimes that's what happens in a rebuild. Can't really see the Kings trading away defensive prospects just yet, but we'll see.

Reactions: LAKings88

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Honestly see Bjornfot AND Clague both becoming regular NHLers next season which really helps the defense situation in Ontario.

Bjornfot really seems to be ready. Will he be incredibly young? Yes. Will he make some mistakes? Of course. But I really think he's going to be ready to make the jump and should be relatively solid.

Clague could also see regular playing time with the Kings. Yes, he still has a lot of work to do defensively, but that will likely be a work in progress for a while and probably won't ever be a strength of his game. He has pretty dynamic offensive skill and the Kings could definitely use that in their lineup. Some players you have to sacrifice a little defensively because of what they bring offensively.. Clague is absolutely one of those players. It sounds like he's going to spend a lot of time with the Kings after the TDL so we'll get a better idea before the season is over.

Yes, that would be a very young/inexperienced left side next year, but sometimes that's what happens in a rebuild. Can't really see the Kings trading away defensive prospects just yet, but we'll see.

What I bolded is exactly the reason he will not be in the lineup to start next season. If a Dman prospect has had difficulties with his defensive assignments the NHL is not the place to work those out... You're more likely to see Mikey Anderson in the lineup or Daniel Brickley(should he ever remain healthy).. What we are likely to do is hit the UFA market and sign stopgap Dmen for the next 2 seasons

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
What I bolded is exactly the reason he will not be in the lineup to start next season. If a Dman prospect has had difficulties with his defensive assignments the NHL is not the place to work those out... You're more likely to see Mikey Anderson in the lineup or Daniel Brickley(should he ever remain healthy).. What we are likely to do is hit the UFA market and sign stopgap Dmen for the next 2 seasons

Fair enough and I can't disagree with you that the NHL isn't the place to work out defensive inefficiencies. However, the organization itself seems to consider Clague more NHL ready than Anderson. The Mayer (John Hoven) even tweeted about how we're going to see Clague get a lot of games with the Kings after the TDL.

It's really going to depend on how he does in those (I'm guessing) 15-20ish games. Orrrrr, you could be right and he could end up being up and down between the Kings and Reign next season. If I had to bet though, I'd say we see MUCH more Clague in the NHL from the TDL on to the end of next season than we see Mikey Anderson.

Regardless, I agree the Kings will likely sign a stopgap NHL d-man for the next year or two.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Fair enough and I can't disagree with you that the NHL isn't the place to work out defensive inefficiencies. However, the organization itself seems to consider Clague more NHL ready than Anderson. The Mayer (John Hoven) even tweeted about how we're going to see Clague get a lot of games with the Kings after the TDL.

It's really going to depend on how he does in those (I'm guessing) 15-20ish games. Orrrrr, you could be right and he could end up being up and down between the Kings and Reign next season. If I had to bet though, I'd say we see MUCH more Clague in the NHL from the TDL on to the end of next season than we see Mikey Anderson.

Regardless, I agree the Kings will likely sign a stopgap NHL d-man for the next year or two.
Clague got the call up as a reward for his play and because they felt he needed some NHL exposure, which is what you should do with your AHL prospects. I think we'll see a rotation of Clague, Bjornfot, Anderson, Brickley and probably LaDue again...

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
where??
I cant find the article
I have a sub to the athletic. Click the discover tab at the bottom of the screen and search vilard . Its the first article

In all honesty it was a fluff piece. No real new news on Vilardis future

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I don't know how long Gabe will be up with the Kings, but look for a paper transaction (demotion/recall the next day) for the some Kings waiver-exempt players (including Gabe) to occur at the trade deadline. Players eligible to participate in the Calder Cup playoffs must be on an AHL roster at the trade deadline. I don't know if they will consider Wagner, Lizotte or Prokhorkin (I would), but I imagine Frk (if still exempt, he's getting close to the threshold) and Petersen might be in that group since they played most of the season in ONT.

Reactions: lumbergh

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I don't know how long Gabe will be up with the Kings, but look for a paper transaction (demotion/recall the next day) for the some Kings waiver-exempt players (including Gabe) to occur at the trade deadline. Players eligible to participate in the Calder Cup playoffs must be on an AHL roster at the trade deadline. I don't know if they will consider Wagner, Lizotte or Prokhorkin (I would), but I imagine Frk (if still exempt, he's getting close to the threshold) and Petersen might be in that group since they played most of the season in ONT.
They should send all the guys down that they can.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

A poor defensive read by Durzi leads to a breakaway and the only Eagles goal in regulation. Duriz has a poor game on both sides of the ice. Matt Villalta continues to shine as a 20 year old rookie, takes the loss in OT. Luff gets burned in coverage off the draw in OT, Villalta makes the save, but LaDue attempts to poke the puck over to Luff on the rebound to maintain possession in OT but doesn't get enough of it, TJ Tynan puts the puck between Villalta's pads for the win. Reign are barely holding onto a playoff spot by 1 pt, but the Gulls have games in hand. Kings have signed Kevin Poulin to a contract after the Reign had signed him to a PTO. Poulin is a veteran journeymen goaltender who looked good in his only start for the Reign. Kings placed Poulin on waivers this morning, if he clears he play for the Reign the remainder of the season barring a call up, and will be eligible for the Calder Cup playoffs should the Reign make it. This may mean Petersen will not be sent down at the end of the season, which I respect. He's 25 and paid his dues.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Congratulations to Head Coach Mike Stothers, coaching his 400th game for the Monarchs/Reign today.
The Reign still have to make the playoffs, but it's fun to be chattering about how they've turned their season around and picturing our young guys in the post season. Stothers is doing a great job guiding the boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad