OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Quite the nice little run we've had on AI and chip stocks and Crypto. And barely into Crypto spring on this cycle, gonna be a fun 18 months.
Ive stayed away from crypto the last few years because of the volatility but in anticipation of a likely bull run leading up to the halving event this spring I made a sizeable buy when it dipped in January. I generally wouldn’t do something so risky but a friend of mine who is all about crypto and was in that racket very early on, he’s been on a tangent about the halving bull run and how it’s basically free money. He’s looking very right at the moment, it’s been an absolutely wild few weeks and especially this last week. Anxiety inducing.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Ive stayed away from crypto the last few years because of the volatility but in anticipation of a likely bull run leading up to the halving event this spring I made a sizeable buy when it dipped in January. I generally wouldn’t do something so risky but a friend of mine who is all about crypto and was in that racket very early on, he’s been on a tangent about the halving bull run and how it’s basically free money. He’s looking very right at the moment, it’s been an absolutely wild few weeks and especially this last week. Anxiety inducing.
Been a fabulous run, and really, barring any black swan macro events, we are really only in crypto spring of the next cycle, so if this pattern is similar to other cycles, should be a bull run well into 2025. Will be lots of corrections, probably 20%+, but for those with big balls, those will just be buying ops. The spot bitcoin ETF's being approved in the US in January was huge, as the demand is massively outstripping supply of bitcoin at this point. Eth ETF is next up on the docket for approval, if that gets approved, that will just add more fuel to the fire. Slowly but surely people are waking up to the utility function of the underlying blockchains and the value they possess.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
So for our mechanical gurus out there, I have a puzzling situation. I can generally diagnose a few things but can’t fix shit, unless it’s pretty basic.

So, during the brutal cold snap a month ago where it got to -45 or colder for 10 days or so, my truck started to leak antifreeze from where the upper road hose is attached to the rad. Fearing the worst I had a cracked outlet on the rad, I took it in hut they weren’t able to look at it for a week due to other vehicles breaking down. Anyways, take it in…they do a pressure test and all that, can’t get it to piss a drop. Holds pressure, won’t leak. They put some new clamps on, sent me on my way.

Truck has been good but then this quick little two day cold snap hits and another f***ing puddle of coolant under the front, sure enough leaking again from the same spot. It’s warmed up today, drove it home after work and no puddle.

My next move is to replace the upper rad hose and put oem compression clamps back on to see if this solves it. Any of you mechanics or DIY’ers ever see this where coolant only leaks when it gets cold out and what the fix was? Something is obviously shrinking enough to allow coolant to bypass. I know I replaced one of the hoses about two years ago (don’t recall if it was upper or lower) so maybe I just have a shitty hose if it was the upper one.

Did you watch this video?

At the roughly 2:20 mark he seems to describe your issue in more detail but maybe for context the entire video might be useful to you.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Been a fabulous run, and really, barring any black swan macro events, we are really only in crypto spring of the next cycle, so if this pattern is similar to other cycles, should be a bull run well into 2025. Will be lots of corrections, probably 20%+, but for those with big balls, those will just be buying ops. The spot bitcoin ETF's being approved in the US in January was huge, as the demand is massively outstripping supply of bitcoin at this point. Eth ETF is next up on the docket for approval, if that gets approved, that will just add more fuel to the fire. Slowly but surely people are waking up to the utility function of the underlying blockchains and the value they possess.
Yeah I don’t have the sack to let it ride into 2025. We’ll see how things go in the spring but I’m probably taking my initial and some earnings. Maybe go 50/50 on the earnings take half leave half.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For you crypto enthusiast have you given much consideration to recent advances in quantum computing? While quantum computers threaten a lot of our banking and financial systems, that issue is certainly being addressed. However, it seems pretty obvious that they could devastate the whole blockchain industry and I have no idea if this is even being considered.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
For you crypto enthusiast have you given much consideration to recent advances in quantum computing? While quantum computers threaten a lot of our banking and financial systems, that issue is certainly being addressed. However, it seems pretty obvious that they could devastate the whole blockchain industry and I have no idea if this is even being considered.
For sure it has been discussed and developers have been working on cryptographic solutions for a while now. The crypto dev group has some pretty bright minds in the community, and a couple of the solutions sound promising. It’s a concern, but may end up actually being beneficial to crypto if ideas like quantum ledgers can be implemented.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For sure it has been discussed and developers have been working on cryptographic solutions for a while now. The crypto dev group has some pretty bright minds in the community, and a couple of the solutions sound promising. It’s a concern, but may end up actually being beneficial to crypto if ideas like quantum ledgers can be implemented.
I have no doubt that it would eventually be a benefit. My concern would be with the near term. Access to quantum computers will certainly not be main stream so it is very possible that the whole market ends up in turmoil. I know a lot of people working in the area of quantum information and quantum cryptography including some of my former students. I have never seen them so optimistic that significant quantum computers are very much on the near horizon.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Has anyone looked at the prices of the Ice Districts online store?

Seriously...lol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I have no doubt that it would eventually be a benefit. My concern would be with the near term. Access to quantum computers will certainly not be main stream so it is very possible that the whole market ends up in turmoil. I know a lot of people working in the area of quantum information and quantum cryptography including some of my former students. I have never seen them so optimistic that significant quantum computers are very much on the near horizon.
I tend to continue to put my extra cash in low event portfolios. Doesn't generate the big potential explosions, but I need to sleep well at night.:D

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I tend to continue to put my extra cash in low event portfolios. Doesn't generate the big potential explosions, but I need to sleep well at night.:D
What are the interest rates like up there for certificates of deposits for example?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
That's pretty solid but if there is like here that doesn't even cover inflation.
GIC’s are fine if you are in wealth preservation mode, as it basically at best gets you to a break even position after taxes. Those in wealth creation mode are willing to take on more risk for the potential greater return. Really depends on the cycle the market is in, age and financial circumstances of the investor.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad