Ontario Reign 19-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I have got to admit, I was a bit disappointed when the Kings took Bjornfot in the first round (Tomasino was the guy I was hoping for), but he is having a hell of a year. I know it’s the not the greatest stat in the world, but he leads the ENTIRE TEAM in +/- and with the goal tonight is on pace to be the second or third highest scoring 18 year old defenseman in AHL history (will be competing with Seider for 2nd ever behind Sandin). He will likely pass Voynov’s 18 year old scoring, which is not bad for a guy who is not projected to produce much offense at the NHL level.
The problem is people use goals and assists solely to guage a defensemans offensive game which is ridiculous. Tobys skating and IQ alone will make him valuable in the O zone

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Whatever happened with Södergran..... the guy who, during rookie camp, resembled (and I don't know who I'm quoting here but I'll still use quotes) "a man amongst boys". Is being "a man amongst boys" supposed to translate into 2 goals and a -10 over 46 games? I'm confused on this point.....

Thanks!!!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Whatever happened with Södergran..... the guy who, during rookie camp, resembled (and I don't know who I'm quoting here but I'll still use quotes) "a man amongst boys". Is being "a man amongst boys" supposed to translate into 2 goals and a -10 over 46 games? I'm confused on this point.....

Thanks!!!

I haven't seen a lot, but you are ignoring tons of factors, most importantly include:
- being a rookie
- adjusting to North American ice
- adjusting to the schedule
- deployment

While also ignoring that, even when he looked good, he's a 7th round pick. These are players not expected to dominate.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Thanks!!!

Pro tip: unless you're talking the high end top of the draft guys, don't get invested in prospects. A quality draft is getting 2 players of some kind out of the standard 7 picks. About 29%. Multiply that by the 11 picks the Kings have this year, and what you hope for is 3 future Kings. The 1st has to hit big, and then you hope you get a 3rd line checker, and 5th D from the rest(if you can get more, it only helps in terms of Cup contention). But, you don't know from which pick you'll get it, so you don't want to get invested in any specific mid round pick, as they are all very unlikely to ever do anything. Let time do its thing, and eventually the wheat gets separated from the chaff.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
LoL! So, you dudes are saying Södergran is NOT, in fact, a "man amongst boys"...??? :laugh:

This board cracks me up. So many people here take themselves very, VERY seriously!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Pro tip: unless you're talking the high end top of the draft guys, don't get invested in prospects. A quality draft is getting 2 players of some kind out of the standard 7 picks. About 29%. Multiply that by the 11 picks the Kings have this year, and what you hope for is 3 future Kings. The 1st has to hit big, and then you hope you get a 3rd line checker, and 5th D from the rest(if you can get more, it only helps in terms of Cup contention). But, you don't know from which pick you'll get it, so you don't want to get invested in any specific mid round pick, as they are all very unlikely to ever do anything. Let time do its thing, and eventually the wheat gets separated from the chaff.

That's kind of a boring way to look at things, especially on a website is called hockeysfuture. Let people enjoy watching prospects, let them be excited about their potential. Every person on this site knows about the odds of different round picks making it, mostly because it is repeated so many times anytime a non lottery prospect is talked about. If you don't want to get invested that is fine, but there is no reason to tell people to not pay attention to prospects(again on a website called hockeyfuture). I am excited about the potential of Mikey Anderson, Arthur Kaliyev, Samuel Fagemo, Tyler Madden, JAD, Akil Thomas, Kale Clague, Sean Durzi, Carl Grunnstrom, Aiden Dudas and Kim Nousiainen even thought they are not first round draft picks. It's fun checking in on them and seeing how they are doing.

I also think your analysis of post 1st round picks only producing 5th D or checking line forwards is a bit myopic, I mean the top line for the Lightning currently has a 2nd, 3rd and 7th rounder on it. I think teams are now drafting more high ceiling, low floor players in the later rounds that have the potential to be breakout stars. While before teams tended to shop for sturdy defensive players in those rounds.

Reactions: lumbergh

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
LoL! So, you dudes are saying Södergran is NOT, in fact, a "man amongst boys"...??? :laugh:

This board cracks me up. So many people here take themselves very, VERY seriously!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We're answering your question.

And just because someone looks good in camp doesn't mean they have a great season or even a career.

Didn't you learn this from your years of fawning over Kitsyn?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

If you ever wonder why you don't get a good answer ever again, this'll be why. Planting a seed to start an argument, getting a legit response, then dismissing it with smarmy bullshit.

Vs. his age peers at devcamp he could do whatever the hell he wanted against people his age. Will be interesting to see how that adapts and how he continues to use that when he actually gets his man strength...like most prospects who play a body game.

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020

Thanks!!!
LA should of left in Sweden. I’m not sure why Stothers thought it was a great idea to put Kupari and Sodergran together until almost WJC (so it wasn’t just the guys in here who saw upside). He is only 20 and is either not ready for the AHL or/and (unpopular opinion) Stothers Sucks at developing players.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
LA should of left in Sweden. I’m not sure why Stothers thought it was a great idea to put Kupari and Sodergran together until almost WJC (so it wasn’t just the guys in here who saw upside). He is only 20 and is either not ready for the AHL or/and (unpopular opinion) Stothers Sucks at developing players.

Kupari and Sodergran together? I don't think they played a lot together. Kupari was 1st/2nd liner (after Vilardi started to play 2nd/3rd liner) and Sodergran 4th liner. Kupari's LW was an other swede, Mario Kempe (when he was still in Ontario). Sodergran has played mostly with Imama (Rymsha, Doty, Bergh, Bouma, etc.)

I like Sodergran and I think that he has more NHL-potential than guys Rempal or Eyssimont, but Stothers obviously doesn't think same way.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
This loan swap of players is likely due to the Reign only having 3 centers (they have been double shifting JAD), Spacek is a center. This leaves the Reign with only 6D for now. Could call up Reddekopp or Mikey A could be coming back later in the week. Reign don't play until this weekend in Colorado.
It also likely ends Brickley's L.A. career I'd imagine. I cant think of this happening previously. A player on an NHL deal not being traded but loaned for another guy on an NHL deal?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
It also likely ends Brickley's L.A. career I'd imagine. I cant think of this happening previously. A player on an NHL deal not being traded but loaned for another guy on an NHL deal?

I don't think so. This was a loan of necessity for the Reign to get a temporary center. The loan makes it possible for both players to have their guy back for the playoffs should the team qualify. Could also be short term if Vilardi is sent down and JAD does not get pushed up to the Kings. Brickley is signed with the Kings next season.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Really tough weekend for the Reign, only scoring 1 goal in Colorado in 2 games and gaining 0 points while other teams ahead of them gained points in the standing. Reign are in 5th and out of a playoff spot right now, with all teams above them having games in hand.

Reactions: ru4reals

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Samuel Fagemo - Alex Turcotte - Matt Luff
Rasmus Kupari - Tyler Madden - Akil Thomas
Aiden Dudas - Jaret Anderson-Dolan - Johan Sodergran
Veteran - Eyssimont - Veteran

Daniel Brickley - Kale Clague
Jacob Moverare - Sean Durzi
Markus Phillips - Austin Strand

Matt Villalta - Jacob Ingham

Thats a damn loaded team.. lets hope we get the season started on time and these kids gel quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad